Makefile biuild system overhaul

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.

Commit Change

Poll ended at Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:34 am

Yes
50%
Yes
50%
No
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 6

balloyd1
Trader
Trader

Makefile biuild system overhaul

Post by balloyd1 »

The autoconf makefile build system had not been well maintained as changes to the tool have occurred.

The following items are being done to fix the build system.

Moving to a single Makefile build system. All dependencies will be stored in a single file.
Added some programs build through scripts to the Makefile, and removed those build scripts.

Removing the src/boost and src/boost129 directories and adding a boost subdirectory that will contain all integrated versions of boost under it. Integrating a new version of boost should take no more than 15 minutes!

Fixed the build system to refer to all files. Some files that had to be listed in EXTRA_DIST really should be listed as sources, but their file names will have to change before this occurs. However, make dist now works!

Added tests for OGRE, and made Mesher buildable without Ogre if Ogre is not available.

Better OS/X support (still in work). This will be continued after the OS/X servers on the Sourceforge compile farm are brought back.

Much of the work has been completed. However, because this is a large and sweeping change, I have not commited it yet.

Please download my sources from vegastrike.sourceforge.net/files/vegast ... .4.tar.bz2 and let me know how it works for you if you are building on LINUX. Any comments appreciated.

One problem I have is that the automake 1.9.X is required. The reason for this is because we have exceeded the 99 character filename limit imposed by the v7 tar format. automake 1.9.X supports other tar formats that have a higher path limit. I would like to hear opinions on whether we should strive to get under the 99 char limit or if using automake 1.9.X is acceptable. Note, most fairly recent tar versions (last several years) can untar the resulting tarball, but it takes a newer autotool to produce the files.