New Artwork

Forum For Privateer Remake
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

New Artwork

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Would it be possible to redo some of the base art as some looks as if it is straight out of the original game.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Of course it would be... if someone did it.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

I was not around then, but my understanding is that the original remake STRIVED to keep the artwork the same. Likely, it will not change until Chuck's modelling project to 3D bases (eventually) reaches them.

I believe that Chuck currently has scheduled completion for 2669, but he hopes to finish sooner.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Actually, I need to finish before 2632; when Privateer 0 begins... :D
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

The next Privateer Gemini Gold release has redone base artwork. I believe it is released under a Free Software license so can be reused, however you will have to wait for their next release (currently in beta testing).
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Actually, only the code is free 4 all. For the artwork, we'll have to get a list of authors and ask every single one of them.
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

I started the bonus campaign and found this character Syrai whose eyepatch looks like a poor photo circle and line blurred to the face. So I edited the file so her eyepatch looks a little more believable, and see a couple more new characters, one of whom Soren made me bust up laughing! :shock: He looks like he's wearing a cheap toupee. So I started a file which is just a cut'n'paste template of face, clothes, and hair from the game. I'll finish it later but here is a start for anyone who wants to make their own special fixers for PR, GG, or WCU. When I have more time I'll include 'blending templates' (just the pixels that shade between different clothing/face combos) and labels for them to make things easier. Comments about the idea will be welcome.

[Edit:] deleted pics here
Last edited by Orthuberra on Wed May 23, 2007 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Yeah some of the art is 'interesting'. While orther bit and pieces remind me of games i grew up with.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

The artwork ist surely interesting and yes, I can definetively make use of that!
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

New base art - Gaea

Before I get in over my head, I just started this tonight, and want to know if someone already is redoing the Gaea & Sanctuary moon artwork, if so then I guess there is no need for this, but here it is anyway. I do have a life and so I'd enjoy making use of my free time doing some some other model/art whatever.

Chuck are you reading this? :wink:

Don't worry I'll get around to that UV wrap on the movie rapier, pirate Centurion texture, and other promises I made (agh, I'm in over my head!)...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

R.e.: Making faces... Here's the faces you posted, scaled up 4 times with my "texturizer" software. (I'm using line detection and anisotropic filtering to get much higher quality scalings than you could get with bicubic interpolation in Gimp.)

If you have any other images that could use high quality scaling up's, post them and I'll do them.
BTW, you can scale them *down* in Gimp, using bicubic, if needed. Scaling down is okay; the hard part is scaling up.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Chuck, I'd like to know more about how you did that. I'm trying to "fix" the "fixers" for GG to a higher resolution but if you tell me how to up-sample such images, I'll make the results available to both groups.

For everyone, I was thinking today of how the game makes you fight unless you do a lot of extra work to be friends with everyone. So I decided to repaint my ship. I have never done any skins before, but 30 minutes later, I had this:
Privateers are, after all, just delivery boys. I kept the "shark mouth" intact even though the original "Planet Express" doesn't have it. At this point I just dropped the skin in, so all the centurions will look like this. But it should be easy to create a special instance of my ship so that only my ship shows this paint job. If you like what you see, you can get it here: http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... xpress.zip

Turbo

P.S. I don't know why, but I had to post this in IE6. :x Opera freezes when I tried to post, 3 times in a row.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Turbo wrote:Chuck, I'd like to know more about how you did that. I'm trying to "fix" the "fixers" for GG to a higher resolution but if you tell me how to up-sample such images,

I used software that I spent hundreds of hours writing. It's not "commercial", but it's not open source either; let's just say it's "private".
I'll make the results available to both groups.
Frankly, we can achieve those results for ourselves. What's in it for us?

I'll offer you a deal: Get us GG's 3D models and textures for the base interiors (NOT just the renders), and I'll consider giving you a copy of my program.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

chuck_starchaser wrote:What's in it for us?
You get time that you can spend on other things. I will make the results available to everyone.
chuck_starchaser wrote:I'll offer you a deal: Get us GG's 3D models and textures for the base interiors (NOT just the renders), and I'll consider giving you a copy of my program.
They aren't mine to give, except the ones I made. Those renders are on my web site. I made them for GG Version 1.02, and now that it is released, they are available for anyone's non-profit use. Though frankly, I found some of the original mission cargo designs to be pretty lame -- with current modeling technology and some imagination we can do a lot better.

If you are reluctant to give the software, and I can understand why you would be, all I really need are the up-scaled renders of the fixer animations, say 4x original size. Then I can assemble them in a game-ready format and put the package out there for both projects' use.

Turbo
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Turbo wrote:They aren't mine to give, except the ones I made. Those renders are on my web site. I made them for GG Version 1.02, and now that it is released, they are available for anyone's non-profit use. Though frankly, I found some of the original mission cargo designs to be pretty lame -- with current modeling technology and some imagination we can do a lot better.
I didn't mean to imply they were yours to give; I'm simply telling you what it would take for you to get what you want. We could use those 3D models of base interiors. They'd probably save us quite a bit of modelling time. If you want them to benefit from my programming work, you'll have to give us something from them that's of comparable value to us. How you go about it is your business.

And, btw, I clearly said "NOT just renders". I want the complete 3D models for all base interiors, and their associated textures, that were used to render the bases.
Blender format would be best, but .obj + .mtl would be acceptable.
If you are reluctant to give the software, and I can understand why you would be, all I really need are the up-scaled renders of the fixer animations, say 4x original size.
Sorry, but I think the deal I offered you was too generous to begin with, as we're already working on our own 3D bases.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8819 ... redms8.jpg

So, take it or leave it.
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

Original models, yes please. :)

Sorry, I haven't been here much lately, I have been making maps and stuff for Sauerbraten more recently, but shall return with more renders of my own eventually.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Orthuberra wrote:Original models, yes please. :)
Hey, Ortuberra! Nice to see ya.
Sorry, I haven't been here much lately, I have been making maps and stuff for Sauerbraten more recently, but shall return with more renders of my own eventually.
Can I quote you on that? :D

PU has moved, btw; check my siggy.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

chuck_starchaser wrote:I want the complete 3D models for all base interiors, and their associated textures, that were used to render the bases.

I think the deal I offered you was too generous to begin with, as we're already working on our own 3D bases.
Asking me for the models instead of the renders is equivalent to me asking for the source code. So, I suppose that concludes our business.

Don
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Turbo wrote:
chuck_starchaser wrote:I want the complete 3D models for all base interiors, and their associated textures, that were used to render the bases.

I think the deal I offered you was too generous to begin with, as we're already working on our own 3D bases.
Asking me for the models instead of the renders is equivalent to me asking for the source code. So, I suppose that concludes our business.
Don
LOL

I mean...

ROFL

I mean...

ROTFLMAO
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Turbo wrote:Asking me for the models instead of the renders is equivalent to me asking for the source code. So, I suppose that concludes our business.

Don
Here's what I don't get. You are creating the game so people can play and enjoy it - an extension of which is the continuation of the Wing Commander franchise. Obviously there is no commercial interest, otherwise you would a) be trying to sell it or merchandise around it and b) shut down by the people who own the IP to it.

So... you make it for people to play. Why keep everything closed? Why keep it all internal? It's for the fans, right? Surely the more access is given to the content (including the models that generate the content) the better the end result will be as people contribute more to the project. Surely it's not the individual project that counts but the sum of everybody's efforts. It's not like it would harm PGG - open development does not mean PGG would have poorer standards, you still choose what changes happen to PGG, you just have a bigger set of options for pooling content and contributions.

However that's not what you do. The fact that chuck has to offer a deal to get to the models speaks volumes of why there is friction in the first place. You guys have created an "us and them" atmosphere, which only harms the end goal - to get a good game out for people to play - and to be honest smacks of pettiness.

The irony is that if hellcat and the other PR devs took the same attitude that you do, PGG would not exist in the first place. You put yourselves up on a pedastel and push other willing contributors off of it just so you can say PGG is better than the rest.

Before you say it, chuck's program is a different kettle of fish. This is something that is his own IP, not somebody elses. WC belongs to nobody here and it's a rather sick attitude that some of the crius.net people take with a franchise that is not their own.

For the fans by the "better fans" eh? That's the way it comes across to somebody who observes from the sidelines, and to be honest it is not very impressive at all.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Be careful, Charlieg; someone in this board who doesn't even belong, somehow managed to get himself moderator status (don't ask me how), and has gained a reputation for deleting posts he doesn't like... :D

EDIT: And I had a nagging feeling, from the get go, that Turbo and him might be one and the same... ;-)
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I'll just add a point that, whilst implied, I didn't emphasise.

If you were more open about the whole development process you'd find people like chuck [I can't vouch for him but I'm speaking "in general" here] volunteering their efforts rather than you having to trade for them. The fact people are reluctant to give to PGG is a testimant to barrier that is the closed nature of PGG development. Why share with those who will not share? Especially when PGG is not just the fruits of your labour but can also be much attributed to the efforts of those you refuse to share with.

Also if somebody deletes these rather reasonable opinions, I will repost them until either I am banned or said persons has their moderation status revoked.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

And the funny thing is,

1) I intend to release my program as open source when it's ready; --it's not ready yet; I have a better algorithm in the works; --besides the fact that the interface is totally not ready; like I have to recompile each time I have a new file name to scale, LOL :D

2) We don't need GG's 3D models. Like I said, we're cooking our own, and they'll be far more accurate to the original; and more detailed. We'd probably have looked at them, out of curiosity, and nothing more. Maybe fill the recycling bin, empty it, defrag...

3) I offered him a deal in the hope it might auspice a new era of improved (at least civil) relations between us and GG. Like set at least a precedent of exchange, as opposed to theft (of artists specially) ... But whaddya know? Oh well... The deal is dead, now. Case closed.
Orthuberra
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Orthuberra »

It could of saved time however, to base new more detailed scenes from the old files instead of using the png as backgrounds to go by, unfortunate no deal can be made.

I am assuming, if these are the original models, then it would have probably been made in an old DOS version of 3DS, right? Lightwave was still on Commodore/Amiga, and 3D Studio was becoming a major 3d app on Windows/DOS at the time. This is just me trying to piece stuff together from the past and see if I can't get a hold of the originals myself. I don't even know why I am saying this here, its pretty much just babble. :roll:

Oh and as for quoting me, Chuck, you can. And as for Turbos comment that sharing render files is like sharing source code, this is an open source game. Sorry, Turbo, but what was that even supposed to mean? :?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Hahaha, we're not talking about models by Origin, here. The base interios were originally hand-painted. As a matter of fact, the perspectives are often wrong and inconsistent; --the biggest challenge in coming up with 3D models for the base interiors is to actually figure out how to misalign and deform objects so that they fit the original pictures.

No sense in trying to make sense of Turbo's last post. It's one of those things you just have to laugh. He's as good as dead, anyways; he won't be coming back here; --not under the same name, at least. :D