Support offer

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
felixrabe
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: Support offer

Post by felixrabe »

Hi there!

Before I give you the long rant let me cut right to the chase - Ivanux, how exactly did you get Vegastrike to compile and run in Gentoo? (I can't find 'cmake' mentioned anywhere by searching the wiki.)

This is my first post here :) I played Vegastrike a few years back and wanted to try it again today - on my recently installed Gentoo x86. With the result that I spent the afternoon getting the open source radeon driver to work (on Lenovo Thinkpad W500) and - it does (help to increase room temperature significantly even just with 2D)! :) Then played around with Tremulous (binary install) a bit - its performance is very acceptable (and in contrast to my old Ubuntu 9.04, mouse pointer doesn't get stuck, but got sluggish at times).

Now, Tremulous had a binary release in December. So I tried to compile Vegastrike from the Subversion version now because I wanted a more recent version than 0.5. ./configure was fine, make wasn't.
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I/usr/include -DBOOST_PYTHON_NO_PY_SIGNATURES -DHAVE_SDL=1 -DSDL_WINDOWING=1 -I/usr/local/include -DHAVE_FFMPEG -I/usr/include/python2.6 -DHAVE_PYTHON=1 -I./src -pipe -DNV_CUBE_MAP -O2 -ffast-math -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -pthread -MT src/aldrv/al_sound.o -MD -MP -MF $depbase.Tpo -c -o src/aldrv/al_sound.o src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp &&\
mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp: In function ‘bool AUDLoadSoundFile(const char*, AUDSoundProperties*, bool)’:
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:432: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:428: error: forward declaration of ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:451: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:428: error: forward declaration of ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:452: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:462: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:463: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:464: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:466: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:476: error: ‘ConvertFormat’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:487: error: ‘ALbyte’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:487: error: expected primary-expression before ‘)’ token
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:487: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:487: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘struct AUDSoundProperties’
(and so on)
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:502: error: invalid use of incomplete type ‘const struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:428: error: forward declaration of ‘const struct AUDSoundProperties’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:502: error: ‘LoadSound’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp: In function ‘float AUDGetCurrentPosition(int)’:
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:909: error: ‘ALfloat’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:909: error: expected `;' before ‘rv’
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:910: error: ‘rv’ was not declared in this scope
src/aldrv/al_sound.cpp:910: error: ‘alGetSourcef’ was not declared in this scope
make[1]: *** [src/aldrv/al_sound.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/frog/Hier/3rdp-software/vegastrike/vegastrike'
make: *** [all] Error 2
Neither Google nor this forum search helped me find a post about anything AUDSoundProperties related ("too common words" for this forum, that's why!), but BY MERE CHANCE, a completely unrelated link I clicked on on http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... e_from_SVN ("From this forum thread") led me to http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=9510 - very funny.

Now I'd like to cut down to the compilation problem myself, but I'm getting tired. My approach would be to start by both cutting down the code incrementally, and by starting with a .cpp and a .h file from scratch to try to reproduce the problem that way. But if I get an answer before that, the better!

Greetings
- Felix
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

You need the development versions of a few packages, openal is the one bringing you trouble right now, although it won't be the last. VS also needs ffmpeg, sdl, opengl, vorbis, hm... and a few others probably I can't remember.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
felixrabe
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by felixrabe »

Thanks klauss!
I have overlooked the openal dependency. Now it compiled fine and I'm able to run it. But the font (intro, console) is hard to read.
- Felix
felixrabe
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by felixrabe »

The font issue was caused by using integrated Intel graphics instead of discrete ATI/Radeon graphics. With Radeon, text is good.
felixrabe
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by felixrabe »

Bad news on Radeon: I press "Campaign", then see the loading/propaganda screens - and right when I should enter gameplay, Linux freezes. I think that will be fixed by later driver updates.

$ uname -a
Linux w500 2.6.34-gentoo-r1 #5 SMP Mon Jul 5 00:53:31 CEST 2010 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
$ glxinfo | grep "renderer string"
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RV635 9591) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
# lspci | grep ATI
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3650

/etc/make.conf has VIDEO_CARDS="intel radeon"

Versions installed:
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati 6.13.0
x11-drivers/radeon-ucode 20100408
x11-libs/libdrm 2.4.21
media-libs/mesa 7.8.2
x11-base/xorg-server 1.7.6
Ivanux
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Ivanux »

Hello,

Sorry, it seems I reply a bit too late, because Klauss solved your problem.

As far as radeon free driver is concerned, I'm afraid I think It is simply unable to handle Vegastrike at the moment.

But, I'm able to get through the menu to come to the game (which brilliantly runs with... less than 1 FPS on my dev laptop).

FYI:
  • Linux Omicron 2.6.32-gentoo-r7 #3 SMP Sat Jun 5 23:09:28 CEST 2010 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T5300 @ 1.73GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati 6.13.0
    media-libs/mesa 7.7.1
    x11-libs/libdrm 2.4.18_pre20100211-r1
    x11-drivers/radeon-ucode (not installed: r550).
But with an r600, you should probably try to run the official ATI-driver which has a really stronger 3D accel ATM. Maybe it would also solve your issue?

Hope it helps

@Klauss & Chuck: Now that my exams are over, I can get down to business and have a look to the universe generation process.
Ivanux

... potential VS junior developer.

[If you wanna f*ck up a C++ program: do it Java-like.]
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

For the radeons, try lowering or disabling shader settings. It should fix your problem (by sacrificing graphics quality).

We have to develop ATI-compatible versions of the shaders, but we're short on test systems (I have an ATI card, I just don't have it in a development-capable computer atm, nor the time to go switching GPUs on my main development rig).

If there's any shader developer out there, with an ATI rig somewhere running on linux, we would appreciate if he/she could do us the favour of adapting the shaders to be ATI-friendly. It's just editing the fp and vp files in data/programs. However, shaders are not final, so any such adaptation will need to be redone every time we upgrade the shaders (I know... a pain...)
Wing Commander Universe
felixrabe
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by felixrabe »

Thanks for the answers, and don't worry about response times - AFAIK nobody does this for money :) and I just started working (for money) and threw a big party yesterday to celebrate this, so was busy anyway.
I think I'll retry in a few days, with less shaders and/or proprietary ATI drivers.
Greetings
nikai
Trader
Trader

Post by nikai »

Hi there!

I'm using Gentoo as well, with radeon r600 classic kms.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RS780 9610) 20090101 TCL DRI2
Linux 2.6.35-rc6 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) 9350e

From X11 overlay:

x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati git
media-libs/mesa git
x11-libs/libdrm git
x11-drivers/radeon-ucode

I can run VS without shaders at 800x600, but I'm experiencing GPU lockups in specific situations, like approaching Serenity, or crashing the ship.
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27868#c6

Here are screen shots:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... at=1112329
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

If they nail the cause, perhaps we can patch VS not to trigger the bug.
Wing Commander Universe
nikai
Trader
Trader

Post by nikai »

felixrabe wrote:how exactly did you get Vegastrike to compile and run in Gentoo?
I found an old SVN ebuild in the Gentoo Bugzilla, bug 65084, and fixed it to work for me.

Then I applied for a Gentoo user overlay, brushed the ebuild up some more, split it into data and vegastrike, and now I'm maintaining them in my overlay.

I hope they might be useful enough to get a Gentoo user started.
klauss wrote:If they nail the cause, perhaps we can patch VS not to trigger the bug.
I never thought of that. Currently the open drivers are quite in flux. The r600 classic driver will soon get replaced with r600 Gallium, and mesa switch to a new GLSL compiler. Maybe this will fix the lockup :)

Kernel mode switching was the reason that I recently started to have a look at 3D applications. Before that, 3D was so slow and broken in general that I had lost interest many years ago.
nikai
Trader
Trader

Post by nikai »

Indeed, with the new GLSL2 compiler the GPU lockups have disappeared. Together with this compiler came a regression that caused another segfault, which was fixed yesterday.

So with current mesa-git, Vega Strike is playable at a frame rate of 30+ with the r600 classic driver :)

I disabled high quality fonts which drop the frame rate to about 3. Shaders appear to just look black, but don't crash the game any more.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Great! :D

BTW: I'm in the process of committing a new set of shaders, and a fix for that blackness :)
Wing Commander Universe
nikai
Trader
Trader

Post by nikai »

klauss wrote:I'm in the process of committing a new set of shaders, and a fix for that blackness :)
Thanks! Atlantis is looking great. :)

Currently I'm playing at 1024x768, 32bit fullscreen, with high quality fonts enabled at 20-30 fps.
Simplest shaders work well at my place. Any better shader crashes like this:

Code: Select all

Compilation of technique fixed successful
0:122(13): preprocessor error: syntax error, unexpected IDENTIFIER

Fragment Program Error: Failed to compile highend
Compilation of technique default failed... trying ../4_ps2.0/default
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"highend" fp:"highend"
Compilation of technique ../4_ps2.0/default failed... trying fixed
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"default" fp:"default"
0:0(0): error: function `textureCubeLod' undeclared
0:9(60): error: type mismatch
0:9(60): error: `return' with wrong type , in function `ambientMapping' returning vec3

Fragment Program Error: Failed to compile ambientmapped_simple
Compilation of technique default_simple failed... trying fixed_simple
Cause: Error compiling program vp:"fixed8" fp:"ambientmapped_simple"
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Audio::FileOpenException'
  what():  Cannot open "techniques/fixed_simple.technique"
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Nice, thanks for the report, I'll try to address those issues.
Wing Commander Universe
Ivanux
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Ivanux »

Hi everydoby,

I've just a really simple question: which IDE do you use to edit VS sources?

I tried
- NetBeans for C++: it cannot support such a big project because it analyses the entire project each time a file is saved. Takes ages.
- Code::blocks: but it takes up to 900Mb of RAM and often causes my machine to swap. It is also extremely slow to analyse the project.

I currently use Eclipse with CDT C++ plugin, which runs fine but doesn't do "real-time" code analysis. So you've got to compile to see where errors are. This is a pain in the neck, knowing that VS takes up to 15min to compile on my machine...

So, I'd be interrested to know what you use :-)

Thank you in advance
Ivanux

... potential VS junior developer.

[If you wanna f*ck up a C++ program: do it Java-like.]
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I use KDevelop, but currently it has the same limitations the Eclipse CDT has (because I have to disable code analysis to avoid some serious crashes).

Although, normally, KDevelop does perform code analysis with the gcc backend, so it's rather accurate and nice. It is slow, but does so on the background. I've been waiting for KDevelop guys to fix the crash, because code analysis is of huge help in VS, because of what you said, and because it assists with code navigation by leaps and bounds, since VS codebase is huge and not very well organized.
Wing Commander Universe
strook
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by strook »

So you mean kdevelop 3 or 4?
3 Runs on my machine without probs very Fine,
4 crashes recently After some minutes on various Systems.
plz visit my vegastrike project branch here

plz support VegaOgre by donating to it!

My systems: Mac mini 1, 4gig RAM;
i5 Quad Core 2400, 300mbit WLAN, 1,3Tbyte HD, 60 GB SSD,
nvidia geforce 8400gs 512MB, 6gig RAM with Ubuntu 11.4,
win7 and hackintosh installed
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I use KDevelop 4, but you have to disable background parsing since, as you found out, it crashes with VS.
Wing Commander Universe