New Release - Whats left to do?

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: New Release - Whats left to do?

Post by klauss »

Not to my knowledge, but if anyone is up to the task, we can have them for beta2 ;)

Remember, the idea is to release early and often, so while we work on those things like asteroids and a nice vssetup and all that, we can have pre-releases made.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I will test for opensuse 11.3 and maybe factory.

I connot add the extras repo, maybe it's too fresh. The link to the kaluss repo says object not found.

The description of the vegastrike package states: "You start in an old beat up Wayfarer cargo ship ...". Should this not be the Llama?

So far, still testing ...

*EDIT*
tested on *not* a pristine system with openSuse 11.3:
* core + data -> ok
* core + data + music -> ok

great, you made the data download size 320 MiB! :D

I noticed, there is no icon added to the menu entry for vegastrike.

Good job!
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

pyramid wrote: The description of the vegastrike package states: "You start in an old beat up Wayfarer cargo ship ...". Should this not be the Llama?
No se le llama Wayfarer. :)
make me a sandwich
make: *** No rule to make target 'me'. Stop.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

pyramid wrote:I connot add the extras repo, maybe it's too fresh. The link to the kaluss repo says object not found.
I may have been rebuilding ;)
I've been trying to get fedora and debian - got fedora, now reading up on debian :)

EDIT: wasn't that, the link was broken, it had a typo - I just edited, try now
pyramid wrote:The description of the vegastrike package states: "You start in an old beat up Wayfarer cargo ship ...". Should this not be the Llama?
I took 0.5.0's description. Ya, I thought the same, but I thought I'd confirm before changing anything - I'll have to read the history docs for that.
pyramid wrote: *EDIT*
tested on *not* a pristine system with openSuse 11.3:
* core + data -> ok
Coolness... that's promising :D
pyramid wrote:I noticed, there is no icon added to the menu entry for vegastrike.
Ya, since the icon file is in the vegastrike-data package, the build for vegastrike (which has the .desktop file) fails if I specify the nonexistent icon file.

If I add vegastrike-data as a build dependency of vegastrike, it's a bit restrictive (I have to have the -data package built before building the engine, I didn't have it at the time).

So I guess I'll add the icon to vegastrike (engine) or move the installation of the .desktop file to -data, not sure which yet. The second options would make sense if I were to maintain the mods too.

Which would be more than possible ;)
Wing Commander Universe
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

A couple things to look out for:

The Windows installer has in the past been built with NSIS. You can see the installer file here:
trunk/vegastrike/datascripts/021.nsi
I'd recommend using NSIS again unless you have some better installer tool in mind.

Unless we have a reason to go 64-bit on Windows, perhaps that would be a good thing to push to 0.5.2 -- there might be subtle bugs especially in things like network play or serialization/deserialization that only come up after a while. Don't 32-bit binaries work on 64-bit windows (I run 32-bit programs all the time on my 64-bit linux system)?

For mac and linux, watch out for hardcoded binary paths. If you get the build working in Xcode, it may take care of that for you (or maybe not), but I know when building on the command line, you get hardcoded paths all over the place because of all the library dependencies (like /Users/yourusername/vegastrike or /sw/lib/libjpeg.dylib or /opt/local/lib/libopenal.dylib )

Linux should be fine if you build dynamically-linked distro packages. In the past, we have built statically-linked versions--however, doing this often requires building a version of each library you include, which took a few hours last time.

Oh, another thing. It would be nice if you could use some format like 7z for the data packages, instead of tarballs. I think 7zip lets you extract individual files without gunzipping the whole 500+ megabyte package each time. Plus, you get LZMA which seems to do better on all the DDS textures in my recollection.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I would suggest including a README file in the win32/bin dir, explaining the difference between vegastrike.exe and VegastrikenonPGO.exe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

there wont be 2 diff binaries in the windows release. I never got any feedback on the PGO optimization so I will have to rebuild that binary under another name and keep the non pgo coded binary as the main exe (confusing i know...)

As for installers... I was thinking of using inno setup but I will need to test both and see which is actually going to be better. I think inno (if I remember the name right) I can create either an exe or msi installer, dont remember. Been awhile since I've looked at either

Also, if I can get the auto-update code working for the MPL Demo I may be able to split the auto-update code off into its own program to be used to update the main VS binary and maybe data. If worse comes to worse I can add in the ability to use torrents as well. Don't know how this might work if we come up with a package system to try and make the number of files more manageable
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ace123 wrote:For mac and linux, watch out for hardcoded binary paths. If you get the build working in Xcode, it may take care of that for you (or maybe not), but I know when building on the command line, you get hardcoded paths all over the place because of all the library dependencies (like /Users/yourusername/vegastrike or /sw/lib/libjpeg.dylib or /opt/local/lib/libopenal.dylib )

Linux should be fine if you build dynamically-linked distro packages. In the past, we have built statically-linked versions--however, doing this often requires building a version of each library you include, which took a few hours last time.
I've been using openSUSE's build service for linux, and it takes care of all that, for the supported distros.

For the unsupported ones, I would expect ELF binaries not to specify a full path for its dependencies, I'll take a look, but if we took care of the main distros (the ones openSUSE handles), which includes openSUSE itself, fedora, debian and ubuntu (most versions of those), I think it would be ok to require the other distros build their own binaries - right?
ace123 wrote:Oh, another thing. It would be nice if you could use some format like 7z for the data packages, instead of tarballs. I think 7zip lets you extract individual files without gunzipping the whole 500+ megabyte package each time. Plus, you get LZMA which seems to do better on all the DDS textures in my recollection.
bz2 does very good with DDS, not sure what rpm uses, but the rpms also are on par with bz2.

I haven't tried 7z - I'll try, to see if it's worth it. But have in mind, because the tar balls are standard and so big for VS, having multiple packing may be prohibitive.

EDIT: anyone with ubuntu knows the name of the devel package for openal? I can't seem to make build service work for it - for debian, I found it and it's building, but ubuntu says it can't find libopenal-dev (even though it's there on ubuntu's package list on the web)
Wing Commander Universe
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

Base package is "libopenal1", dev package is "libopenal-dev" (no 1) There's also a "libopenal1-dbg" which is described as "debugging symbols"
make me a sandwich
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I've used those, and OBS complains.

Weird.
Wing Commander Universe
shenle
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by shenle »

The only caveat (possible) would be if names have changed between Ubuntu versions (not likely). The names above are from my installations, both of them 9.10 (karmic)
make me a sandwich
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Hm... I'm building for 10.10, I'll try with karmic I guess.
Wing Commander Universe
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

klauss wrote:the link was broken, it had a typo - I just edited, try now
completed testing on *not* a pristine system with openSuse 11.3:
* core + data -> ok
* core + data + music + extras -> ok, nice faction textures ;-)
* core + data + music -> not ok, the subfolders from /data/sounds (missions, com_tutorial_oswald) are missing in /usr/share/vegastrike/
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

pyramid wrote:* core + data + music -> not ok, the subfolders from /data/sounds (missions, com_tutorial_oswald) are missing in /usr/share/vegastrike/
Wait... that's by design, those are in the speech package.

Does it crash because of the missing files?
Wing Commander Universe
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I meant to say:
* core + data + music + extras + speech -> not ok, the subfolders from /data/sounds (missions, com_tutorial_oswald) are missing in /usr/share/vegastrike/[/quote]

No crashes :-)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Hm... ok... I'll check the package...
Thanks a lot for testing :D

EDIT: OK, found the bug (stupid typo), fixed it, you should be able to update :)

PS: on the debian-ish front, I've got vegastrike (engine) built already for:
  • Debian squeeze
  • xUbuntu 10.04
  • xUbuntu 10.10
  • xUbuntu 9.10
  • xUbuntu 9.04
I couldn't get debian lenny, there are some hard issues to resolve (I might be able to resolve them though, I've been learning a lot).

Debian packaging is a PITA though. That includes ubuntu.

You can check progress here.
Wing Commander Universe