ISO standard required recoding

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

ISO standard required recoding

Post by wirser »

After an extended absense from being involved in any meaningful way. Alot has changed too
Short of this is I have finally gotten back to being to work on some FOSS stuff. It appears vegastrike is in some need of help

Here is what I've discovered
! I can build svn code but not 0.5.1r1 (yet)
2 running prog does not display objects such as ships, planets and other targets
a opengl tutoial #2 produces similar effect until properly init'd (may produce simple fix but I need to see it)
3 valgrind tool report various problem of memory leaks and out of boundary activity
4 both the current opengl tutorial and vulkan (can you say valve) have differing approaches which are more hardware oriented
5 compiler output shows lots of warnings about auto_ptr being depreciated. while not fatal it makes finding bigger problems more difficult. The "standard" remedy replaces "auto_ptr" with "unique_ptr", this seems to work in most instances but at least one fails to compile.

Anyone still reading this must be bored by now

Ive got call graphs for the source , I ran doxygen, I bet if printed whole galaxies would be deforested

What I intend to do is study opengl and vulkan tutorials and try to get vs graphics to display a bit at a time. If this can be done eventually all of the graphics problems will go away . (you all can get off the floor now). A problem with vulkan is it is 64 bit only at present. I don't know if this will get anywhere but for now I can work on it.
There is also a third way which involves using directx which is closed source,therefore not viable for this project

I'll post when something happens
if current_situation=fact and if current_situation=faith
then current_forcast = excitement
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: ISO standard required recoding

Post by loki1950 »

As for vulkan being 64-bit have you seen any 32-bit cpu's for sale lately ;) and if you have an older 32-bit cpu you need to compile your own kernel for most current Linux distro.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by wirser »

Oh I See

soo the same idea would apply to gpu's as well

and if the idea of supporting the newest of the distros (Say bye to boost_subdir)
just speculating

just grepping for depreciated opengl calls the other day, i didn't have any not found which means this is ver 1,x of opengl.
per both opengl and vulkan both say better hardware usage is achievable. Not to mention nobody supports ver 1.x except telling to ver 3.x or better

Finally where to pick up the data ? ( I really don't see a VS coded module to just drop in and run)
wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by wirser »

I am trying to get my head around where opengl needs to be modernized

Just one teenie problem

The old code that needs to be changed is ALL over
(at least more than one file

I don't know if it duplicate code ( more than one call to "glColor* fro 8 other VS code
( pointy rock make pain go away)
btw the glmatrix cmds are also depreciated as well
I had the silly idea that one program handled all the graphics (or at least hand it to the opengl api)

And the tutorials are way different
Maybe this is beyond me
wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by wirser »

with the matrix functions depreciate is it ok to use boost matrix instead?
another alternative is from glm (gl math lib), is there someway of testing performance?
wirser
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by wirser »

attempts to replace "auto_ptr" with "unique_ptr" almost compiled
after looking I found "shared_ptr" and successfully replaced all "auto_ptr" with "shared_ptr"
compiler output went from 1 Mb to 199 k. btw it did run with invisible objects still

underneath the 800k of auto_ptr warnings I did find some interesting warnings
some more depreaciated warnings and a strange warning being redefined

Code: Select all

In file included from /home/enon/build/vseng/vegastrike/src/gldrv/gl_texture.cpp:25:0:
/home/enon/build/vseng/vegastrike/src/vegastrike.h:76:0: warning: "__glext_h_" redefined
   #define __glext_h_

In file included from /home/enon/build/vseng/vegastrike/src/gldrv/gl_globals.h:118:0,
                 from /home/enon/build/vseng/vegastrike/src/gldrv/gl_texture.cpp:23:
/usr/include/GL/glext.h:2:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
 #define __glext_h_ 1
here is a list of the files I changed I'll make a diff patch when I get all depreciated warnings cleared
  • ./src/cmd/unit.h
    ./src/universe_generic.h
    ./src/gfx/technique.cpp
    ./src/gfx/radar/plane_display.h
    ./src/gfx/radar/radar.h
    ./src/gfx/radar/sphere_display.h
    ./src/gfx/radar/bubble_display.h
    ./src/gfx/radar/radar.cpp
    ./src/gfx/cockpit.h
    ./src/faction_generic.h