Missile Turrets and Torpedos

Forum For Privateer Remake
Golani
Explorer
Explorer

Missile Turrets and Torpedos

Post by Golani »

Hi,
which missiles do missile turrets fire? How may of those missiles can they hold?

Are Torpedos "dumb fire"? Which range?
Thanx, best
G
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Missile Turrets and Torpedos

Post by z30 »

Golani wrote:Hi,
which missiles do missile turrets fire? How may of those missiles can they hold?

Are Torpedos "dumb fire"? Which range?
Thanx, best
G
FriendorFoe, about a hundred of them. I''ll be taking this feature out of medium turrets though and will restrict these to large turrets for capital ships. There are unresolved bugs with the missile turrets fyi.

Torpedoes are dumbfire , the range if I remember right is 40-50k. Shields won't stop them.
Privateer Parallel Universe

http://pu.wcjunction.com
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Just some info, for whatever it may be worth:

I don't know about game canon, but canon from WC novels about torpedos is that they are very slow, in order to penetrate the phasing shields of capital ships. Don't ask me how phasing shields work, scientifically speaking :), but supposedly they put up resistance to moving objects. The faster the object, the more resistance.

Also, torpedos are not exactly dumbfire, in the novels, but rather manually guided with some kind of designator. During the Battle of Earth confrontations between Tolwyn's fleet and the advancing Cat fleet, confed bombers would have to fly straight and slow behind a carrier, launch the torpedo, and stay flying straight while guiding the torpedo until it hit.

Each torpedo had enough explosive power to typically take out a supercarrier's engine, so multiple torpedos are needed to immobilize or take out a carrier.

Standard strategy was to launch standard missiles at the carriers, mixed with the torpedos. The missiles didn't do any damage, but they kept autotracking point defenses busy, for one thing; and for another, the flashes of their explosions, as they hit the carrier's shields, would momentarily blind the tail turret gunners, so they couldn't see the torpedo coming.