Mesh Animation

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
strook
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Mesh Animation

Post by strook »

Point&click would be for me good, too.
We could slap two flys at once, by using the engine for planet outdoor in command&conquer style and for base interiors.

Though I'm totally new to this... This could be the next step after I have the flight done.
plz visit my vegastrike project branch here

plz support VegaOgre by donating to it!

My systems: Mac mini 1, 4gig RAM;
i5 Quad Core 2400, 300mbit WLAN, 1,3Tbyte HD, 60 GB SSD,
nvidia geforce 8400gs 512MB, 6gig RAM with Ubuntu 11.4,
win7 and hackintosh installed
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I think everyone here is over thinking this, at least in respect to their own ideas of what and how we *think* it should be done.

@charlie:
I think what klauss is refering too is a final codeline, a complete walkable base from landing to launch. As I stated, something we don't need yet nor do we have the artists to manage that immense of a project within the confines of our current engine. klauss's grand design would make for a very engaging sci-fi adventure but it is unmanageable at our current level of developers. For what you quoted from klauss hes on the right track. For a fully integrated fps render we do need a asset list of what we will eventually need for complete base immersion, not just fps renders for missions.

@klauss:
Ya... just ignore the fact that making them cooperate will take tons of work and spaguetti code
eh? If you do it right why do you think there would be any spag. code. As I see it now we can refactor the code to call in 3 namespaces or objects.. w/e spacerender, fpsrender, atmorender. Atmo and space would use the same base code and just diverge when adding in for terrain rendering and ground collision. So really you only need flightrender (with atmo and space subs) and fpsrender. Keep both seperate. The rest of the calling code can be setup to use a wrapper or again split into two or more sections. so src/gfx/*render/codefiles.cpp I think the one thing we have all missed though is how do we handle the new units in regards to the AI and current gameunit class not to mention the new gui code we would have to include..

@travists:
The bigboys don't handle it for one reason. MONEY. No publish is willing to add in unproven ideas if it will kill sales of a product or they think the developer would screw it up and kill sales by releasing a broken product (though publishers really don't care anyway for the most part if they release a broken game). The best example of shit hitting the fan is Master of Orion 3. The original feuture list was huge and would have pushed 4X games to new heights. Unfortuanately the developer was taking too long getting all these nice things coder so the publisher forced the developer to scrap these features for something more basic.. hence we have a bug ridden game that while enjoyable needs serious love and attention to work worth a shit. Its a great 4x game.. but it needs community developed patches to work right as well as outside mods to be better balanced.

@strook:
you cooperate? can it be?? (joking) I think as much as you want to help and as much as klauss knows the current code the two of you need to spend some private time passing ideas back and forth. That way you dont have to rewrite new code that just happens to be a slightly better(?) version of something already in use by vs. Plus klauss can probably point you to code sections that need some work to make them run better.

@All:
Before we serious start working on an indoor render or dropping one in we need to push this new release out the door so we can get some new blood working on the project. Just having klauss breese, and strook working on code changes wont cut it. Especially with klauss working mostly on ffmpeg and audio and strook on planetary flight while breese seems to be on a code cleanup. And that leaves poor chuck out in the wind until his computer issues are resolved.

So, what do we do from here... Lets clean up the code a bit and get a few other details ready for this next release. I will be merging all changes back into trunk once I get with klauss about the new commit. I'm pretty sure I can get any conflicts worked out before a merge. Only other detail is to make sure that both the win compile and linux compile work.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

klauss wrote: In essense, it provides artists with more freedom to reuse assets, and thus more productivity.
Also, from there to scripted movement is a small step. Character movement within the scene, or camera movement, it can all be done in baby steps.
So it's a kind of working base from which to build better stuff.
Alright then, I'll see what I can do after the coming release.
I agree, reinventing FPS engines would be nonsense, so when the time comes to do a really walkable interior, some engine would have to be picked. I'd favor a rendering engine + physics engine combo, though, instead of a full FPS engine. Like Ogre + ODE, for example, though I'm open to suggestions. But that time hasn't come up yet.
OGRE + Bullet
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

I took so long on my post I missed a whole new conversation :lol: Yeah, renderer + physics + AI (or can we adapt ours?). If we go bullet + ogre then it would push us to move everything else over to ogre. At least eventually and not right away. Maybe not a bad idea using ogre as the renderer :)
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
strook
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by strook »

@pheonix: :mrgreen: +1
plz visit my vegastrike project branch here

plz support VegaOgre by donating to it!

My systems: Mac mini 1, 4gig RAM;
i5 Quad Core 2400, 300mbit WLAN, 1,3Tbyte HD, 60 GB SSD,
nvidia geforce 8400gs 512MB, 6gig RAM with Ubuntu 11.4,
win7 and hackintosh installed
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Hey... widespread agreement?

I'm dizzy.
:lol:

Yep, Ogre + Bullet is a popular choice among the community.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe