Game won't load. Please Help

Forum For Privateer Remake
Matrix
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Game won't load. Please Help

Post by Matrix »

I've downloaded pr 1.2 (189MB for windows) from http://wcuniverse.sourceforge.net/downloads.htm and the game won't load

I've installed and unstalled 2-3 times.

Here's what I get from event viewer:

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 76 65 67 ure veg
0018: 61 73 74 72 69 6b 65 2e astrike.
0020: 65 78 65 20 30 2e 34 2e exe 0.4.
0028: 33 2e 30 20 69 6e 20 75 3.0 in u
0030: 6e 6b 6e 6f 77 6e 20 30 nknown 0
0038: 2e 30 2e 30 2e 30 20 61 .0.0.0 a
0040: 74 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 t offset
0048: 20 30 30 30 30 30 30 30 0000000
0050: 30 0d 0a 0..

And here's what I've found from C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Privateer\bin

GOT SUBDIR ARG =
Found data in ..
Using C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Privateer as data directory
USING HOMEDIR : C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Privateer/.privateer100 As the home directory
CONFIGFILE - No config found in home : C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Privateer/.privateer100/vegastrike.config
CONFIGFILE - No home config file found, using datadir config file : C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Privateer/vegastrike.config
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Privateer/modules/builtin/",r"C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Privateer/modules/",r"C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Privateer/bases/"]
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path

And also another message in the same location.

See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for license details.

Using .privateer100 as the home directory
Found MODDIR = C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Privateer/mods
WARNING: no var named debug_config in section general using default: true
WARNING: no var named datadir in section data using default:
DATADIR - No datadir specified in config file, using ; C:\Program Files\Vegastrike\Privateer
WARNING: no var named sectors in section data using default: sectors
WARNING: no var named animations in section data using default: animations
WARNING: no var named sprites in section data using default: sprites
WARNING: no var named serialized_xml in section data using default: serialized_xml
WARNING: no var named sharedmeshes in section data using default: meshes
WARNING: no var named sharedunits in section data using default: units
SIMULATION_ATOM: 0.08
WARNING: no var named debug_fs in section general using default: 0
WARNING: no var named python_modules in section data using default: modules
WARNING: no var named python_bases in section data using default: bases
['.\\DLLs', '.\\lib', '.\\lib\\plat-win', '.\\lib\\lib-tk', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vegastrike\\Privateer\\bin']
['C:\\Program Files\\Vegastrike\\Privateer/modules/builtin/', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vegastrike\\Privateer/modules/', 'C:\\Program Files\\Vegastrike\\Privateer/bases/']
WARNING: no var named DopplerScale in section audio using default: 1
WARNING: no var named rgb_pixel_format in section graphics using default: 888
WARNING: no var named z_pixel_format in section graphics using default: 24

Please help if you've encountered this before or just give me some ideas. Thanks.
BTW my system is a laptop P4 w/ a ATI fire gl 9000 video card. 64MB dedicated video memory.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Is that the whole output of both files (They are probably called stderr.txt and stdout.txt)?

What you pasted did not have enough information. You are going to want to look at a few things.

First, have you tried changing sound, music and graphics settings in the Setup program?

Turn sound, music off, and set the graphics to 640x480 Windowed 16-bit and lowest graphics settings.

If that works, then one by one turn music on, then sound on, then try full screen, until it stops working any more.

If it still does not work with the sound off, it's probably related to graphics drivers.

If it works with sound off but breaks when you turn it on, it could be your sound card causing the problem.
In that case, I think XP might need the OpenAL installer program... you could try installing that and see if it helps.
Matrix
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Matrix »

Yes that was everything from the stderr.txt and stdout.txt files

I've turned sound off and turned all graphics to the lowest level possible. Put it in windows mode aswell and it still won't load. I'm using windows XP sp2. I use Omega drivers for the video card and they're up to date. This gives me directX 9c.

I hope they're not the Omega drivers b/c w/o them I couldn't play any dx9 required games. Thanks for the tips and please keep them coming.
targ collective
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by targ collective »

I've never even heard of Omega, so I wouldn't keep your hopes up too far on this.

However, you could try downloading the Vegastrike SVN and seeing if that works (though you may need a manifest file and the .net framework installed to run it). It's the same engine, and if the SVN also fails we'll know that this is a global problem, ie probably down to something very new, ie likely down to a new driver.

If it does work then that is very good news, as the devteam can simply merge the driver handling between the two versions of the EXE, which should fix matters if it is a driver problem.

In the worst case of it being a driver problem, you have several alternatives, none of them an instant or easy fix.

You could purchase an older graphics card and rotate the two in your box for PR, or install it as a secondary card if your motherboard is able to do this, which you can enable/disable via the Bios. (Don't forget to switch the monitor to the right card).

You could purchase an entire older machine, or if still owned your last rig, on which things should work.

Finally you could wait for the devteam to fix this, as I'm certain they will as soon as they can. You could be waiting a while on this last one, though.

Whatever you do, it will work eventually. It will just take time.
Matrix
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Matrix »

I uninstalled PR and d/l Vega Strike 0.4.3 Win from http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/ and still won't load. Regarding the manifest file and the .net framework are these on the sourceforge site?

I only own a 3yr old laptop and the video card isn't removeable but I appreciate your help. Thanks again.

For future reference the driver installed is rad_w2kxp_omega_38252.
That is the most current one that is supported for my card. Omega has newer ones but only for radeon 9700-up.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

He meant that you should try out the in-development version of Vega Strike using these instructions:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... rtoise_SVN

Unfortunately, there is a small chance that that will make it work, as graphics changes have not been that drastic.

Hmm... when it crashed, did it display any window on the screen? Had it gotten to show a frame of the splashscreen yet?

The part you pasted in the output is almost exactly the point at which the Vega Strike graphics window appears with a splash screen, so it is very likely related to the OpenGL support of your drivers.

Unfortunately I can't say anything beyond that. You might have to do some reasearch, or maybe try the non-omega drivers (though as you said that would break all your other games)?
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

What Operating System is he running? VS and PR should not run on Vista. Atleast i think.