Notepad (2) vs. Wordpad

Forum For Privateer Remake
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Notepad (2) vs. Wordpad

Post by Draken Stark »

Anyway, you're a double-agent by telling users in the GG forum to hack their savegames with notepad... this only works with wordpad mate :lol: I know this was not your intention, but maybe it happened deep in your mind to do sabotage on the GG users, so you still have your roots here, Draken! :twisted:
lol well to say one thing off topic on this... I think both forums should be part of the same community as the projects are similar.

However... when it comes to notepad vs. wordpad... here comes a flame war:

Notepad has a default save file format as .txt which happens to be similar to the .csv files aside from the extension.

Looking at Wordpad, this is a rich text editor. Which means if the user is a noobie they might think it's a good idea to add some formatting to the code in a .csv file >.< bbbbbaaaaadddd!!!!!

Also .rtf file formats are the only thing that wordpad has that notepad doesn't. Personally I don't like either. I use Notepad 2 cause it adds some color coding without saving the file as an .rtf file by default and also some other really really nice coding development options. I highly suggest taking a look at Notepad 2 before saying that an obsolete program (MSword comes to mind) is better.

check it out here: http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

last thing to add... when it comes to coding, it's best to use an editor that can't add extra code to a file behind your back! Create a file with wordpad that uses anything... as simple as font size, and open it with notepad. You would see what you won't in wordpad. The most basic thing can be the best when it comes to editing code.
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Okay, but savegames are not csv at all... and I once tried to hack them with notepad1 --> kaboom!
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

save games are still files using plain text mostly. When it comes to hacking code.. remember that one mistake could ruin a perfectionist language.

"It must be user error." - ThinkGeek.com lol
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I have only 1 comment on this:
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

Once you use that, you'll not go back to either of the MS *pads.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

This reminds me of a forum thread called "Notepad vs. Lightwave"... kind of amusing.
http://www.newtek.com/discus/messages/2 ... 1124469523

Anyway, notepad has just about no features. Wordpad is worse than notepad for text editing in every way, making it really bad too.

Notepad will sometimes strip out line breaks in the wrong places... but it for the most porta leaves the format alone.

Wordpad will just go ahead and reformat every line in the file and give an annoying message about "text format" every time you save it. Just don't use wordpad at all.

I would suggest just about anything over either of those two.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Yeah, I know that there are great tools out there, but since I have WordPad for Savegames, Notepad for python and csveditor2 for csv-files, I don't feel too motivated to search myself a new text editor... also thanks to my dial-up-connection. I just wanted to say, if you ONLY use XP with no other add-on software, you'd best use WordPad for hacking savegames.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Is there nobody else who still uses "vi" or "emacs" ??

They may be old editors, but both are bulletproof.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

lol This thread was mostly to be between me and Dilloh.. I didn't expect to get this much attention. I was just wanting to show him the editor that I use for making the upcoming website. I think it'll help with moderating as well.

I just use notepad 2 for everything >.< but I do know there are different things for different tasks that are more comfortable than others for people.

Dilloh would you at least mind checking it out for future use with html editing?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Of course not... I didn't know that this baby had special skills concerning web design (not only multiple file format capabilities). If I ever get interfered in HTMLling the PU site again, I'll give it a try.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Hey Dilloh,

Have you taken a look at the site with notepad2 yet? What do you think?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I've taken a look at it, not detailled though, I usually find errors even in notepad fast enough for me.

It surely has its advantages, still I lost it some weeks ago when the whole box needed to be formatted spontaneously... luckily I had everything PU-related on another partition.
forlarren
Merchant
Merchant

Post by forlarren »

I am learning Vi well actually vim. I tried emacs once, it was a great operating system but needed a decent text editor. :twisted:
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

notepad uses DOS style line breaks. End of story. Edit in anything you want, as long as it doesn't use DOS style line breaks.

and to add to the flame war, any text editor you have to "Learn" how to use isn't worth editing in and suffers from poor UI design.