New to the Privateer Remake: Some questions about Mods

Forum For Privateer Remake
silellak
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

New to the Privateer Remake: Some questions about Mods

Post by silellak »

Hey all,

I am just now trying out the Privateer Remake after the itch hit me to re-play some old games from my childhood (Privateer is a personal favorite of mine)

I hate to ask annoying questions, but I looked through the forums and couldn't find the answers I wanted.

I keep hearing about canonHUDs and Parallel Universe but can't seem to find a solid list on what exactly these mods are and what they add to the game. I'm wondering if I "need" them for a full experience or of I should just play the standard install.

Could someone please give me a brief rundown on what these mods are and how they change the game? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

Parallel Universe adds a lot of stuff to the game, mostly in terms of new ships and re-balanced weapon/ship statistics.

The canonHUDs downloads are a series of upgrades for PU which Dilloh started doing before the last time z30 (who initially created PU) disappeared from the boards.

PU also has some new campaigns on the drawing board, but I'm not sure how close they are to being implemented.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Hi silellak,

like Solon already said, PU at this time primarly adds a large number of ships to the game and rebalances some minor stuff. You'll probably not need it, still it adds a new experience without taking away anything from the game. If you want it, follow the link in my signature - all you need is PU1.1b6-DSE. Unrar it into your installation folder and run setup.bat afterwards.

The next update will come up with much new stuff. We surely have enough ships for now, so we've begun with:
- a total rebalance of the upgrade system (you can now have e.g. Level 5 reactors on Demons in exchange for loosing more upgrade space, but don't worry, the old combinations are still available), by Zool
- a new reasonable trade system, which will make standard trading (e.g. running food from Helen to Achilles) more profitable (experimental), by Melonhead
- a new, more realistic mass system (experimental), by Melonhead
- a new turret system, making capships a better challenge, by targ collective
- a new capship, by chuck starchaser
- some new textures, by Orthuberra
- at least 5 new campaigns with 40 missions in total, by me

@Solon
The campaigns are done so far, I'll add more to lock all PU ships into a storyline. I feel capable enough for trying to script the Militia Guild campaign and might point the one or other question about it to you, just to make sure it'll turn out to be like you and z30 wanted it, agree?
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

It gives me a fuzzy warm feeling to know I'll be immortalised in PU!

My turret pack is available as a separate download if you want to try it out (PU is a prerequisite). It also fixes a few bugs, so it's worth the look.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Targ Collective wrote:It gives me a fuzzy warm feeling to know I'll be immortalised in PU!
Me Too!!! :D
Targ Collective wrote:My turret pack is available as a separate download if you want to try it out (PU is a prerequisite). It also fixes a few bugs, so it's worth the look
Where?, Where?, gimmee, gimmee...................must check out precious turret fixes.........
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

@Dilloh: Sounds good. I remember there was a problem with my idea of having DraymanCVL's spawned at empty Nav Points following the first mission, but I don't recall what. Ring any bells?
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Ringring... we recently found out that some sort of trigger puts in the steltek base at Taryn4, so there theoretically is a way to produce stationary CVLs at a certain time at certain coordinates. But this'd be an awful lot of work if it was all over Gemini, I assume something like 80-100 spawns. The good thing: we could read out the XYZ coordinates from the system files. The bad thing: We need someone to make a list of all empty navs - if you can't reproduce them out of your mind, we'll need someone who patrols all systems in Gemini!
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Dilloh wrote:The bad thing: We need someone to make a list of all empty navs - if you can't reproduce them out of your mind, we'll need someone who patrols all systems in Gemini!
Why would you not just read them out of ".../sectors/Gemini/{sysname}" ?
Consider the entry for Delta_Prime:

Code: Select all

<system name="Delta_Prime" background="backgrounds/bluedazzle" . . .

### much snippage between the elipses ###

. . .
<planet name="Jump_To_Gamma" file="jump.png" alpha="ONE ONE" radius="256" gravity="0" x="0" y="0" day="240" destination="Gemini/Gamma"/>
<!-- mission adds base somewhere here -->
</system>
--> One total nav point, except when changed by the game objectives.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Sure... I'm just wondering what can be done faster
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

On point one, i'm the guy for you. I have been in every system of PR. I've taken missions in every system. I'm currently operating around New Caladonia.

Though on Point two i'm not as i have no clue about what has to be done.
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

@Dilloh: Like I said in the PU thread, I figure restricting their spawns to Nav Points that are ONLY Nav Points will cut down on the numbers. I'll get to work on a list of 'em tonight, if I'm not too tired after work.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

There's no need to hurry, Solon... I still have another number of campaigns to complete.

@Andy
All we need is a list of PR systems with nav points having nothing (no planets, no bases, no AFs, no jumppoints, like there's one in Troy), as well as the exact coordinates, but those can be figured out later, too.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Penders Star has a nav like that. As does Crab-12. Other's are: 17-AR and Palan.

I will get more for you. I'm as busy as a one armed paper hanger in a gale at the moment.
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

Dilloh wrote: @Andy
All we need is a list of PR systems with nav points having nothing (no planets, no bases, no AFs, no jumppoints, like there's one in Troy), as well as the exact coordinates, but those can be figured out later, too.
not sure if this helps at all... but i have pics of every system in the original privateer taken with dosbox awhile back... then highlighted all the asteroid fields/spawn points/pirate bases
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

That is what we need - could you post it as a rar/zip?

Thx in advance
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

Dilloh wrote:That is what we need - could you post it as a rar/zip?

Thx in advance
um... never posted a file here before but ill try...

if it works and you get the rar files... some guidelines

first, i manually flew to every system and tried to fly to and in between every nav point to find all details. im not saying this is 100% correct, but its gotta be pretty close. also, for single jump systems, nothing is known other than whats at the jump point... with no points of interest or obvious directions to fly twards it gets hard to do a search (always wondered if Mah'Rahn was where the 'secret kilrathi munitions dump' was... i mean.. the bartenters talk about it anyways...)

second, the color scheme goes like this: yellow patch = asteroid field, Red patch = 'hidden nav' (ships spawn there, but asteroid free), Red patch inside nav circle = pirate base

Third, the color scheme of the nav points is original. meaning that if a point is highlighted yellow, the details of it are on the screen. blue circles are jump points, sqares are bases ect... i tried to highlight the lesser known bases of systems in my pics, but it is not true in all cases...

i wrote all this down in the readme... but um... never hurts to have extra docs :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

with no points of interest or obvious directions to fly twards it gets hard to do a search
You only need to hit "n" to cycle through the nav points... there you can find the navs w/o jumps. Also, opening the map will show you more about AFs. Or just get yourself a Fireblade and cloak - you can also auto while encountering foes or flying through asteroids.
(always wondered if Mah'Rahn was where the 'secret kilrathi munitions dump' was... i mean.. the bartenters talk about it anyways...)
It exists, and your tip is quite near to it... :wink:
Third, the color scheme of the nav points is original. meaning that if a point is highlighted yellow, the details of it are on the screen. blue circles are jump points, sqares are bases ect... i tried to highlight the lesser known bases of systems in my pics, but it is not true in all cases...
I like the original map scheme - relatively easy to understand.

Thanks for the maps, that is quite detailled - the additional color scheme is easy to understand.
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

Dilloh wrote:You only need to hit "n" to cycle through the nav points... there you can find the navs w/o jumps. Also, opening the map will show you more about AFs. Or just get yourself a Fireblade and cloak - you can also auto while encountering foes or flying through asteroids.

It exists, and your tip is quite near to it... :wink:

I like the original map scheme - relatively easy to understand.
Ack... um... i feel as tho i may have been unclear... these are the ORIGINAL privateer maps... i um... still havent played PR or PU :oops:
i came to the VS world via PGG and i havent really played that one much either as i have been waiting with baited breath for the new release for quite some time... (same goes with VS actually)

lol... and i still dont know if that kilrathi munitions dump exists in the original game... if it DOES... dont tell me where... just tell me to find it.. ;)

and again... the highlighted areas away from nav points are spawn points
Dilloh wrote:Thanks for the maps, that is quite detailled - the additional color scheme is easy to understand.
i hope that they are still useful being as it is not from PR or PU... :oops: it shold still be a good reference as i couldnt find anything like it anywhere on the net... the higlighted areas may not be the EXACT edge of the fields, but its pretty darn close.. :D
lol... i made these maps for people who are sometimes easily confused and lacking in a reliable memory (pretty much just me) in order to know where to take those profitable cargo or patrol runs all the while keeping my pacifist rating...
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Ok, then Sunfire. You know what you have to do. Just play PR and get a feel of the game. You CAN'T play VS and mod PR with having played it. The two game are systems apart. VS systems too. In VS a system is MUCH larger than in PR.
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Ok, then Sunfire. You know what you have to do. Just play PR and get a feel of the game. You CAN'T play VS and mod PR with having played it. The two game are systems apart. VS systems too. In VS a system is MUCH larger than in PR.
eeep... um... lol let me back up a bit... in not TRYING to mod PR... i only recently made it back online... and even more recently made it into the PU and WCU forums... this file is merely meant as a reference and i didnt even know if it would be helpful in the first place...

dont worry... i WILL play the game... but from what ive seen in the forums... id rather wait til the next upgrade comes out... (the recent list delineated by dilloh springs to mind) the problems that ive seen in the forums seem to be many of the same ones that i had with the last release of PGG
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

these are the ORIGINAL privateer maps... i um... still havent played PR or PU
I know... and I understand that most people come in touch with GG or VS first. PR has not been reworked for some time, dev-wise.
lol... and i still dont know if that kilrathi munitions dump exists in the original game... if it DOES... dont tell me where... just tell me to find it..
I spent plenty of time in kilrathi space looking for the dump in the original game. If it existed, I didn't find it.
i hope that they are still useful being as it is not from PR or PU
Yeah thanks - I can extract the exact coordinates from the system files then.
dont worry... i WILL play the game... but from what ive seen in the forums... id rather wait til the next upgrade comes out... (the recent list delineated by dilloh springs to mind) the problems that ive seen in the forums seem to be many of the same ones that i had with the last release of PGG
Well, I'm afraid there will most likely be no new version of PR - but surely of PU! So keep an eye on possible announcements.
Sunfire
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Sunfire »

Dilloh wrote:I spent plenty of time in kilrathi space looking for the dump in the original game. If it existed, I didn't find it.
rats... one idea i had was to be friendly with the cats and search... thinking it might be 'uncloaked' then.. but again.. searching dead end systems was very time consuming...

...of course... now that i think about it... someone would have mined the pics of the interior of a kat base along with all the data long long ago from the original game files if it had existed...

so that points me back to the original thought that the bar rumor was about the steltek site after all...
Dilloh wrote: Well, I'm afraid there will most likely be no new version of PR - but surely of PU! So keep an eye on possible announcements.
is this like... forever? will there be an upgrade after the VS upgrade comes out?

and ok... back to the original topic of this thread... mainly because im pretty retarded sometimes and have trouble comprehending

let me get this straight...
1. PR was developed in the long long ago by the likes of John and Others...
2. Then John went off to do PGG...
3. after which PU sprung up then
4a. along comes PU 1.1b6 DSE and
4b. Targ's Changes to PU 1.1b6 - Turrets Pack Version 4

so um... is 4a compatable with 4b? or do i need PU 1.1b6 for 4b?
also... if i get PU 1.1b6 DSE do i need canonHUDs1.4fixed.rar? or is it included in DSE? and will 4a and 4b be merged into

5. PU 2.0?

sorry for being a bother and making you guys repeat things... but man... i have to get it all straight in my head
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

is this like... forever? will there be an upgrade after the VS upgrade comes out?
At least there is nobody coming back yet... While VS and GG technically advance more and more, PR will be left behind in that time.
so um... is 4a compatable with 4b? or do i need PU 1.1b6 for 4b?
Questions about the turret pack need to pointed to targ collective directly. Still, I'm pretty sure that all turret packs require DSE.
also... if i get PU 1.1b6 DSE do i need canonHUDs1.4fixed.rar? or is it included in DSE?
With DSE, you're up to date. The next thing you need to look out for is canonHUDs2.0, or maybe I'll give it a name which is more clear.
and will 4a and 4b be merged into

5. PU 2.0?
From my current state of view, I say yes, or at least major parts of it... though there are some elements like invincible bases which need to be discussed furthermore. But overall, AT turrets are a nice addition and especially make AI ships a better challenge.
sorry for being a bother and making you guys repeat things... but man... i have to get it all straight in my head
But why? You already did me a favor with those maps, so ask anything you want!
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

The Turret Pack is an independent development repository, working co-operatively with PU. Bear in mind that, while it does add to PU, fix bugs, gives you cool stuff etc. it is not PU, at least yet. Dilloh currently favours a simplified turret system over what I'm using (I think a bit too simplified); I've given the heavies double everything and haven't even tried to balance them, let alone give them to your foes; the pricings are all arbitrary values with heavies four times the cost and autos ten times the cost etc. It's raw, it's primitive, it's active. It's what the Vegastrike SVN would be if the Vegastrike Devs were to concentrate on content - etc, etc, etc...

All you need to know is in the thread, but for your convenience I will restate all that here for you.

1. You need PU DSE to use this (CanonHuds is optional, not sure if it's an update pack or extras pack, no harm installing it but if you do ensure it is prior to the pack).

2. Install the Turret Pack.

3. Enjoy rationalised cockpits, indestructible bases (at least, the bases the plot relies on), fixed turrets of the Drayman CVL, fixed mountpoints of the drayman CVL (sorry about the top gun, looks a bit sloppy, did my best), and of course the ubiquitous heavy and autotracking turrets with a special heavy turret pic thrown in at no extra charge.

Thanks for your interest, it gives me another reason to keep doing this. Remember this is an independent patch, it is not PU and I would not have the arrogance to assume it were just because I shared it with you all. Call it an independent refinement. :)

One last thing, loosen up a bit. Anyone's welcome here, and those who take the time to take an active interest aren't just anyone, you know! Even if you just had it lying around and thought it could be useful, you took the effort to get in touch. Stick around; play the remake. Tomorrow I mean to try and release yet another Turret Pack version which, among other things, will restore the old damage values the original Privateer used. Hope to see you then.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Sunfire. Sorry for the way i posted. I did not mean to sound angry or something like that.
Andy

P.S. I don't think that PR 1.3 will come out for a LONG time.