Unable to start the game

Forum For Privateer Remake
Kret
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Unable to start the game

Post by Kret »

Hello,

I wanted to try a PR 1.2 that is available on the webpage and under links here, but unfortunately none of these packages allows me to start the game. I install it, setup it and when I run a privateer 1.2 application and here's what happens:

there is a standard Privateer starting artwork (Centurion hunting Gladius) and changing names of files in lower left corner suggesting these files are being loaded. It comes to thrust0018.png file (ALWAYS this one) and it stops. The computer hangs for good, only power button can help in my case.

I have a relatively old laptop, Intel Celeron 2 GHz, 1 GB RAM (divided, so I choose 640 MB RAM in setup) and SiS 650 display adapter.

Had anyone such problems before? I would really like to try an alternative to GG...

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Kret
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Kret what OS are you running PR under.and does your video card support OpenGL fully if you are using XP there should be two files in the bin folder that will give us an idea of what happened they are called stderr.txt and stdout.txt just attach them to your post.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Have you tried leaving it loading for a while, then going off somewhere else, and coming back a while later?

It is probably generating BSP's and doing other stuff that is taking a while.

The file it says is loading is only the last file... so it won't tell you when it's loading something really big until it's done loading it.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I've also noticed that when you're having the video card problem (obsolete drivers), the initial loading sequence is awfully slow - but eventually finishes.
Kret
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Kret »

Well, this might be something with my graphic card - it's still an old laptop after all. I have managed to start a 1.1 version, but it runs strange (small window on white background in bases and normal view in space; also, mouse indicator is not visible). I will probably wait until I buy some normal computer first.

Thanks for help

Kret
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Not necessarily... try the suggestions by ace and loki, as well you could try to get yourself the newest drivers for your video card