Help with Ship Modeling

Forum For Privateer Remake
kalivoda
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Help with Ship Modeling

Post by kalivoda »

Hi everyone. I am a rank amature at this but for fun I decided to make my own ship. because I suck at this I haven't learned to use blender. so I built my model in Gmax and exported as md3 then used Quick 3d professional to convert to a .cob file and imported that into blender and exported as an .obj...I know it would have been eaiser to learn blender but I am impatient. so anyway heres my problem

1. i converted the .obj file to bfxm but it doesn't work in game. although I have had other models (much more basic ones) work so I'm not sure what the problem is.

2. I have no idea hoe to UV map or apply texture maps is there an easy way to do this?

just for kicks I attached a pic of the model[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Nice ship.

As i'm trying to learn Blender myself i have no clue of what to do but i can pass you on to someone who probably can.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Concerning "it doesn't work ingame", what's the error? Is the ship invisible? Consider posting the bfxm and stderr/stdout so I can take my try implementing it?

Concerning texturing, you most likely should post your question towards chuck_starchaser, he models quite a lot and might point you towards the tools which are used best, among with some tips to use it.
kalivoda
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by kalivoda »

[quote="Dilloh"]Concerning "it doesn't work ingame", what's the error? Is the ship invisible? Consider posting the bfxm and stderr/stdout so I can take my try implementing it?

ok so I swaped my bfxm in for the demon.bfxm file to test it, and when I start PR the splash screen comes up and the game crashes when it tries to load the demon. also the bfxm file is too big to post here its like 3.7MB! could that be the problem?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Possibly - Is there a way to reduce size/compress? Maybe the model has way too many polys.

Also, the stderr/stdout would help the one or other guy around understanding what went wrong.
Kangaroo
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Kangaroo »

Looks like the spiral there is a poly killer. Could it be an invalid export? And how much polies does Blender register?

I can teach you how to apply texture maps, but UV mapping will be tough to explain. See http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo:Unwrap
There's enough information for start, after you have read the things you need to avoid, see the tutorial on advanced LCSM unwrapping in Blender. The terminology is a bit outdated there, if you're using 2.42 or 2.43, though.
There are no stupid people on Earth; they are only alternatively thinking.