OT: Anyone know how to run KS WC3 under XP?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

OT: Anyone know how to run KS WC3 under XP?

Post by Anscar »

I've been all over the WC CIC Tech Support forum, but no luck with any of the solutions there. I can get WC to run fine, WC2 OK (with some sound problems), but get a hard BSOD (requiring restart) when I try to run WC3. I'm running off of images on a virtual drive (to save the CD's), but I get the same result, if I install from the CD's themselves. The WC3 intro movie simply crashes my system. I've done the obvious stuff, like set compatibility. Yeah, I know it'd be simpler to run DOS versions of the games via DosBox, or simply run them on an older pc with the right OS.....but I'm kind of stubborn (tho' I'm about to give it up and simply install them on an older pc. I'm not planning to play through all of them, just looking for a trip down memory lane). It's the Xan movie player that stops responding and is crashing things....or so I believe. Since I suspect many of you are also wc fans, just thought I'd drop the question here to see if anyone has a "miracle cure" for WCKS. Thanks for any ideas and sorry to go off topic.
Mav23
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Mav23 »

I had the same problem with KS aways back. I ended up finally getting it to let me play through a few missions before crashing, but I was never able to get it running smoothly. When I upgraded to Vista, however, it ran just fine. Which is odd, since I thought I'd have even more compatibility issues.

I assume you checked the KS WC3 XP thread at the CIC? It has a lot of good suggestions, and although they never completely solved my problems, if you play around with some of the suggestions in there, you may be able to get it going for a couple missions at a time like I did.

Or if you got 200 bucks to blow, upgrade to Vista. But if you can't get it running at all, I'd say the more economical choice would be to get a DOS version off of eBay and use the magic that is DosBox.
I'm drinking the water, you should too...
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

I've been all over the "Mincemeat" thread at CIC and tried all the solutions (including Mincemeat's patch). No luck.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade to Vista, as I feel it'll screw up many of my other games (possibly including Remake, from what I just read here).

Not necessary for me to buy a copy of WC3 off eBay. I already own two copies of the DOS version of WC3 (film-can collector's edition and a regular one). I've got DOS versions of all the old WC games. The problem there is that my copies of the original WC and WC2 and expansions are on 5.25" diskettes (well, the WC2 SO expansions are on 3.5"). While I still have two pc's with working 5.25" drives, I doubt that after 17 years the data are still intact on those diskettes. You can dl the original wc games from abondonware sites, but I've never seen the original DOS expansions available for download. For that reason, I'm really happy that my KS versions work OK.

Anyhow, dabbling with WC games is just a passing fancy atm; what I'm REALLY playing is remake. Currently playing all the branches of the bonus plot.....then I'm going to apply the PU mod. Love Privateer (have 1 3.5" diskette version, RF, and speech pack; and 3 CD versions) and love Remake! :)
Mav23
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Mav23 »

Ah, yeah. As you saw in my thread, I can't run Remake properly thanks to Vista.

So are you able to install WC3 DOS version on your comp and just use DosBox?
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

Yes, I installed the DOS version of WC3 last night and it runs under DosBox. I've got a minor, but irritating, sound problem though. I get some skipping or stuttering. I hoping that I'll be able to make some adjustments to DosBox that will eliminate the problem.

I played the first mission and was frankly amazed at how crappy it looks....compared to Remake, X3 and SFRU. What's amazing is that I distinctly remember how blown away I was by the WC3's "killer graphics" back in '93. :)

I'm going to try to install all the DOS WC games under DosBox (which has markedly improved since the last time I used it. We're up to v. .71 now). I'm going to assemble and fire up an old Pac-Bell 386sx today and see if I can't copy my original WC and WC2 off those 5.25" diskettes on to 3.5 diskettes....and then transfer them to the harddrive of my current pc, which has a 3.5" drive. Frankly, I'll be really surprised if there's anything still readable on those old diskettes. The real issue is getting the DOS versions of SM1/2 and SO1/2, as I can't find them on-line for download.

After that, I'll install Academy and Armada, then I'll see if I can get the Win95 games, WC4 (with the Windows patch), Prophesy and Secret Operations to work.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

There are useful frontends for DosBox, I'm using D-Fend. You can make your settings very easily there. Also check out the DosBox forums, they have suggestions for every single game there.
Mav23
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Mav23 »

Haha, just popping back in to say that after I bragged about how well KS runs in Vista, I tried to re-install the thing and it won't even let me do that! I honestly don't know what happened, as I had installed it once and played them all very succesfully on Vista before.

With this and my X-Box getting the Red Ring Of Death yesterday as I tried to start my very first mission of Wing Commander Arena, I have come to the conclusion that technology hates me.
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

Mav23 wrote:Haha, just popping back in to say that after I bragged about how well KS runs in Vista, I tried to re-install the thing and it won't even let me do that! I honestly don't know what happened, as I had installed it once and played them all very succesfully on Vista before.

With this and my X-Box getting the Red Ring Of Death yesterday as I tried to start my very first mission of Wing Commander Arena, I have come to the conclusion that technology hates me.
It's SHODAN!
For every ounce of courage, every drope of hope..
A gallon of blood paid in advance...
Mav23
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Mav23 »

Haha, I was under the impression Microsoft was far more evil.
Anscar
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Anscar »

I've gone purist with WC. Decided I like the original DOS games better than the KS versions. After all, that's the way I played it back in the day....with black instead of dark blue space, permanent cockpit, no top-speed shortcut, mission selector (why the hell did KS drop this?), Origin orchestra at start-up, tinny music, etc. Got it up and running in DosBox. I alternate it with PR....takes me right back to the good ol' days. Slugging it out in a Scimitar in McAuliffe atm. Does it get any better than this? :D