So how do you fly so well? & why is the Demon so great?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Gavinfoxx
Merchant
Merchant

So how do you fly so well? & why is the Demon so great?

Post by Gavinfoxx »

So, for kicks, I cheated and gave myself a demon and the money to fully upgrade it, which I did, just to see what all the fuss is about. And.. I'm underwhelmed. When multiple ships attack me, its very difficult for me to evade their fire, and the ship can't stand much punishment! I am playing on hard. Am I just not good at this? Do most people play on hard? How exactly do you guys apparently get so good at this? Is there a trick to evading fire and stuff? Cause I always liked the heavier fighters that could take punishment in the wing commander games, since I was able to aim shots and ignore fire, as long as I got kills quick enough, everything was alright...
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Well i had the same problem when i changed from Heavy fighters to light fighters.

It is a totally different fighting style. A light fighters style is more hit and run.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I am beginning to wonder if you use a Joystick, Gavinfoxx
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:It is a totally different fighting style. A light fighters style is more hit and run.
If you don't disengage between each kill, your shields never have time to recover. This is why *I* consider my shield recovery time as much more important than how tall those shields are.

Against a swarm of dralthi, I fly out of the pack; then turn & begin my first pass. With each "pass", I want to kill 1 fighter -- usually NOT the nearest one, but one that is off to the side in some direction. I will start my pass toward the far side of the pack from my target, to better separate it from the herd. I never go straight for any longer than necessary once I am within missile range. When my target is as far out of formation as I can get it, I jink & go for a fast kill. Then, run again. (Remember, keep dodging until out of missile range.)

If I got my kill, everything is just a bit easier on the next pass. If I fail to get my kill before the rest of the pack can react, then I still must run. My tough luck, this one will have its shields back by the time I can get it out of position again. So, I orbit the pack at long range while my shields cool & I pick my next target. If the pack is especially large, I will end up toasting a lot of enemy armour before I get my first kill.

It also takes a while to learn the best orbit distance. If you are too close, you will still need to deal with incoming missiles. If too far, they all point straight at you & the pack gets tighter.

SO -- as you can see -- this is an entirely different approach as, say, flying a Galaxy into the same pack.

[Edit: for the record, I also use mouse control. But I have assigned my 5 buttons usefully.]
Last edited by Shissui on Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

You really want to break their formation.

I fly straight through the formation (but not fly 'straight') to break it then go for one that has left the group.

While the foe is in formation he is generally to strong to fight. But once formation is broken then it becomes eaiser.
Gavinfoxx
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Gavinfoxx »

I use a mouse... I dont want to have to buy a joystick to play this game...
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

When using a mouse, you might be able to target with more accuracy, but also use a light fighters' main advantage, that is turning like crazy.

Keyboard is more crap, since you cannot e.g. turn and afterburn together.

Consider buying a Joystick, I got my used Wingman Light @ eBay in 2003 for 5 Euro with shipping and it still works fine.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

I suck with the joystick. Fly best with mouse. you can get better accurecy to (I think).