Problems with game startup

Forum For Privateer Remake
LogisticEarth
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Problems with game startup

Post by LogisticEarth »

Hi everyone, just found the remake through The Underdogs and it looks great. I downloaded it, installed, and started the game up but....

It seems to freeze when trying to load the file "thrusters018.png" every time I start up. Is this some kind huge file that takes some time to load or is the game actually locking up? It's odd because it loads everything prior to that file really fast, but freezes on thrusters018.png. Any idea what's going on here?

Basic system specs:

Windows XP
ATI X800 XT graphics card
1GB RAM
1.83ghz processor
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Try setting the graphics & sound levels to the lowest setting and see if everything comes up right.

Are you using the defaults?
LogisticEarth
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by LogisticEarth »

I was using whatever default settings came up. But that wasn't the problem.

Turns out when that file came up was the same time that the game attempted to access the net and my firewall was popping up in the background. Ran the game in windows mode, gave the game access, and it works like a charm. Problem solved!
vegafan
Trader
Trader

Post by vegafan »

I'm having the exact same problem, but allowing it through my firewall and running it in windowed mode doesn't help. I also tried adjusting the graphics and sound levels, but that didn't help either.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

The most common problems are video adapter driver related. If you have an NVIDIA chip on your graphic card, load the game again, go drink a coffee, smoke a cigarette, take a shower, just waste some time and come back after 10 minutes. Maybe the game has loaded then but will run incredibly slow. Even if not, the best try is getting yourself the latest video card drivers, install those and try again.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

vegafan wrote:I'm having the exact same problem, but allowing it through my firewall and running it in windowed mode doesn't help. I also tried adjusting the graphics and sound levels, but that didn't help either.
Try these graphics settings, let us know if it works or not.