Editing Systems and Adding Sectors

Forum For Privateer Remake
Paladin
Explorer
Explorer

Editing Systems and Adding Sectors

Post by Paladin »

Hey y'all, I'm working on adding more systems, and eventually another sector to Privateer (the Sol sector, to be exact;) unfortunately, I'm running into a few bugs that, despite my best efforts, refuse to be fixed.

Specifically, neither Gemini nor Aquila show up on the map until you land on a base in one of them. Also, Aquila has a mining base and two NewCon bases in it that I didn't put there, and I can't take out.
(I've already tried editing "wcuniverse.xml")

Is there anyone here who can help me out?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The wcuniverse.xml specifies all systems for the NAV computer, as well as statistics to autogenerate systems.

However, all the systems have been hand-modified to match privateer itself. The reason your systems contain extra bases and things might be because you did not edit the system file afterwards... though you should be able to modify the "num_starbases" in "min" and "max" in the unknown_sector at the beginning of the file...

By the way, you might be interested in this file:
http://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... ision=6253
It has the wing commander set of systems...
Though quite a few things have changed since that release of vegastrike... such as capitalization and starbase generation...
Paladin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Paladin »

Hey Ace, thanks for the reply.
However, maybe I should back up and explain what I've done so far.

I'm working with the PR/PU mod, and wcuniverse.xml already has the entire WC galaxy. I started by adding the Gemini system, which was left out of the original Privateer, though it's part of the Gemini sector, and had no problems. I made a new system file, edited it, and everything checked out; then I started on the Sol sector by adding a new folder called "Sol" in "sectors" filled with the systems in the Petrov quadrant. I checked my work, and Gemini was fine, never once had a problem with it, but Aquila, Gemini's neighbor in Sol, had a mining base and two "New Constantinoples," when it should have only had a jump point to Gemini. From there I edited Aquila to have all it's jump points, according to my map of the WC galaxy, and gave it a refinery (my own personal touch.) Those bases didn't leave, they just moved to 3 of the jump points. After trying a few things (including editing wcuniverse.xml) I decided to give up for the moment, and began working on Ceti, a small system that only borders Aquile; I gave it an aggie planet and jump point surrounded by asteroids, it gave itself an unnamed refinery. My best guess is the problem is not with the systems, but with the sector.

I've been working on this a day or two, and would very much like to get this first bug behind me, so your help is greatly appreciated! =)
Paladin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Paladin »

I'm still here, still working on Sol, still have the same problem.

I'm editing the system files, I can add and position jump points, planets,
bases and asteroids; however, the unwanted bases are still there.

Can you think of anything else that might be the cause of the problem?