SF upgrade (Allura)

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
klauss
Elite
Elite

SF upgrade (Allura)

Post by klauss »

Hey guys.

As you may or may not know, SF is migrating to a new platform they call Allura.

We have two ways to migrate our projects - voluntarily, by hitting an "upgrade" button, or forcibly, when they migrate all projects automatically.

We should consider moving voluntarily to avoid surprises. I'm thinking, we could move one of the low-visibility projects, make sure everything works ok, and then move the rest.

The one I'm thinking about is the "vs tools" one. We could hit migrate, check that its source repo works (maybe make a backup first?), and then check that the website also works and we have access to modifying/updating it.

It's your baby, pheonixstorm, so I leave this one up to you.

I'm making this public as a kind of heads-up for everyone else. SVN will, for example, also migrate to another URL, so people need to know.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: SF upgrade (Allura)

Post by pheonixstorm »

I hated it. SVN did not work right and required ssh to use.. this may have been fixed by now but I don't know. I can go ahead and convert though... it is a real odd new design. You may not like it either.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Now we can also move to launchpad or git hub.

End for the website we can move to my server.
And be site this i think we need soon to switch CMS and this can be fix switch servers.
Be site we need to create a dns server for manage our domines (vega-strike.org and vegastrikeonline.org) current i menage the Domain Name and i wand some one else manage the dns servers be site me.
Sorry that i get this off topic but is also some fall back for the project.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

pheonixstorm wrote:I hated it. SVN did not work right and required ssh to use.. this may have been fixed by now but I don't know. I can go ahead and convert though... it is a real odd new design. You may not like it either.
Octave-forge moved, and although the instructions for checking out from SVN said to use ssh, I tried http and https and they worked just the same. And in any case, we can complain and make them fix it before we move the main project ;)
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Well, since we don't use much on the sf project page we won't have too much to deal with. As long as svn continues to work I see no problem moving the project. SSH was only need for comitt access though as update worked normally. I would hope by now they got it fixed though. If I upgrade the tools repo to allura and svn is still broken i think I will change the main tools over to git.

While I still don't entirely understand the git commands etc the github app makes using git for my Warzone project a breeze.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I prefer mercurial, but mercurial doesn't handle large binary blobs very well.
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I updated the tools project. Go check it out whenever you want.

We cannot at this time update VS or any other projects though. Tracker does not move over so we will have to start over if we do. Hope that gets fixed before everyone gets forced to move.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, it says it should move project data. The notification I got said it was "in the process of migrating data", and that I would receive a notification when it's done. I haven't. I'll give it some time, and if nothing happens, I'll write to SF to let them know something went wrong.

Edit: I do see some data. Honestly, I don't know what was there on the previous tracker for ppueditor. If there's one ticket, maybe that was it. Pheonix?
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Ok, missed that in the upgraded parts then. Thought it wasn't there.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, it took some time to set up the ssh keys, but SVN seems fine too. History and all.
Wing Commander Universe
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

So are there any differences for those of us that are just pulling from SVN or will the SVN client we use just handle it :?:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The URL is new, the old repo still works though, which is a problem (people won't know we upgraded if they don't see this).

Luckily, we're few ;)

You can't relocate the repo rightaway, the repos have different uuids. To avoid having to perform a clean checkout, which is a pain for us, you can force it with a little search-and-replace:

Code: Select all

find -path '*/.svn/entries' -exec sed -i 's/olduuid/newuuid/' {} \;
(replacing olduuid and newuuid as necessary).

Not sure if that works with TortoiseSVN repos, but it does work fine in linux.
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

If a new checkout is in order its fairly easy NOT to have to redownload everything. Just export everything, create the new repo, once it starts downloading cancel then copy the export back in. I haven't tried this with the most recent version of tortoise but it worked a long while back. Will have to check and see what might work easiest for people.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

SF is back to spamming us to upgrade. I asked, and the upgrade process should be ready for VS (it didn't handle huge repos very well, so they asked me to hold on for a bit the first time).

Is everybody OK with me hitting that upgrade button? All repos will be moved, commits to the current SVN will still work, but will be lost because that will be an outdated repo. So we must be on the same page on this.

It's possible, at least in linux, to switch repos without a complete checkout, by carefully editing SVN metadata on the working copy. Not sure about windows, and if you don't know how to edit SVN metadata, it will require a complete fresh checkout.
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

with the windows client it is supposed to be fairly easy though I haven't really tried.
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

www2 wrote:End for the website we can move to my server.
Bad idea.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I'll be hitting the upgrade button tomorrow afternoon, I wanted to give everybody a timely heads-up. I'll post again when I'm about to do it. Say an hour earlier?

If you have something to commit, now's the time. Remember, after the migration, any commits to the old repo will be lost (they will be accepted, but lost).
Wing Commander Universe
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Cool beans. SF streamlined the upgrade process it seems.

svn switch works flawless out-of-the-box

Upgrade done.

Just go to your working copy, and run:

Code: Select all

svn switch --relocate https://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vegastrike/ svn+ssh://<username>@svn.code.sf.net/p/vegastrike/code/
Remember to replace your username. That's linux. Not sure how it's done with tortoise, but I'd expect it to be easy as well.

Enjoy. Lets hope we didn't loose any features. I'll get around to updating home page links as time permits.
Wing Commander Universe