OKIam COMPLETELY disguste(and the rest of the story see pg2)

Forum For Privateer Remake
Bubba
Trader
Trader

OKIam COMPLETELY disguste(and the rest of the story see pg2)

Post by Bubba »

Yeah I'm playing the gold version of the game but..............

A little background: I played this game when it first came out. Without a joystick using keyboard control and I was DAMN good at it. Never defeated the green glob (because you CAN'T I just found out) but I battled that bastich for almost 3 hours once before I gave up and went on to RF. Just found out you were supposed to run to a mining base and ect....... didn't have internet back in those days so I just had to wing it. I finished RF at the highest level with no prob driving a Centurion. Yet here I am playing on EASY and it's ridiculous.

I went through the Lych second mission almost 300 times before the 9
read that? 9 ships, 3 demons and 6 Kilrathi (I killed one demon) ran into asteroids and self destructed. Now I'm trying to get to the Oxford missions, on EASY MODE and I get a brazillion ships before I can even GET to oxford. Yeah, I'm a weirdo, I think that if you have to CHEAT to make it through a game then the game isn't worth playing. "I do not lie nor cheat nor steal nor tolerate those who do," it's a code I adopted once and still live by. My question is this:

Is the Vega version of this game one in which you have to cheat to beat or is it doable? I WILL NOT waste one more second of time with this gold version. Is your version any better or is it merely a quest of computer programmers trying to outwit computer programmers to cheat their way through a "game": IE the "game" not being the stated game but a game of matching wits with code?

Silly me thinking I was playing with a straight deck. If I want to match wits with programmers I'll learn to program and then match wits with systems that can earn me cash, I just wanted to play a game I love WITHOUT having to be a cheater.
Last edited by Bubba on Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

I never played GG, but I thought it was supposed to be EXACTLY like the original... LOL
Well, get PR/PU and give it a try.
One thing, tho: GG and PR/PU use the same Vegastrike engine. And the vegastrike engine is a bit too good in some respects. In the original Privateer game, when you're fighting a dozen enemies, only one or two are actually shooting at you; the rest are more like background decor, until their turns come. The Vegastrike engine models physics and AI for all the ships involved in the local theatre at the same time; so confrontations with multiple enemies are bound to be more difficult under the auspices of the Vegastrike engine, which in a way is more realistic too, --I mean, the fact one could fight dozens of Demons and live to tell the story never made too much sense to me.
But I know that a lot op people download PR/PU and manage to get through, so Z30 and Dilloh must have done something right to compensate, I would suppose.
Where I got stuck last time I played PR was the defend Toth mission in Oxford. I cheated, as I'm too old to really care to prove myself; I just wanted to get through the damn mission.

EDIT:
I'm glad to meet one of those few people who will complain if a game is too hard. One thing I love to hate is the fact that there's always crowds of boisterous gamers complaining about games being "too easy" that I couldn't play even at the easiest level. Those macho types ruin gaming for the rest of us, the silent minority that waste money buying games only to be able to play a fraction of the missions. If you find PR/PU too hard, please let us know.
Bubba
Trader
Trader

Post by Bubba »

LOL Canook buddy, I ALWAYS tell it like I see it. Gold isn't "too hard", it's impossible. 300+ attempts at the second mission? How commercially viable would Privateer have been if THAT was how it was? How many hard headed buttheads would have waited around that long for a FLUKE (and I got through the gold version on a fluke)? I am one "enter" away from deleting that crap off my computer and downloading the version from here. That "enter" would be the enter after this post. Although I hate to do all the stuff over again, I can't see trying to get to Oxford 300+ times. I am SO over that crap. I might as well go get wasted by 13 year olds online playing Call of Duty 2 lol. At least i will have more of a chance.
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

In Privateer Remake you can dock at Drayman's (the ship at the Oxford mission you have to protect from Demons attacking it) so dock repair and rearm their. You can also hire wingmen to help you out as well, just save before, then hire a couple wingmen, they should help out a little.

On the Palan mission you can always dock on the planet restock and repair and then go at the Demons again.

Maybe these pieces of advice are not for you, but thats how I beat these missions (yeah there cheap I know). Hope it helps.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Ah, good tips; thank you. I'll remember that next time I play the game; which may be soon; need to get myself up to date with all the newer campaigns.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: OK I am COMPLETELY disgusted

Post by z30 »

Bubba wrote:Yeah I'm playing the gold version of the game but..............

A little background: I played this game when it first came out. Without a joystick using keyboard control and I was DAMN good at it. Never defeated the green glob (because you CAN'T I just found out) but I battled that bastich for almost 3 hours once before I gave up and went on to RF. Just found out you were supposed to run to a mining base and ect....... didn't have internet back in those days so I just had to wing it. I finished RF at the highest level with no prob driving a Centurion. Yet here I am playing on EASY and it's ridiculous.
We made the ff. adjustments in the PU mod patch to address this very thing :

* friendly systems like NewCon, NewDet, Perry etc have higher (compare to the original Privateer Remake) ship generation. This makes them (relatively) safe centers. You could have a bunch of bogies on your tail but as long as you can make it to these places - you're ok :)

* tougher shields for capships - this makes the Drayman in the infamous Oxford mission last longer against the Demon onslaught. It's also more realistic - capships shouldn't be that easy to take down after all.

* the Tarsus Mk2 - made by Gosshawk and which actually started this whole thing. The extra turret makes a big difference in survivability for beginners. And in the next patch a mission has been created by Dilloh so that the player has to earn it - in Troy .

You'll have to install Privateer Remake 1.2 then patch it with PU-1b6-DSE, I think there is a stick above that has the link.

Don't give up on the game, give this patch a try.
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

Well said Z30.

Bubba, much like you i played GG first, and after playing for a while i got the Centurion..I got killed in my first mission with it. To say the least i wasn't too impressed with the Cent, and i realized there weren't any better fighters (for me at least) to get in GG. Then one way or another i stumbled upon PR shortly before PU was born. I'm still here, both because of the mod and the community. I don't have PR on my system atm (drown me) because there are other games that demand my attention, but there is no doubt i will be flying my Gothri sooner or later.

Obviously i can't tell you which version is right for you, but i can tell you that your opinions will not fall on deaf ears here.
For every ounce of courage, every drope of hope..
A gallon of blood paid in advance...
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

OnyxPaladin wrote:
I'm still here, both because of the mod and the community. I don't have PR on my system atm (drown me) because there are other games that demand my attention, but there is no doubt i will be flying my Gothri sooner or later.

Obviously i can't tell you which version is right for you, but i can tell you that your opinions will not fall on deaf ears here.
I haven't forgotten your Gothri - if there is a way we can work in a mission which will make this obtainable through the normal means we will.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Kats can be quite friendly and trustworthy once you get to know them. Hobbes was the exception; but Kirha was loyal to Ian till the end. And then the surviving kats from the KIS Karga were quite a decent bunch. There are many kat clans that might readily join up with humans to fight another clan. There are also kat rebels in Ghora Khar, I think it was, who have joined the Confederation. And in the southern backwaters of Kilrah, there's active trade between them and the Landreich. Plenty of ways of getting just about any kat ship there should be, for a determined player.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Bubba wrote:Now I'm trying to get to the Oxford missions, on EASY MODE and I get a brazillion ships before I can even GET to oxford. Yeah, I'm a weirdo, I think that if you have to CHEAT to make it through a game then the game isn't worth playing. "I do not lie nor cheat nor steal nor tolerate those who do," it's a code I adopted once and still live by. My question is this:
Ship accumulations usually appear when you've been playing for too long: Your foes fly around, do their seven jumps until they have no more fuel, and sit around in a system and just don't get destroyed. The solution is save+load or just restart the whole game again... you'll find yourself in an empty universe again, where ships need to be spawned again in first place. I'm not sure if you'd consider this cheating, I'd rather say it's a clean-up of something which went wrong.
Bubba wrote:Is the Vega version of this game one in which you have to cheat to beat or is it doable? I WILL NOT waste one more second of time with this gold version. Is your version any better or is it merely a quest of computer programmers trying to outwit computer programmers to cheat their way through a "game": IE the "game" not being the stated game but a game of matching wits with code?
To make it short, GG cares a lot for graphics and artwork, PR wants to offer a better experience. More ships, more missions, more possibilites.
z30 wrote:I haven't forgotten your Gothri - if there is a way we can work in a mission which will make this obtainable through the normal means we will.
chuck wrote:Kats can be quite friendly and trustworthy once you get to know them. Hobbes was the exception; but Kirha was loyal to Ian till the end. And then the surviving kats from the KIS Karga were quite a decent bunch. There are many kat clans that might readily join up with humans to fight another clan. There are also kat rebels in Ghora Khar, I think it was, who have joined the Confederation. And in the southern backwaters of Kilrah, there's active trade between them and the Landreich. Plenty of ways of getting just about any kat ship there should be, for a determined player.
I once had Pr1.1, you got Dralthi/Gothri/Kamekh/Cloak at the SPOILER hidden asteroid base. Either we go back to this base, or we found something new. But there is no problem to let two storylines end at one place.
Bubba
Trader
Trader

Post by Bubba »

Thanks for the advise and encouragement. I DX'ed the Gold version and just started the Vega version. LOL I always hated the first bit, flying around Troy to earn some cash, but it passes soon enough.

The additions look fun. Although I don't have 40,000 to try out a wingman yet I will eventually. The addition of the rescue missions is pretty cool as well. (Dummy me took one before I remembered that my tractor beam was in the turret of the now non existant centurion from the gold version.) Can't wait to try out a repulsor. Do they work well? I mean at 167,000 MJ they look to pack a whollup.

The only "problem" I see right now is that I have to search this site a little more to see what new additions can go on what ships. Before I was using the original Privateer site for the ship upgrade list and nav map. Is the "galaxy" here the same or are there additions there as well?
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Bubba wrote: The additions look fun. Although I don't have 40,000 to try out a wingman yet I will eventually. The addition of the rescue missions is pretty cool as well. (Dummy me took one before I remembered that my tractor beam was in the turret of the now non existant centurion from the gold version.) Can't wait to try out a repulsor. Do they work well? I mean at 167,000 MJ they look to pack a whollup.

The only "problem" I see right now is that I have to search this site a little more to see what new additions can go on what ships. Before I was using the original Privateer site for the ship upgrade list and nav map. Is the "galaxy" here the same or are there additions there as well?
The Galaxy in PU handles closer to what the original felt than the PR version. Haven't really tried GG that much.

PR & PU have automatic turrets btw , you can direct them to fire at one target or fire at will (or stop firing - sometimes you need to do that to avoid hitting a friendly Drayman)

Which reminds me , guys we have to revise the PR manual for the mod.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Bubba wrote:Thanks for the advise and encouragement. I DX'ed the Gold version and just started the Vega version. LOL I always hated the first bit, flying around Troy to earn some cash, but it passes soon enough.
LOL I've followed your discussions in the Gemini Gold forum. I think they somewhat "convinced" you to go to PR, eh?
Bubba wrote:Although I don't have 40,000 to try out a wingman yet I will eventually.
Wingmen are usually not worth their money, but are best used in the early stages of the game. Especially confed wingmen of the Broadsword type are real killers!
z30 wrote:Haven't really tried GG that much.
@Bubba, we have revisited variants of both the Orion and Galaxy, with more turrets and better shields in favor of less cargo space. Those are unbalanced and some features will be reworked, but they're worth a try - if you have the credits. Flying around with 5 turrets can be fun indeed.
z30 wrote:Which reminds me , guys we have to revise the PR manual for the mod.
?
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Bubba, at least you're not alone here. I had to a lot of the missions many times each when I first started playing PR. (never tried GG).YES it can be VERY hard, even on the easiest level and YES it can be VERY frustrating having to do the missions over and over again, but mate, if you love Priv like we do then you just gotta stick with it. :wink:
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Bubba
Trader
Trader

Post by Bubba »

Dilloh wrote:
Bubba wrote:Thanks for the advise and encouragement. I DX'ed the Gold version and just started the Vega version. LOL I always hated the first bit, flying around Troy to earn some cash, but it passes soon enough.
LOL I've followed your discussions in the Gemini Gold forum. I think they somewhat "convinced" you to go to PR, eh?
Bubba wrote:Although I don't have 40,000 to try out a wingman yet I will eventually.
Wingmen are usually not worth their money, but are best used in the early stages of the game. Especially confed wingmen of the Broadsword type are real killers!
z30 wrote:Haven't really tried GG that much.
@Bubba, we have revisited variants of both the Orion and Galaxy, with more turrets and better shields in favor of less cargo space. Those are unbalanced and some features will be reworked, but they're worth a try - if you have the credits. Flying around with 5 turrets can be fun indeed.
?
Well just damn. I'm not as up to speed as you folks to be able to pick and choose quotes so I have to just quote the whole damn thing.

Dilloh, I dunno what the hell they said as I posted my piece and split. Wasn't worth the effort to listen to the weak assed fallout. Plain and simple, their game sucks. WHen you are getting gang banged by 10+ ships on EASY mode it says a lot. They aren't interested in "maintaining reality" (reality in a fantasy game? Someone smack me here because I'm lost), they are snobs who want to make it as difficult as possible. It is a self correcting behavior. People who AREN'T Privateer snobs will not be interested in the game as they have it.

I've been playing the Vega version today. It's nice. On EASY mode it's well......... easy. I can relearn my skills without being gang banged by 40 brazzilion ships. Whatever those losers on the other site have decided, IMHO they are just that, losers. And as long as they choose to be be butthead snobs and make the game so hard on even the EASY level, they will always be losers. I wouldn't walk across the street to piss on them if they were on fire. They are the "baptist" version of privateer.

EDIT: Oh, I'm here (on this site) to decide about a ship upgrade. I have cash enough now to get on with the mission and want to see what to upgrade to. I always played the centurion, but reading here makes me wonder if that's what I want. Hmmmmmmmmmm decisions, decisions......

EDIT part two: LOL I just COULDN'T resist going back to the gold site and read and reply. Shame on me.......... LOLOLOLOL
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

z30 wrote:I haven't forgotten your Gothri - if there is a way we can work in a mission which will make this obtainable through the normal means we will.
Awww, now i feel special. Hehe..
Bubba wrote:Oh, I'm here (on this site) to decide about a ship upgrade. I have cash enough now to get on with the mission and want to see what to upgrade to. I always played the centurion, but reading here makes me wonder if that's what I want. Hmmmmmmmmmm decisions, decisions......
Best advise i can give, make a second (or third) save as a backup. Then you have freedom to try as many different ships as you want, so long as you have the funds for it.

Also, when selling a ship make sure to sell ALL the upgrades, weapons, etc. before selling the actual ship. For some reason the game does not take into account the upgrades to your ship so you only get the stock price for it.
For every ounce of courage, every drope of hope..
A gallon of blood paid in advance...
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Bubba, Did you got BANNED? Good job! Hmmm, i went and i gave them a few pointers on how to keep members which i think they need.

The best way i think is to stay freindly with the Kats intil you can get a Drayman and snap up a Drelthi or Gothri.

On palan and Oxford the trick is too destroy everything as quickly as possible. When i first started playing i found it very hard and almost gave up. That was two years ago, and i recently decided to play it again. I found Oxford and Palan were my favourite.
Dilloh wrote:LOL I've followed your discussions in the Gemini Gold forum. I think they somewhat "convinced" you to go to PR, eh?
Lol, ROFL. They sure did for me. when i first started playing and i posted something like that but i was not banned and treated badly.
Yeah, though it will have to either 1) be a new seperate one, or 2) be edited and explain the mod, How to get it, and the specs. I like the last one better.
Dilloh wrote:To make it short, GG cares a lot for graphics and artwork, PR wants to offer a better experience. More ships, more missions, more possibilites.
Very True, very true.

Andy
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

MAS wrote:Bubba, Did you got BANNED? Good job! Hmmm, i went and i gave them a few pointers on how to keep members which i think they need.
I don't think he got banned, but he is the first GG forum member besides GG devs who ever got an avatar on his own:
Bubba, just be sure this is not the way we deal with general criticism around here.
MAS wrote:On palan and Oxford the trick is too destroy everything as quickly as possible. When i first started playing i found it very hard and almost gave up. That was two years ago, and i recently decided to play it again. I found Oxford and Palan were my favourite.
Oxford/Toth and Palan missions are indeed the hardest in the whole game, yet doable. At least you shouldn't fail within the first few seconds, so I think more replays than 5 times are not common.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

Bubba: First of all, welcome to PU.

Um, I'd like to caution you a little about your choice of words. If you've got strong opinions you have every right to voice them (taking that away would be inhuman) but could you watch your language a little? We have kids browsing here sometimes, you see. And try and stop short of openly insulting people if you can. It's not really my business to say this (I'm not a mod exactly) but could you try and rein in your temper a bit? That sort of thing comes over much more strongly over a forum than it does when spoken, as the people reading don’t know you. They won’t think ‘oh, that’s just Bubba’. They’ll think ‘woah, who does this guy think he is? Oy, Mods, ban this ***hole.’

So if you could do that, that would be great.

-Targ Collective
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

I don't think he got banned, but he is the first GG forum member besides GG devs who ever got an avatar on his own:
:lol: They even created a new rank you pissed em off so bad 'net trash' :shock:
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Orthuberra wrote:
Yah, I think Bubba rocked their world :wink:

Back on topic , I'd be interested to see if Targ's autotracking turrets make escort TarsusMk2's , Orion's and Galaxy's better escorts.
Bubba
Trader
Trader

Post by Bubba »

Orthuberra wrote:
LOL I guess that makes me "special". I didn't see it as I didn't go back. I saw nothing worth returning there for.

Day2 Update: (day2 with the Vegas version) This game rocks. I love the new ideas ya'll incorporated, though i haven't done a wingman and am still fuzzy on how to expand my fleet. Not really sure if the auot tracker is doing any more than regular shooting, but I'm not selling them. I didn't notice it making the photon torpedoes much more accurate. Well maybe a little more accurate, but they still don't turn do they?

Now it's been over ten years since I played Privateer but I don't seem to recall being friends with the Kilrathi. I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the "You make me laugh monkeyboy" line. Was that an Origin original that I have just forgotten about? Hmmmmmmm although now that I'm sitting here thinking about it I think a was able to play nice with the Catfaces (Catfaci?) until the mission required me to kill them.

Anyways, again ya'll have done a great job. I'm not through even the first set of missions but I need to be on a higher level now I think. Can't wait to finish this and RF so I can try out your PU game. LOL I'm too old to be playing stupid computer games. What I SHOULD be doing is finishing up this baby crib I'm making for a friend and then make that arched screen door for a neighbor so I can then finish my FIL's basement and enclose my garage............... But this is more fun right now lol. That wood will still be there tomorrow.................. Hey, while ya'll are being so helpful, does anyone wanna come help me pour some concrete and set a door?
Bubba
Trader
Trader

Post by Bubba »

targ collective wrote:Bubba: First of all, welcome to PU.

Um, I'd like to caution you a little about your choice of words. If you've got strong opinions you have every right to voice them (taking that away would be inhuman) but could you watch your language a little? We have kids browsing here sometimes, you see. And try and stop short of openly insulting people if you can. It's not really my business to say this (I'm not a mod exactly) but could you try and rein in your temper a bit? That sort of thing comes over much more strongly over a forum than it does when spoken, as the people reading don’t know you. They won’t think ‘oh, that’s just Bubba’. They’ll think ‘woah, who does this guy think he is? Oy, Mods, ban this ***hole.’

So if you could do that, that would be great.

-Targ Collective
Hmmmmmm. well not to be a rectal pore or anything but.......... We ARE on a website concerning a game in which you HAVE to become a criminal and smuggle illegal drugs in order to advance, correct? I would be more cautious of my 5 year old learning THAT behavior than of the words ass or piss (which can and are used on broadcast TV). But then that's just me. I just have never seen the difference in actually SAYING something and typing ***hole. Not a criticism, just my twisted way of looking at life I reckon. Milage and opinions obviously vary though lol. Some find my bluntness rather disconcerting while others find it refreshing. I'm too old to change my ways now though.

But since you remarked so gently as well as eloquently, I will do my best to temper my "enthusiasm" as it were, just for you. Fair enough?
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

Bubba wrote:Can't wait to finish this and RF so I can try out your PU game.
You don't need to finish RF to use Parallel Universe; it's just a mod for PR, not a separate game.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

More than fair - thanks for your consideration.

In clarification, though, it really doesn't bother me much. (I've known some incredibly colourful characters in my time.) I'm more concerned about how others will perceive you, and about kids - you don't need to be x years old to download the game and participate here, after all.

As for your enthusiasm, enthusiasm's good. Look at my Turret Pack - enthusiasm did that. Look at PU, PR, GG for that matter; enthusiasm is not to be discouraged. My point is more concerned with how to put that enthusiasm across - maybe I'm old-fashioned in these things, a challenge at just 20, but there is a 'right' and a 'wrong' way of doing this, something I'm sure you'll know all about as a writer. And I can't help feel that peppering the odd obscenity in the posts is a pretty long ways short of 'right', not that it's for me to criticise of course.

Now I feel awkward for bringing this up. Ah well, I'll say what I feel should be said anyway. *Hits Submit*