Something special... maybe

Forum For Privateer Remake

How many of you have .Net Framework installed?

I have it.
40%
I have it.
40%
I don't have it, but I can get it.
No votes
I don't have it, but I can get it.
No votes
I don't want it, but I can get it if it's useful.
10%
I don't want it, but I can get it if it's useful.
10%
It's a curse to all of humanity!
No votes
It's a curse to all of humanity!
No votes

Total votes: 20

Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Something special... maybe

Post by Draken Stark »

EDIT: The last option is for those who can't run .Net Framework or actually don't like it. I know what it says, just click it if that's the case. :P

This poll is to find out about who CAN use an application that I might create to mod PR with ease (Automatically modifies CSV files ect.) and to find out if such an attept wouldn't be a waste of time.

Note: This project probably wont be worked on until the modding site for PR is up in it's basic form at least.

//Original Message:

I'm thinking of cooking up a surprise for everyone... a really cool tool I've just resently realised I could make... although there's a slight problem. It will require .Net Framework which is made my microsoft, since what I'm making is with C# Visual Studio *gasp* 2003. 2005 is the latest version (I have it), but 2003 what my class is using to learn about object oriented programming.

Anyhow... what I'm getting at is... How many of you already have or can have .Net Framework?
Last edited by Draken Stark on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

I had to download .net from a third party server since Microsoft home page desparately wanted to check the validity of my computer's OS. But yeah, I have it.

That doesn't change the fact that it's a curse of humanity. In a way that I doubt it'll work on Linux. I'm not sure about the power of Wine, though.
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I have it. Had to download it to install the latest BC foundation. I'm not too familiar with newer basic versions, and I really don't know what it is used for - and why it doesn't come with XP while there is still storage capacity on the install CD.

Never needed it for anything else though -- at least I think so?
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

.Net Framework allows software development via Visual Studio. The Framework is really a library of functions that the .exe file, generated by Visual Studio, uses. For instance to pop up a window on screen to give an error it would be the MessageBox.Show(); function which is in the Framework. It's pretty much to save programmers tons of time when making applications when coding by hand. I hope that makes sense. >.<

Here's a more reasonable example with poping up a very simple message:

Without .Net Framework shortcuts:
using System;
using System.Windows.Forms;

public class frmMain : Form
{
private System.Windows.Forms.Label label1;
private System.Windows.Forms.Button button1;

public static void Main()
{
frmMain main = new frmMain();

Application.Run(main);
}

public frmMain()
{
InitializeComponent();

//This is where I put in a message to display
string customMessage = "I'm a little tea pot...";
label1.Text = customMessage;

}

private void InitializeComponent()
{
System.Resources.ResourceManager resources = new System.Resources.ResourceManager(typeof(frmMain));
this.button1 = new System.Windows.Forms.Button();
this.label1 = new System.Windows.Forms.Label();
this.SuspendLayout();
//
// button1
//
this.button1.Location = new System.Drawing.Point(112, 80);
this.button1.Name = "button1";
this.button1.TabIndex = 0;
this.button1.Text = "OK";
this.button1.Click += new System.EventHandler(this.button1_Click);
//
// label1
//
this.label1.Font = new System.Drawing.Font("Arial", 9F, System.Drawing.FontStyle.Regular, System.Drawing.GraphicsUnit.Point, ((System.Byte)(0)));
this.label1.Location = new System.Drawing.Point(40, 16);
this.label1.Name = "label1";
this.label1.Size = new System.Drawing.Size(216, 48 );
this.label1.TabIndex = 1;
//
// frmMain
//
this.AutoScaleBaseSize = new System.Drawing.Size(5, 13);
this.ClientSize = new System.Drawing.Size(292, 108 );
this.Controls.Add(this.label1);
this.Controls.Add(this.button1);
this.FormBorderStyle = System.Windows.Forms.FormBorderStyle.FixedSingle;
this.Icon = ((System.Drawing.Icon)(resources.GetObject("$this.Icon")));
this.MaximizeBox = false;
this.MinimizeBox = false;
this.Name = "frmMain";
this.StartPosition = System.Windows.Forms.FormStartPosition.CenterScreen;
this.Text = "My brief example of a simple MessageBox";
this.ResumeLayout(false);

}

private void button1_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
{
Close();
}

}

With shortcuts:
MessageBox.Show("I'm a little tea pot...", "Titlebar Text");

8) Not to make it any worse... or fry any brains or anything >.< the MessageBox.Show() can also display any alert images built into windows. My basic MessageBox doesn't cover a quarter as much as as that single line can. >.<
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

I do not like your poll.

There is no option for "It does not run on my machine" without simultaneously making a judgement upon the quality of software that I have never tested.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

lol sorry about that. That's my kind of humor... Well it's too late now anyway, <.< unless there's a way to remake the poll without starting a new thread.

EDIT: There we go I edited my first post so maybe new people to the thread would see that. To make up for it I've released my idea on what I was going to do with it. Hope that works >.<
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

It depends who your audience is going to be... If it's a program that should be used by a lot of people who play VS, then you will want compatibility by not requiring DotNet.

If you are making this program for a select group of people (only modders, for example), then you might as well use what you are comfortable with.

Really, use whatever you need to use to get the job done... if DotNet does it best, then use it... if a command-line program is all you need, then make it simple.

Also, you might want to take a look at some of the other CSV editors that people have released in the forums over the past few months if you haven't already.

About cross-platform-ness, Mono is supposed to be pretty good at running DotNet programs under Linux at least, and possibly under MacOSX. I have never tried Mono, but it is supposed to be good.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

What is That??? :oops:
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Draken, might you be working on an installer? :wink:
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Don't make something that is Windows-only. PR runs on Linux too y'know.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

First of all... I haven't even really started with creating the program, this is just to see if it wont be a waste of time. All my program can do as of now this second is see the first item on all lines in the units.csv file at the press of a button. I'm working on it.

ok here's my problems with making this cross-platform compatible:

1. I don't have any machine other than windoze. I do have some Virtual machines with linux on them, but I personally am not comfortable with the OS, if someone else wants to make a clone of this for that system than be my guest.

2. Go get a .Net clone for linux/mac!

3. I don't know how to program something like this for anything other than php (server side btw and you have to have boat load of crap installed to get it working for just a single machine.), perl (ditto), and C#(ding ding ding). I could write something that works NOW in about a week maybe at best, or I could spend a year to learn another language then start developing for another month or two.

No! I'm sorry, if I could I would, but I can't. All I can say is go find a clone for .Net for your OS as I only know one language right now that can get the job done fast. If and when I put this out once it works, you can be my guest to seriously recreate it for any other OS. I dont even know if someone already made something like this, I'm just building it so that I can modify all the csv files at once and add new weapons, ships, ect. easily and get some coding practice. If anyone wants to start a flame war, go start one in another thread please and complain there. This is to see if I should even start, and I have - very basically though, but yea. It's possible and usable and that's all that matters. I'm sorry for the inconvience, but there's nothing I can do about it as of now.