0.6 plans

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Re: 0.6 plans

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:The Collide_Subunits column is empty for all vessels, turret bases and turret guns. It isn't used for anything besides asteroids, which seems strange since turrets are supposed to be destructible.
Yeah, but collide doesn't control destructibility, I think. Only collisions. So it means you can't bump into a turret and destroy it, but you can fire upon it. I should check and be sure.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

klauss wrote: Yeah, but collide doesn't control destructibility, I think. Only collisions. So it means you can't bump into a turret and destroy it, but you can fire upon it. I should check and be sure.
So is there any special reason why we do not want collisions with turrets?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:
klauss wrote: Yeah, but collide doesn't control destructibility, I think. Only collisions. So it means you can't bump into a turret and destroy it, but you can fire upon it. I should check and be sure.
So is there any special reason why we do not want collisions with turrets?
Performance.
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Doesn't VS use some form of collision culling?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yes. And subunit stuff is part of that.
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

So do you mean subunits don't get culled separately from their parent unit and its other subunits? The engine either checks for a collision with a unit and each of its subunits or checks nothing at all?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:So do you mean subunits don't get culled separately from their parent unit and its other subunits? The engine either checks for a collision with a unit and each of its subunits or checks nothing at all?
Yep. Not what I would've done, but it's what we have.
Wing Commander Universe
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Deus Siddis wrote:Alright then the Heat_Sinks_Rating column should get deleted...
More on CSV:

-Heat_Sink_Rating
(does nothing)

-Slide_Start,
-Slide_End
(are read to / written from computer.slide_start and computer.slide_end, that do nothing)

+Can_Lock
Near ITTS. This and ITTS may be not really needed when there's Tracking_Cone and Locking_Cone, but whatever.
+MinTargetSize
Radar resolution limit is actually implemented, though some improvement won't hurt, of course.

+Equipment_Space
(raw internal space)
+Hidden_Hold_Volume
(contraband!)

?Wormhole
It seems to be functional, but not used in VS data and perhaps can be better implemented otherwise.

Also, some descriptions need to be fixed, yes:

Code: Select all

Sub_Units {filename(string);x(meters);y(meters);z(meters);forex(meters);forey(meters);forez(meters);upx(meters);upy(meters);upz(meters);restricted(meters)}
to
{filename(string);x(meters);y(meters);z(meters);forex(meters);forey(meters);forez(meters);upx(meters);upy(meters);upz(meters);restricted(degrees)}

Light 
{meshfile(string);x(meters);y(meters);z(meters);scale(meters);r(percentage);g(percentage);b(percentage);a(percentage);activationspeed(meters/second)}
to
{meshfile(string);x(meters);y(meters);z(meters);scale(meters);r(percentage);g(percentage);b(percentage);a(percentage);activationspeed(meters/second);forex(meters);forey(meters);forez(meters);upx(meters);upy(meters);upz(meters)}

Mounts 
{type(string);ammo(int);volume(meters);SIZE(string);x(meters);y(meters);z(meters);xyscale(meters);zscale(meters);forex(meters);forey(meters);forez(meters);upx(meters);upy(meters);upz(meters);functionality(percentage);maxfunctionality(percentage)}
to
{type(string);ammo(int);volume(meters);SIZE(string);x(meters);y(meters);z(meters);xyscale(meters);zscale(meters);forex(meters);forey(meters);forez(meters);upx(meters);upy(meters);upz(meters);functionality(percentage);maxfunctionality(percentage);banked(boolean)}
I don't know why on Earth or in space a torch would need more than one vector... cone at least could be useful for implementing vector thrust. "Banked" mount field can be useful and is actually supported in code, though needs some improvements.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

TBeholder wrote:I don't know why on Earth or in space a torch would need more than one vector... cone at least could be useful for implementing vector thrust. "Banked" mount field can be useful and is actually supported in code, though needs some improvements.
There is vector thrust already, although vectored thrust is unrelated to "lights" (which are exhausts, not sure why they're called lights).

The exhausts need 3 vectors, as all transformations do: forward, up, and right. You could say you don't need up and right since exhaust meshes are radially symmetrical, be we don't assume that, and up and right's vector lengths implement radial scaling, so they're not useless.

Forward also acts as activation direction (ie: thrust direction is its reverse). I've been thinking of adding a fourth vector to make activation vector explicit.
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

So if the light column represents thruster exhausts, then what column defines where the blinking wingtip lights go on ships and the landing lights go on stations?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Those are part of the mesh. They're triquads (3 quads, one on each axial plane) with an animated texture.
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

my android work deadline is over...so i'm thinking starting next week i'll be able to spend a lot of time with VS. I think i'm gonna leave the backend stuff alone for now and focus on what i originally wanted to do and consolidate system activity and all the other related changes i mentioned that go along with that... I dont think it will be extremely heavy on the C++ side of things. At least not until the python side is complete and we know what kind of performance / gameplay issues crop up
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

safemode wrote:At least not until the python side is complete and we know what kind of performance / gameplay issues crop up
You mean the merge? Isn't it done already? What did I forget to merge?
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

klauss wrote:
safemode wrote:At least not until the python side is complete and we know what kind of performance / gameplay issues crop up
You mean the merge? Isn't it done already? What did I forget to merge?

no. I mean after I consolidate and change spec and such behavior. I'm sure after those python data changes, bugs or issues will crop
up. things like ai, mostly. but possibly other limitations.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Ah, yeah. Most likely. In fact I expect a few.
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

By the way Klauss, I forgot there's actually I few more altered files that need to applied with that split CSV package I posted for it to work; both master_part_list.csv and faction_ships.py. I also have a couple more corrections to the split units files themselves and the latest factions.xml fix.

Where do I get the py3 version of faction_ships.py so that I can correct it?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Deus Siddis wrote:Where do I get the py3 version of faction_ships.py so that I can correct it?
It should be in trunk already.
Wing Commander Universe
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

be aware anyone modifying /data files ... py3 cares about spaces vs tabs used for indentation. You _MUST_ keep whatever method that file happens to use... ie. If the entire file uses tabs for indentation then your edit cannot use spaces for indentation, it must also use tabs. And vice versa.

this is file-by-file ...so one file can be using spaces and another can be using tabs ..that's fine. It just can't be mixed within the same file.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Let me add: any new files must use spaces.
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

klauss wrote:Let me add: ALL files must use spaces.
Statement fixed. :wink:
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

except not all currently do. many use real tabs.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Feel free to fix as you edit or stumble upon them, that's the general idea. A separate commit for whitespace changes is even better, since it doesn't pollute the diffs.
Wing Commander Universe
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

safemode wrote:except not all currently do. many use real tabs.
What I mean is that's a bug and we should schedule it to be fixed, rather than appease it. Bugs don't deserve our compassion.

Do you have a list of the offending PY files?
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

It is really hard to put together a reasonable weapon load out in VS. The trouble is the few, not so well balanced weapons are spread out over too many categories that are only available at certain destinations, with minutes of travel between them.

So I want to merge light guns, medium guns, heavy guns, light beams, medium beams, heavy beams, capship, into one category- Human. So there will be only three categories total, Human, Rlaan and Aera, each spawning only at the bases of the faction of the same name. This is in addition to the existing Ammunition category(s) which covers missiles and weapon reloads.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

Deus Siddis wrote:So I want to merge light guns, medium guns, heavy guns, light beams, medium beams, heavy beams, capship, into one category- Human. So there will be only three categories total, Human, Rlaan and Aera, each spawning only at the bases of the faction of the same name. This is in addition to the existing Ammunition category(s) which covers missiles and weapon reloads.
You got a point in that availability of goods indeed shouldn't have much to do with equipment slot as such (other than when it obviously does, e.g. capship sized guns not present just anywhere), but that would be going too far. There could be a few categories like Confed now. Stuff you'd have on an average mining station or something vs. stuff from military surplus - this makes sense in-universe and could give at least general idea of what may be purchased where. E.g. - Human/Basic ("Lazer", massdrivers, a pair of low-powered beams, Swarm, Dumbfire, Heatseeker) - /Security (those beam zappers and something) - /Advanced (IonBurster, most beams) - /Military or /Confed (Razor, Shieldbreaker, good rockets and missiles), etc.
With one or two "too good" categories sometimes given as low-probablility low-quantity ("perhaps you're not screwed, but don't rely on this") cargo.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter