Joystick remapping?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Voyager
Explorer
Explorer

Joystick remapping?

Post by Voyager »

I know I found it earlier, but I can't seem to turn up the FAQ on joystick remapping anymore. Anyone remember where it is?

Basically, my Sidewinder FFB2 bit the dust, so I decided it was time to bite the bullet, and get a full hotas system. So, here I am, trying to figure out, how do I map this thing, and, is it possible to map the three separate controllers into one mapping, or do I need to merge them into a single amorpheous ball of axies and buttons for PR ot recognise them?

On a side note, it would be really really nice if you guys ever managed to implement a click-and-push style control mapper.

Harry Voyager
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

you have to edit the cofig file manually it is XML so an XML aware editor is very handy any of the linux text editor with syntax highlighting if good just about all of them :D or if you are a Windows type get Notepad++ it's replacement for that old thing that comes with windows Notepad it has syntax highlighting and is also multi documents in tabs download link in this post http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 0275#80275

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Voyager
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Voyager »

Actually, my main problem is figuring out what my controllers and their inputs are called. I'm hazarding a guess that all of the actual commands that can be output are contained in the keyboard section, but which axies are which leaves me at a bit of a loss.

On top of that, I have two separate hat switches here, coming from two different control units, and from the looks of the bindings already there, it doesn't appear to have a way of distinguising them.

I suppose it doesn't help that this happened on my first play through, before I've even gotten enough to upgrade my radar, so I'm not even totally familiar with what the functions I'm binding actually do in game.

Really, just point me towards the documentation, and I'll be fine.

Harry Voyager
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

This is the most detailed how to for the joystick bindings ATM http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... s:Joystick

If you learn more feel free to edit the wiki to make it more clear.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Voyager
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Voyager »

Edit: Ah lag kill. Looks like you posted while I was still editing this post. From the Wiki it looks like I missed the entry in the #cat line. I'll try that when I get back from work.

Ok, so I've been experimenting with the existing configs, first aming to create a new config that I can test in. However, it's not showing up in the select box.

I've added the header line for the new setup here:

[...]
#desc joy_t_a_rev 3 Axis Joystick and Throttle
#desc joy_msswp2 Microsoft SideWinder Precision 2
#desc joy_chhotas CH Fighterstick USB HOTAS
#desc Retro Retro Detail
[...]

and the layout is, basically a copy of the SidwWinder Predision 2 layout here:

Code: Select all

<!-- #joy_chhotas -->
	<!-- Joystick:CH Fighterstick USB HOTAS:BEGIN-->
      	<!-- buttons:BEGIN -->
      	   <bind joystick="0" player="0" button="0" modifier="none" command="FireKey" />
      	   <bind joystick="0" button="1" modifier="none" command="MissileKey" />
      	   <bind joystick="0" button="2" modifier="none" command="PickTargetKey" />
      	   <bind joystick="0" button="3" modifier="none" command="LockTargetKey" />
      	   <bind joystick="0" button="4" modifier="none" command="TargetKey" />
      	   <bind joystick="0" button="5" modifier="none" command="MisSelKey" />
      	   <bind joystick="0" button="6" modifier="none" command="WeapSelKey" />
      	   <bind joystick="0" button="7" modifier="none" command="SheltonKey" />
      	<!-- buttons:END -->

<!-- axes:BEGIN -->
	         <axis name="x"        joystick="0" axis="0" inverse="false" />
	         <axis name="y"        joystick="0" axis="1" inverse="false" />
	         <axis name="z"        joystick="0" axis="3" inverse="true" />
	         <axis name="throttle" joystick="0" axis="2"/>
	      <!-- axes:END -->

<!-- Joystick:CH Fighterstick USB HOTAS:END-->
<!-- #end -->
Additionally, if I go into setup, save No Joystick, close setup, then delete the Sidewinder entires from the .config file, save the .config file, and then load up the Setup program, the Sidewinder entry is replaced with: joy_msswp2.

I get the impression I'm missing a flag here. Any ideas?

Harry Voyager
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Your section looks good all the tags are closed nothing commenting out a line there may be something needed to make setup aware of your additions what that is i do not know.

Voyager
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Voyager »

Well, apparently, it can't support more than the first two USB devices. Any time I try to get it to talk to joystick 2 or 3 it crashes. I'll try a merge, and see what happens there.