No Music

Forum For Privateer Remake
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

No Music

Post by Zool »

I have tried everything I can think of to get the music to play, but it just won't. The only thing I can think of is maybe not enough RAM. Is 512Mb enough to get music to play? It's never worked from the first day I installed PR. but now I would like to hear it.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Rezaele
Explorer
Explorer

Re: No Music

Post by Rezaele »

Zool wrote:Is 512Mb enough to get music to play?
Based on my experiences, I had no problem with the music for the game regardless of the memory setting I placed on setup.

Q: Do you hear sound effects (i.e. firing your guns) when playing the game?
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Check your firewall - it may be preventing the sound server from connecting to the localhost (127.0.0.1)
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Sound effects work great 99% of the time. Though if I'm using ab's and I start firing the AB sound is seriously muted and stays muted for a short while.

Thanks z30, I'll give it a go and let you know. (poetic or wot eh?) :wink:
Rezaele
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rezaele »

If you can hear sound effects then there is no problem with the soundserver.exe communicating with vegastrike or your localhost.

Q: Did you check your privateer setup if you have enabled music and sounds? If you have both of them enabled then it might just be a simple adjustment on the sound volume so you can hear the background music.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Oh no! Not the AB prob. That's supposed to be fixed. It was hard to fix IIRC.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Gunny
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by Gunny »

I've D/L'd the game from the NEW site and have the problem of all sound effects but no music. In this thread, couldn't find anything that explains what may cause sounds but not music from being heard. I went into the 'MUSIC' folder and can get each of the MIDI Sequence files to play in the Windows Media Player, but when I start the game - No Music. If anyone has a thought on this, I'd interested.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Rezaele wrote:If you can hear sound effects then there is no problem with the soundserver.exe communicating with vegastrike or your localhost.

Q: Did you check your privateer setup if you have enabled music and sounds? If you have both of them enabled then it might just be a simple adjustment on the sound volume so you can hear the background music.
That's incorrect. Soundserver.exe handles music, vegastrike.exe handles sound effects. So if you hear sound effects and no music, there could very well be a communication problem with soundserver.

However, checking if you enabled music and sounds is highly reccomended. :)
You might also try installing OpenALwEAX.exe or changing the versions of sound-related DLLs.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

The OpenALwEAX.exe in the bin folder usually does the trick 8) for sound effects there is a pierce firewall setting in the cofig file to check if the widows firewall is baulking it.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

The OpenALwEAX.exe in the bin folder usually does the trick ....
There is no such file in my bin or any other folder, or anything similar. Are you talking about the "vegastrike.config" or the "setup.config" or other file??>

I run with my Windows Firewall turned off as it conflicts with my Mcafee Security Centre Firewall. I have added permission to the access list in Mcafee for soundserver.exe and vegastrike.exe. (Didn't seem to work). Why do these files need access to the Internet anyway?
Jeff2121
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Jeff2121 »

They don't access the interweb, they access your computer, but the firewall thinks its an intrusion attempt.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

WOOHOO!!!
I got music, yeah, yeah, yeah, I got music. :D

First I added access permission for soundserver.exe and vegastrike.exe to Win FW permissions list, not that I thought it would make any difference with Win FW being turned off anyway.

I had added the access permissions to Mcafee FW but still no music, BUT after looking around Mcafees settings for the umpteenth time I found a switch to temporarily disable the FW for a nominated period of time, said yes and ran the game.................

That's it folks, you gotta turn the FW off.

WOOHOO!!!
I got music, yeah, yeah, yeah, I got music.
I'm so happy now. :wink:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Now to get it to play music with the firewall that was the vegastrike.config file i referenced but there should be a similar section in the setup.cofig for privateer that should wake up Mcafee so you can explicitly allow soundserver.exe access.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

FYI, the reason the firewall barfs is that vegastrike controls soundserver through the "loopback device" or localhost. The computer connects to itself, but the firewall thinks it's either trying to connect to the network or is receiving an inbound connection, so it blocks it.
MamiyaOtaru
Privateer

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

This will be fixed in any version that comes out from now on. No more XP firewall, no more Linux soundmixing issues.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

MamiyaOtaru wrote:This will be fixed in any version that comes out from now on. No more XP firewall, no more Linux soundmixing issues.
MamiyaOtaru, good to see you! :D

And good to know that soundserver is on the out.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Glad to have you back, Mamiya. This just worked out perfectly, didn't it? PU moved to a new home just as PR is about come back to life. I guess the forum could be renamed back.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

MO, welcome back!!!