i open savegame with notepad and change tarsus.begin ---> paradigm
after
i open unit.csv and unit-180.csv and change paradigm cocpit ---> capship

but its dont work. help me pls.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

Well, my first advice would be to remember that your POV when in the cockpit varies from ship to ship. You should also bear in mind the Paradigm has not had a cockpit made for it yet. However, I understand Dilloh, who is wise in these matters, has a capship cockpit in mind which will be included in PU in the not-so-distant future.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

The problem with the paradigm cockpit or capship cockpit overall is that there is no reference in wing commander. Capships are not meant to be flyable, this is just a gimmick. So there are loads of opinions what it should look like. Some say like a one-person-cockpit, others want a bridge, whereas there are also asks for a manned bridge.

I found a cockpit made by Gosshawk a long time ago, it is based on a Tarsus and was modified to look more like a small bridge, so I think we can use this one until someone makes something more suitable.

I'll also browse some WCU sources but I doubt to find anything.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I preffer a bridge as your piloting a corvet. Corvets are BIG ships.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

Let me see... I visualise a bridge with a vidscreen stretching in all directions, save one spot where there is a door (360 degree visualistion). Workstations with techs dot the floor, which is huge, and your POV is right slap bang in the middle of this, at the captain's chair. To your left and right are aides; to the rear and front are walkways leading to the tiers of workstations.

Cargo runs just about pay for the crew's wages.
Rezaele
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rezaele »

Dilloh wrote:The problem with the paradigm cockpit or capship cockpit overall is that there is no reference in wing commander. Capships are not meant to be flyable, this is just a gimmick. So there are loads of opinions what it should look like. Some say like a one-person-cockpit, others want a bridge, whereas there are also asks for a manned bridge.

I found a cockpit made by Gosshawk a long time ago, it is based on a Tarsus and was modified to look more like a small bridge, so I think we can use this one until someone makes something more suitable.

I'll also browse some WCU sources but I doubt to find anything.
With all the other things in the MOD occupying your time, better leave the paradigm cockpit as is or just use what is readily available.

IMHO, flying the paradigm is just too far fetch under the "privateer" context since why would one fly a "destroyer" class ship for simple cargo runs.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Let me see, if you can extend your cargo space by factor 5000, you can make the money of your life. If you could extend your monthly payment by factor 5000, wouldn't you do it once in your lifetime?

Fyi, we're going to change this factor.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Well, if tax, heftier docking fee's are introduced then it may be balenced out.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Can anyone actually picture Burrows in a bar conducting interviews for a crew to man his Drayman/Paradigm. And why would the military part with a perfectly good light cap ship anyway, (We need to make up our minds whether the Paradigm is a corvette or destroyer. It can't be both) unless there is a better model available for Confed, if so there where is it in Gemini. I agree with some of the arguments for having then ingame, BUT it's just not canon (flying a capship) in any WC.
(Disclaimer: Armada possibly excluded due to my never having seen or played it.) :)
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Rezaele
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rezaele »

@zool
The Paradigm is a destroyer class ship based on the Privateer manual. See below quote from the manual:
Paradigm

Class: Confederation Capital Ship

Max. Velocity: 200 kps

Afterburner Velocity: n/a

Acceleration: Poor

Max. YPR: Poor

Weapons:
Meson Blasters (2) Tachyon Cannon (2)
Turreted Mass Drivers (3)
IR Missiles (2)
Ionic Pulse Cannon (1)
Turreted Lasers (3)
DF Missiles ( 10 )
HS Missile ( 1 )

Armor
Sides: 65 cm equiv. each
Front: 80 cm equiv.
Rear: 50 cm equiv.

The Paradigm is one of the Confederations most advanced destroyers. Featuring almost impregnable armor and shields, it more than compensates for its lack of speed and maneuverability. The Paradigm also has a deadly array of weapons at its disposal, making an attack
of any sort extremely dangerous. It carries an astonishing variety of blasters, ranging from meson blasters to ionic pulse cannon. Multiple missiles can deter even the most aggressive Kilrathi aces.
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

Does anyone know if you can own a Concordia in WCU are there any chances of a Concordia Class port from WCU to PCU?

One thing I never got to do in Wing Commander that I always wanted to was to own a Concordia with a Raptor or a Rapier or a Broadsword fighter to go with it. I love those old green ships. Speaking of which. Did anyone ever make a green Broadsword skin for PCU?
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Mind you the Paradigm is old and being moth balled. If i can find Fleet tactics i will get the ship that replaced it.
Rezaele
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rezaele »

Zool wrote:Can anyone actually picture Burrows in a bar conducting interviews for a crew to man his Drayman/Paradigm.
OT:
In looking up the original privateer manual again, I was a bit suprised to have forgotten about the little background about "Burrows" before going to the Gemini Sector in the manual. He previously worked as a"first mate" for the ship Scarab which is a drayman class ship and became it's temp captain when then Captain Kane died during a fight while fleeing the Retro's attack on Sheol.

Anyways, that piece of trivia for me is a pretty good canon reference as to explain why we can get a Drayman class ship in-game.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Zool wrote:Can anyone actually picture Burrows in a bar conducting interviews for a crew to man his Drayman/Paradigm. And why would the military part with a perfectly good light cap ship anyway, (We need to make up our minds whether the Paradigm is a corvette or destroyer. It can't be both) unless there is a better model available for Confed, if so there where is it in Gemini. I agree with some of the arguments for having then ingame, BUT it's just not canon (flying a capship) in any WC.
Surely it is canon, but let's not break heads how a capship should be flyable. I'm just wondering why everybody wants manned turrets for their capship. A PC in 2007 can steer a simulated turret, so why cannot a computer in 2669 can steer a real turret? Who ever tried to steer a turret inflight, this goes to everone who ever played X-Wing Alliance? The computer does this better IMHO.
S1 wrote:Does anyone know if you can own a Concordia in WCU are there any chances of a Concordia Class port from WCU to PCU?
If it is in any WCU shippack, it is portable.
S1 wrote:One thing I never got to do in Wing Commander that I always wanted to was to own a Concordia with a Raptor or a Rapier or a Broadsword fighter to go with it. I love those old green ships. Speaking of which. Did anyone ever make a green Broadsword skin for PCU?
I don't know what you're expecting from it: It will be extremely slow and sluggish, and there are no interiors made for it yet.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

OT:
I was working on a Concoria model, a while back; I can finish it up if there's interest.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 0066#80066

/OT

I haven't read all of this thread, but there's one good argument I can think of for NOT letting the player own capships as things stand; and this was discussed at length, recently, in the WCU forum. Capships are not atmo-capable in WC, so it goes against WC canon to fly a paradigm into Oxford and to see the ship sitting at the spaceport. One solution could be to have space elevator stations around planets and when you own a capship you dock with that station. Another could be to leave the capship in orbit and fly a shuttle down.

BTW, the Paradigm is definitely and officially a destroyer, NOT a corvette. And that's right, the Confeds would never in a million years sell a destroyer to a civilian; --specially near the end of the war, when the Confederation hardly has any ships left...

One neat solution, if you want to allow the player to experience piloting strictly military ships would be to have Confed job postings the player can take and that involve leaving the ship they own at the Perry parking lot and flying a Confed ship in a raid into Kilrah, as part of a fleet perhaps. That way you never get the chance to trade, or to land the capship, but you get to fly it.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Good point about the atmospherics Chuck. Another thing they were probably not designed to land on planets and are most likely too big to use a docking bay on any of the stations. (Yes, I know there's an image of a Drayman and a Paradimg in the New Con landing area). I can accept the desire to own a Drayman for cargo hauling but there's no need for buyable Paradigms, unless Dilloh's got another cool campaign up his sleeve somewhere. :)

Has anyone ever noticed how ridiculous it looks when you see a Drayman/Paradigm/Kamekh in a landing pad or in a landing bay? The scale is just awful and they look soooooooooo.... out of place. :lol:

And could someone please explain the following abbreviations to me??? :?
OT
IIRC
IWO

Thanks.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

I for one LOVE cap ships, i would settle for flying it for the Confed, though i like the idea of space elevators.

I like getting a paradigm, changing the shields so they effected only by heavy gun fire, and taking on three bounty missions conststing og 40 enemy ships. So that equals, 120 attacking ships.

Jeannette "Angel" Devereaux once said: "Justice is decided in the courts, not with particle cannons." But i could dispute that.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Rezaele
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Rezaele »

Zool wrote: And could someone please explain the following abbreviations to me??? :?
OT
IIRC
IWO

Thanks.
OT = Off Topic
IIRC = If I Remember (or Recall) Correctly
dunno about IWO or is it just a typo of "IOW" which is "In Other Words".

here's a link of common internet slang/abbreviations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIRC#top

HTH
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

Zool wrote:Good point about the atmospherics Chuck. Another thing they were probably not designed to land on planets and are most likely too big to use a docking bay on any of the stations. (Yes, I know there's an image of a Drayman and a Paradimg in the New Con landing area). I can accept the desire to own a Drayman for cargo hauling but there's no need for buyable Paradigms, unless Dilloh's got another cool campaign up his sleeve somewhere. :)

Has anyone ever noticed how ridiculous it looks when you see a Drayman/Paradigm/Kamekh in a landing pad or in a landing bay? The scale is just awful and they look soooooooooo.... out of place. :lol:

And could someone please explain the following abbreviations to me??? :?
OT
IIRC
IWO

Thanks.
No cap ships I thought this was PCU not GG. Theres no point to playing this version if you take out the capships sorry.
(Yes, I know there's an image of a Drayman and a Paradimg in the New Con landing area).
Exactly why we should be able to use capships.

I say you include the following ships then stop here.
Drayman/Civilian Transport
Paradigm/Confed Destroyer
Kamek/Alien Destoyer
Concordia/Carrier
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Guys, let's compromise: Owning capships should be okay, with the only caveat that they don't land on planets. They can only land (or dock with) stations. Mining bases and refineries are stations. New Cons is a station. Perry is a station. Just planets you cannot land on. All this means, in practical terms, is that once you get close to a planet in a Paradigm and press D you see an image of a generic space station, representing a *Space Elevator Station*, with the Paradigm externally docked to it, as opposed to seeing the planet surface. Pretty simple concept, though it may take a bit of programming to implement.
Also, the screens of a landing pad at mining and refinery bases should be replaced with an externally docked paradigm screen.
So, what it boils down to is having alternative docking screens for capships.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Sounds ok. :| I like the space station, as no ship in wcu was capable of docking at planets.

Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Sounds ok. :| I like the space station, as no ship in wcu was capable of docking at planets.
Not sure about docking planetside but the Sabre could fight & manuever in a planet's atmosphere - so could the Kilrathi Jalthi (too bad the WCU model is very primitive).

The Tarsus, Galaxy, Orion & Centurion are definitely atmospheric & dockable.

You're right though most WC vessels can't.

It should be possible , once attempting to dock planetside, to check if your ship actually has the capability to land.
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

S1Genocide wrote:No cap ships I thought this was PCU not GG. Theres no point to playing this version if you take out the capships sorry.
This is a rather slippery slope, the general consensus seems to be that a relaxed adherence to canonity is best for the PU project. That is to we might throw in a few variant/upgraded ships (tarsus MK2 is a good example). Possibly ships that are a bit out of date (either newer or older than PR lore would suggest should be present). But it is very doubtful we'll have X-wings zipping around. I certainly cannot agree that there is no point to PU without capships, in fact it's a bit offensive.
z30 wrote:It should be possible , once attempting to dock planetside, to check if your ship actually has the capability to land.
Wouldn't a simple true or false "switch" suffice for this purpose?
For every ounce of courage, every drope of hope..
A gallon of blood paid in advance...
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

S1Genocide wrote:
No cap ships I thought this was PCU not GG. Theres no point to playing this version if you take out the capships sorry.
(Yes, I know there's an image of a Drayman and a Paradimg in the New Con landing area).
Exactly why we should be able to use capships.

I say you include the following ships then stop here.
Drayman/Civilian Transport
Paradigm/Confed Destroyer
Kamek/Alien Destoyer
Concordia/Carrier
You'll be disappointed if you're expecting a WC1 experience as far as the capships are concerned. Capships in PR & PU operate the same as Draymans - the code to make them have true capship operations isn't there yet.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

z30 wrote:The Tarsus, Galaxy, Orion & Centurion are definitely atmospheric & dockable.

The Galaxy, tarsus and Orion, would fall like an elevator with a broken cable. They are not in a flyable shape. The is not enough wing surface and are not aero-dynamic. The Centyrion could though. It's more like a plane.

Team Fortress 2