releases and such

Development directions, tasks, and features being actively implemented or pursued by the development team.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

should probably just make the windows binary release static, so you dont need a manifest file :)
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Final windows packages will have a VC7 windows exe so this won't be a problem.

We really need to have a new binary with the *proper* collision fix in... the one I committed actually has collision detection entirely disabled as I found out later.

I have VC7 installed on my other windows dual boot--so if I have time later today I can do that and commit a working exe.
Sorry everyone for the confusion.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

slow down with viewing planets solved....somewhat.

my viewing of empty space is done at 100-150fps (jumps around a lot)

Basically, i left extreme quality settings on, but disabled the shader. The problem persisted.

I then changed my build from using the distro's boost 1.34 libs and headers to using the in-tree 1.33 version. Framerate increased significantly, to the point where the planet had little effect when viewing it.

Turn the shader back on, Best shader causes the framerate to drop to around 30fps.

Simple shader is better, at around 60fps.

I blame the performance on my card, Nvidia 6600 (300Mhz gpu, 500Mhz vram, 256MB). I would thus consider this card to be the minimum system requirement when it comes to gpu. The game interestingly enough, only uses 50-60% cpu most of the time (do we have a sleep loop somewhere? or is this due to waiting on gpu ?)

So min system requirements for VS would be something like :

cpu: 1500Mhz AMD or Intel proc.
ram: 1GB (not including swap)
gpu: Nvidia 6600 or better, Recommended : Nvidia 8000 series or better
graphics lib: hardware accelerated opengl, software wont cut it.
sound: pretty much anything.
hdd space: < 500MB I haven't exported data4.x lately. svn more than doubles the space, so i can only estimate the export size.

edit: basically, that's a hint that the vssetup options should be changed to reflect the fact that the ram options settings are completely unrealistic. Ram usage doesn't change significantly no matter what you choose. No idea if it used to or what. But you're gonna end up allocating at least 600MB of ram just starting a saved game into the beginning system.
Usage will only go up from there.

The gpu requirements are what they are because generally, although we dont do much in the way of special effects, the number of units and the size of planets and etc etc, puts a big strain on the video ram. I dont think anyone is going to be able to maintain at least 30fps during dogfights or close runs near bases or jump points etc with anything slower than the 6600. It's a 20 dollar card. I think it's a fair low end card.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I think these reqs are a little high. I play the svn on high with 1.8GHz P4 512 RAM GeForce 6200 LE. Up until a couple rev's ago, I was getting 60 fps at high/very high/extreme graphics with low shaders and the middle memory option. System loads were a little slow but even n intese dogfights fps did not drop noticeably. In the last couple svn revs, I've taken a big hit, But it might be a boost/python problem. I haven't had time to experiment with that.

So in conclusion, your 'minimum' should really be more like recommended. and somewhere closer to my rig be the bare minimum. However, having an option labeled '<256 MB' is obviously completely absurd. So some renaming should be in order.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

0.5.0 release

Post by pyramid »

Wohooaaaaa! Finally. The release! It has happened!

A big congrats to the lead devs, developers, and artists. It is now here, let me type it out letter by letter with joy:

Vega Strike - Upon the Coldest Sea version 0.5.0 stable release.

I enjoyed every letter of it :D
Last edited by pyramid on Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rabiator
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Rabiator »

A big thanks to the devs and artists. :D
I hope to find a little more time for VS in the coming weeks, but either way it is great to see some progress.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: 0.5.0 release

Post by bgaskey »

pyramid wrote:Wohooaaaaa! Finally. The release! It has happened!

A big congrats to the lead devs, developers, and artists. It is now here, let me type it out letter by letter with joy:

Vega Strike - Upon the Coldest Sea version 0.5.0 stable release.

I enjoyed every letter of it :D
:D :D :D I already said this on another thread, but there's no such thing as too much praise. Great job everyone. Champaign and all that :wink: . The one day I can't check the forums, you launch the stable release. It was a nice surprise when I got home just now though. Hope I can be the first to test the UB mac build tomorrow morning (hope its out). Great work guys. :wink: 8) :) :D :lol: 8) :wink: :!:
Breakable
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Breakable »

Lets all digg the release on Vega Strike Development Blog!
http://digg.com/pc_games/Vega_Stike_0_5 ... tor_is_out