New Release - Whats left to do?

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: New Release - Whats left to do?

Post by klauss »

Wait, I remember something about 1.28 being the latest version of boost supported in older macs. Are we ditching support for those?

Being old, maybe we should, maybe not, depending on our users' demographics. We should open up a poll to gather some info.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

How old are we talking anyway? Anything older than say 5-7 years I would think probably. I don't see us supporting anything under a P4 for the linux/windows code, and maybe a geforce 5200 on the graphics side. As cheap as computers are in some places I don't see many people using hardware older than 5 years. Do we still support windows 98? No, and I doubt the current code would compile under VC6. Not to mention VC8 and higher don't even support some win98 optimizations anymore
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I'm using hardware a lot older than 5 years ;-)

But I get your point. In the end, it doesn't matter, what matters is what our users use. And I don't know that.

IIRC, the MacOS versions with issues were a lot older than 5 years.
Wing Commander Universe
breese
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by breese »

breese wrote:Attached is a patch for autotools that adds Boost 1.45 and removes 1.28.
I have committed a patch for autoconf and cmake that adds Boost 1.45, without removing 1.28.

Eventually we ought to remove 1.28 (and 1.35) though.

I did remove the Apple reference to boost 1.33 from CMakeLists.txt, because we do not have that version in svn in the first place.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Shouldn't autotools use system boost if available?
Wing Commander Universe
breese
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by breese »

klauss wrote:Shouldn't autotools use system boost if available?
If it should, then it should reject versions that we consider too old. Otherwise, we will be unable to use new features in boost.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yep, but, how old is too old?

I guess we could start with 1.28 and patch it up whenever someone reports some trouble ;)
Wing Commander Universe
breese
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by breese »

klauss wrote:Yep, but, how old is too old?

I guess we could start with 1.28 and patch it up whenever someone reports some trouble ;)
1.28 is from 2002, so that is too old in my book. It is also missing a lot of useful modules, like Boost.Filesystem.

My preference would be that we only support 1.45 or newer, but I can live with 1.35.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I've seen a lot of mainstream distros with 1.33 or 1.35, so I'd stick to 1.3x compatibility unless we have a really strong reason to prefer 1.4x.

About 1.45: look at my distro's FindBoost.cmake (which is quite up to date):

Code: Select all

# Currently this module searches for the following version numbers:
# 1.33, 1.33.0, 1.33.1, 1.34, 1.34.0, 1.34.1, 1.35, 1.35.0, 1.35.1,
# 1.36, 1.36.0, 1.36.1, 1.37, 1.37.0, 1.38, 1.38.0, 1.39, 1.39.0,
# 1.40, 1.40.0, 1.41, 1.41.0
So if we want 1.45, we'd have to tell it to look for it explicitly with Boost_ADDITIONAL_VERSIONS. Quite a mess.
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

1.35 we should keep as windows still looks for this version. So unless some older mac client needs 1.28 we should phase that one out. 1.45 is/was the latest so it may not be updated in all distros yet.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

So, back to release topics, I think we have most serious bugs almost worked out in win32 and linux, with ATI and nVidia running smoothly on proprietary drivers, and intel more or less too.

If you agree, after I finish with the gas giant shaders (yep, I'm getting them ready) and commit vssetup changes so users can easily turn on/off chipset-specific workarounds (like that gl_accelerated_visual stuff), we should perhaps release an 0.5.1beta?
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Then we just need to nail down an actual version number. We have gone from .5.1 to .5.5 though it seems .5.3 has been used the most and published the most on the forums and the bug tracker.I think there is enough changes to call this one either .5.3 or .5.5, what do you say klauss?
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

If 0.5.0 save games are compatible, call it 0.5.1 - if not, call it 0.6.0 -- the version number is incidental. I would not try to get it perfect, but be pragmatic. People who install on top of 0.5.0 will be upset if their save games do not work.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

pheonixstorm wrote:Then we just need to nail down an actual version number. We have gone from .5.1 to .5.5 though it seems .5.3 has been used the most and published the most on the forums and the bug tracker.I think there is enough changes to call this one either .5.3 or .5.5, what do you say klauss?
We had a roadmap, and according to it, we're in 0.5.1

What do you mean we've gone from .5.1 to .5.5?

Last time I've checked, the last release was 0.5.0
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

What I meant was on several occasions you have called this release as .5.3 not .5.1 (actually you have called it both, but more often you have refered to it as .5.3)

While yes we do have a roadmap do you really think we will ever have any new game versions if we still follow it? if we release .5.1 when will .5.2 be released?? We dont have enough help to really follow that roadmap anymore. We can still follow it.. but the next release after .5.1 will end up being .5.1 again, the only change would end up being the revision number... .5.1.13061 or w/e revision svn is on which is a lot easier to go by than .5.1.1, .5.1.2 etc but anyway... as long as we have a stable number that sfine.

But on one point.. we have the major 0 minor 5 build 1? but what for revision.. do we use the svn number or go with soemthing else?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ehm... I always thought it was major 0, minor 5, subminor ;) 1, build X

Anyway, what's wrong with that roadmap? Besides that some tasks are orphaned, sure, it's still a nice guideline of where we want to go.

It's not set in stone.
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

When I looked it up the version number were major, minor, build, revision. At least thats how its suppose to read in a resource file. The only difference between windows, linux, and mac is how they are setup.
psignosis
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by psignosis »

So... how's the release coming along?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Well, I'm getting to know OpenSUSE's build service, which will allow me to build packages for several distros (OpenSUSE of course, ubuntu and fedora too I believe).

In the meanwhile, from my part I still have to finish gas giant texturing with the latest shaders, and we'll probably have to do a lot of bugfixing on those shaders like we did on earth shaders.

But we're already going towards 0.5.1 nonstop.
Wing Commander Universe
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

klauss wrote:In the meanwhile, from my part I still have to finish gas giant texturing with the latest shaders, and we'll probably have to do a lot of bugfixing on those shaders like we did on earth shaders.

But we're already going towards 0.5.1 nonstop.
Release early, release often.

Get the gas giant shaders in 0.5.2 and get that released in the summer. Release 0.5.1 now. That's my advice.
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

I'm working on getting a binary for OSX. Details here: http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... =5&t=16066
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

So what we wait for is new mac binary and a win64 binary. At least we wat until mid march. If neither of those are working by then we release without them.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

pheonixstorm wrote:So what we wait for is new mac binary and a win64 binary. At least we wat until mid march. If neither of those are working by then we release without them.
...or release without them anyway. They can always follow later.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ok, we can in fact release without gas giant shaders enabled right now.

So, guys, if you can get me an installer for your platforms (win and stuff), I can test it a bit (wine, old win2k, etc) and upload them to SF.

Release time :D

0.5.1 beta

BTW: I'm trying to get my head around OpenSUSE's build service, once I figure it out, I'll do the release for the various linux platforms.

@ace, if you're around, how does one go about building a "generic" linux release?
Wing Commander Universe
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

The current Win32 binary from the svn works on both XP 32-bit, Vista 32-bit and Win7 64-bit. These are platforms I have tested on personally and find currently no showstopper bugs. The only caveat is the Win/ATI combination that needs the SDL acceleration fix in the config file, and IMHO that should be integrated in the setup utility before release otherwise likely approx 50% of Windows users (i.e. those who have ATI cards with current drivers) who download 0.5.1 will be staring at a red screen.

I'm probably pretty far from getting things working in OSX, I'm not a mac guy and just learning my stuff as I go so chances are that even if I got a binary compiled I'd have to look into how to get that packaged for release etc. (which I've never done for OSX).

As for a generic Linux release, how's that: the current svn "data" directory with an ELF binary in it, as a tar.gz package. That should work easily if just unpacked somewhere in the home directory assuming of course that you have all required libraries installed. Or you could just build the binary statically and not have any dependencies.

(edit: the other way I'd tweak the current Win32 binary is to embed the manifest, hint hint it's in VS2008/project properties/configuration properties/manifest tool/input and output/embed manifest: "yes")
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.