2D (RPG) parts - compile with system bicycle

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

2D (RPG) parts - compile with system bicycle

Post by TBeholder »

I hit on an amusing idea.
What if we stopped inventing more bicycles than necessary and also more than we can build and paint? It could be easier to handle NPC interaction, along with most of the "base-walking" part and perhaps quests, via an existing, documented and supported engine? It's not unique, nor does it require realtime integration with the physics engine, etc.
This could reduce the total amount of non-essential Very Custom Stuff (anything beyond what we have now, and rewrite of some of that) which all needs to be written, debugged and supported, yet still somewhat expand capabilities.
Since VS already uses Python, one of the most obvious choices is Ren'Py.
We'd need to support embedded ship/component view and custom screens (maps, cargo/component/ship trade, partially save/load) - but this still reduces the whole mess to a few known functions done with callbacks.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
Itusa
Hunter
Hunter

Re: 2D (RPG) parts - compile with system bicycle

Post by Itusa »

If you mean more quests, we have one quest that could use some extending...
Operating System: (Linux) Ubuntu 16.10 (Yakkety)
Vegastrike-taose: 0.5.1
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

I mean, everything that is on Python and involves interface - menu, bases/fixers, most mission stuff, maybe navigation. And since integrating parts of menu, navigation and base interfaces into mostly-in-Universe control panel is a good idea anyway, it makes sense to have one thing handling them all.
If it's possible to work with such an engine, this leaves everything between API and scripts outside VS - with nice, already written, debugged and maintained software. And it's probably less of a headache to overhaul once and leave it to pre-existing tools, than go through all this mess and fix it all by the time there will be the next version of Python, requiring another overhaul. ;]
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

We have someone working on the Python side ATM

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2