Toggle afterburner and mouse control

Forum For Privateer Remake
huzelbub
Trader
Trader

Toggle afterburner and mouse control

Post by huzelbub »

Is there any way to toggle afterburners on? It's really annoying on long cargo runs to sit on the key while waiting to get near the jumps. Now (and back then...) I just put heavy things on my keyboard, but they tend to fly around when I try to get them off fast enough...
I had a look at vegastrike.config but couldn't find anything appropriate. I activated the Shelton key, but you also have to keep it depressed to work.

Same thing with mouse control. I fight with the mouse but navigate over long distances with keyboard. It's too difficult to "hold still" as the mouse keeps dragging in some direction, so I would be happy about a key to enable/disable mouse control. Or is there a way to change mouse behavior, as to enlarge the non-responding field in the center and slightly increase the sensibility when moving out of it?

Btw: Thanks for this great remake!
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Re: Toggle afterburner and mouse control

Post by Shissui »

huzelbub wrote:It's really annoying on long cargo runs to sit on the key while waiting to get near the jumps.
Privateer & VegaStrike both use the "a" key to engage faster travel.

In Privateer, you must get 10km from all hostile ships (including ejected pilots) before the "auto" light comes on. At that point, you can use "a" (autopilot) to quickly jump forward to the vicinity of next object that you hit going toward whatever you currently have targeted in your HUD.
I activated the Shelton key, but you also have to keep it depressed to work.
The shelton key allows you to face in a direction other than your direction of motion. This is intended to allow you to keep firing without changing your line of travel -- as when you wish to fire on the side of a ship as you pass by.

A complete list of the default key bindings is in the back of the manual.
I want to live in Theory. Everything works in Theory.
huzelbub
Trader
Trader

Post by huzelbub »

Sorry, you missed me completely on that one. Of course I know how to engage autopilot (would be somewhat boring without it indeed :P ) but it turns off 15-20km away from the target. In a slow merchant's vessel it takes at least a minute or two without afterburner to get finally there. I hoped the shelton key did not need to be pressed the whole time since then it would maintain my high velocity, reached by firing the afterburner first, without holding a key (which is the whole point of it).
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

You automatically drop out of spec about 15000-20000 clicks from your destination. If there's no foe in radar range, you can now hit "a" again and you'll be about 5000 clicks from your destination.

Afterburners need to be hacked per ship, either in units.csv for all ships or in .privateer100/serialized.xml/YourSavegameFolder only for your ships. Backup and open the file of your choice with a spreadsheet editor, preferably csveditor2 by GAlex, search the line afterburner_governor and increase the maximum speed to a speed of your choice. Save afterwards.
M@ni@c
Explorer
Explorer

Post by M@ni@c »

Dilloh wrote:You automatically drop out of spec about 15000-20000 clicks from your destination. If there's no foe in radar range, you can now hit "a" again and you'll be about 5000 clicks from your destination.
Hmm, are you sure? When I press "a" again within 15000-20000 clicks, the autopilot graphic shows, but I don't teleport closer to my target.
huzelbub
Trader
Trader

Post by huzelbub »

I tried hitting autopilot a second (and third...) time, too but this did not bring me to 5000, rather 13000 or so. I had the impression that it would be equal to flying with max. combat speed to the target in the same time, beeing less effective than to burn. It's the same with jump points, planets, smaller ships etc.
I don't like hacking the afterburner cause it would affect combat (and my likeliness to run away...)

How do you approach planets and such? Just letting go and fetch something to drink, or am I the only one whose autopilot doesn't work as intended?

EDIT (damn, I'm slow...):
M@ni@c wrote:Hmm, are you sure? When I press "a" again within 15000-20000 clicks, the autopilot graphic shows, but I don't teleport closer to my target.
This is what I get, too.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

M@ni@c wrote:Hmm, are you sure? When I press "a" again within 15000-20000 clicks, the autopilot graphic shows, but I don't teleport closer to my target.
He's right, the autopilot drops me between 12000 and 20000 clicks from any destination. If the [AUTO] light comes back on, or not , pressing [A] again shows the autopilot cut scene but you might only get 1000 clicks closer so it's actually quicker to fly towards your destination yourself.

Dilloh, just a note to the 8 chr name thing on the orions, the orionmk2, orionmk2h and orionmk2b, the only unique character is the 9th ,(last), one. That's why I think this may be part of the problem, maybe the program does not see it because it's after the 8th character. BTW this is just a wild guess as I have no programming knowledge, just a hunch based on something previously said. :)
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

The 2nd autopilot depends on the ship you fly... If you have a slow merchant ship, you'll end up much closer to the jumppoint. Try it in a paradigm and you'll see.
Dilloh, just a note to the 8 chr name thing on the orions, the orionmk2, orionmk2h and orionmk2b, the only unique character is the 9th ,(last), one. That's why I think this may be part of the problem, maybe the program does not see it because it's after the 8th character. BTW this is just a wild guess as I have no programming knowledge, just a hunch based on something previously said.
I also have no prog knowledge and the 8char theory was mine - as I said, it is implemented concerning bfxm files and folders. But talking of names you might also be right - this could also be a reason why their HUDs won't load in the shipdealer. Thanks for the guess, I'll try it out.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

@ Dilloh

Mate, I think we're on to something here by changing the ship names. I did this yesterday, I changed the orionMk2b to orionMk3 and the orionMk2h to orionMk4 so that they both only have 8 chrs each and are unique.

First I used windows search to list all "orion*" entries in the my privateer game folder and changed orion filenames as above, then, I changed the entries in the units .csv, the master_part_list.csv and I found a mention of both ships in the ..../modules/faction_ships.py file.

I played for a couple of hours and only spotted one orionMk4 (the old Mk2h) and this was the one that was usually invisible, and it wasn't. A good start eh?? :)
Dilloh wrote:this could also be a reason why their HUDs won't load in the shipdealer
I checked this too, and sadly their respective hud's did not come up at the shipdealer. :?

Edit:
After playing for a couple of hours today I have seen several orions, a couple of orionMk2's and one orionMk3. All were visible "in space" and on the targeting VDU. So far so good!! :D Typically enough the game is not spawning very many of them so it's still in the theory stage but looking good.

@Everyone:
BTW, I have found a very good text editor. It's called ConTEXT and can edit many different types of "text" files (including csv, xml and py) without causing any errors. Go to http://www.context.cx :wink:
Last edited by Zool on Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
Starship_Gunner
Explorer
Explorer

ship speed hacks

Post by Starship_Gunner »

If want a fast ship to make the Kessel run faster than the millenium falcon, heres the fields you want to tweak in <yourship>.csv file:

Afterburner_Accel
Afterburner_Speed_Governor
Bottom_Accel
Forward_Accel
Left_Accel
Right_Accel
Retro_Accel
Top_Accel

Result: objects in the rear view mirror disappear faster than they seem.
Note: Ship mass and cargo affect velocities. This tweaking will up the gforce stats in the info screen to fatal to human levels. (who cares) Just take care to balance the data or your ship would slide all over the place. If you repair you ship in the shipyard it reverts to default settings of all parts.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Zool wrote:@Everyone:
BTW, I have found a very good text editor. It's called ConTEXT and can edit many different types of "text" files (including csv, xml and py) without causing any errors.
*sigh*
What ever became of "vi" and "emacs" ?

With both, any change you make is exactly what you get.
No more, no less.
Last edited by Shissui on Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Zool wrote:units .csv, the master_part_list.csv and I found a mention of both ships in the ..../modules/faction_ships.py file.
Yeah, those are all files relevant for the ships; for those available in RF only we'll go from unitsRF.csv, but there are none yet in Parallel Universe
Zool wrote:I played for a couple of hours and only spotted one orionMk4 (the old Mk2h) and this was the one that was usually invisible, and it wasn't. A good start eh??
Yes, but that needs further testings. I also had many mk2hs until I saw the first one.
Zool wrote:Typically enough the game is not spawning very many of them so it's still in the theory stage but looking good.
You mentioned faction_ships.py. Go to the flightgroups and replace all ships in all factions with the mk4, and every KI will fly an mk4. No need to search for hours.

Code: Select all

fighters = (("stiletto","ferret","ferret","gladius","sabre","broadsword",), #confed
            ("sartha","sartha","sartha","dralthi","dralthi","grikath","gothri",), #kilrathi
            ("steltek_fighter",), #nephilim
            ("tarsus","tarsus","tarsusMk2","tarsusMk2","galaxyhk","galaxy","orion","orionMk2",), #merchant
            ("talon","talon","krant","sparrowhawk"), #retro
            ("talon","talon","talon","talon","talon","sparrowhawk"), #pirates
            ("demon","demon","fireblade","orionMk2b","orionMk2h","centurion","galaxygs"), #hunter
            ("talon","talon","sparrowhawk","scimitar","gladius","hornet","hornet","kukhri","raptor",), #militia
Zool wrote:
Dilloh wrote:this could also be a reason why their HUDs won't load in the shipdealer
I checked this too, and sadly their respective hud's did not come up at the shipdealer.
Never mind. I have theories refering to the key entry concerning that. :wink:
Zool wrote:I changed the orionMk2b to orionMk3 and the orionMk2h to orionMk4 so that they both only have 8 chrs each and are unique.
Okay, but I'd like to have other names for those... mk1,2,3,4 sounds somewhat boring. Let's stick to the star accumulations, I'd propose Volans ("flying fish"), Sagitta ("gunman"), Corona ("crown"), Ursa ("bear"), LeoMajor ("big lyon"), Hercules, Draco ("dragon") and Cygnus ("swan", for a beautifuly ship). More here. And yes, I have a romantic vein, but I hope to get a bypass some day 8)

Thanks to Zool for taking care of that. I'm currently quite frustrated with my first steps in campaign scripting, your help gives me the air to breathe to focus on that. When you're done, you can send the relevant files to me and they'll be incooped into the next release - along with a credit of course!
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

After more playing last night I ran across seven orionmk3's and three mk4's, and NO INVISIBLES!!! :D :D :D so I think I might have it sorted.....WOOOOOHOOOOO!!! 8)

I'll try what you suggested, Dilloh, and replace faction ships with them just to be sure as a final test.

I think I'll go with Sagitta for the Mk2, Draco for the Mk3 (Mk2h) and Ursa for the Mk4 (Mk2b) if thats ok with you.

One curious thing, you mention a units RF.csv but there isn't one, at least not in my PR folder. Is this the file called ....units/units180.csv??? :?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

After more playing last night I ran across seven orionmk3's and three mk4's, and NO INVISIBLES!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy so I think I might have it sorted.....WOOOOOHOOOOO!!! Cool
That's cool! Finally, PU will be more playable than ever.
I'll try what you suggested, Dilloh, and replace faction ships with them just to be sure as a final test.
That's good... As I said, post or pm the changed units.csv when you're done, along with the version information.
I think I'll go with Sagitta for the Mk2, Draco for the Mk3 (Mk2h) and Ursa for the Mk4 (Mk2b) if thats ok with you.
I don't know, I have slept over it, maybe the mk names are indeed okay, so that newbies will know what the better ship is and what not.
One curious thing, you mention a units RF.csv but there isn't one, at least not in my PR folder. Is this the file called ....units/units180.csv??? Confused
Ah yes, you're right, I didn't look up the correct name.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Thanks Dilloh, I finally feel like I've done something useful for the PR community!! 8)
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Andromeda is my nickname and the name of many of my ships in other games so name a large, heavy, lots of turrets ship Andromeda (Galaxy Battle Ship :twisted: )
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Hey, there's much more to do!

I could use someone for the rebalance of the Boosted Steltek Gun. If you'd like to do it, here it was I thought of:

Fire delay x4
Damage x4
Energy usage x4
Price -100.000.000$
huzelbub
Trader
Trader

Post by huzelbub »

Yeah, sorry to interrupt you on this one :P
Dilloh wrote:The 2nd autopilot depends on the ship you fly... If you have a slow merchant ship, you'll end up much closer to the jumppoint. Try it in a paradigm and you'll see.
I'm currently flying a galaxy (300kps without AB) which is slow enough in my opinion, and somewhat more merchant than a paradigm... Is this second autopilot a funny behavior of the engine or something I can enable for the galaxy, too, somewhere?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Nothing which can be enabled or disabled... try the following. Auto to a jump point or a base. You'll drop out of spec at 15000-20000 clicks. Now hit a several times. You should end up much nearer, of course only when no foe or asteroid is around.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Dilloh wrote:I could use someone for the rebalance of the Boosted Steltek Gun. If you'd like to do it, here it was I thought of:

Fire delay x4
Damage x4
Energy usage x4
There is a problem with this.

Suppose I have this gun (& no other) mounted on my Demon. I hit the "fire" button & it draws down 7600MJ. This draws down against my main capacitor (10,000MJ), less shield power & ECM3. I have not figured out the exact preload for the shields & ECM3, but my gun may fail to fire.

I do not think that it was your intention to make it impossible to complete the game in a light fighter. Perhaps x2 or x3 would be better.
huzelbub
Trader
Trader

Post by huzelbub »

Dilloh wrote:Nothing which can be enabled or disabled... try the following. Auto to a jump point or a base. You'll drop out of spec at 15000-20000 clicks. Now hit a several times. You should end up much nearer, of course only when no foe or asteroid is around.
I kept hitting a like a maniac which caused longer autopilot scenes but it was like flying with max. combat speed for the same time.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

@huzelbub
I really don't know what else to do, I wish I could show it to you, but I swear it works on my machine. Maybe a bad radar might help, note that this is my last suggestion and a wild guess.

@Shissui
You're right, not my intention. Still, the drone mission is considered way too easy by most players. Considering that you get the gun, meet Goodin, then meet Terell and proceed to destroy the drone, it wouldn't be much time to spend with a gun sucking your reactor down. This time could be limited to boosted steltek only, which you acquire when you meet the Steltek scout. It would be also no problem to implement a reverse script making the boosted steltek gun a normal one again, as the steltek scout states.
The intention is the following: The steltek gun seems to fit perfect on any ship or weapon constellation, though it is an alien artifact far beyond the human technology. That doesn't seem logical. The gun should be a piece of ultimate force, but not a device you put on your ships without an adequate disadvantage. That would be the high energy usage possibly forcing you to shut down other systems, the lower range forcing you to get closer to your target, a large mass to represent a lack of energy for the maneuvering engines, a low refire rate to make it usable for aces only, and the negative price making it impossible to dismount it. Why all this? To represent the difficulties in combining the two different technologies. Plug & Play? Forget about that, I say. And if you can't afford lowering your shields and ECM, just use your stock guns instead of the BSG in-game. For the drone mission, you'll have to come up with virtually any defense systems - a challenge again.
Shissui
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Shissui »

Dilloh wrote:You're right, not my intention. Still, the drone mission is considered way too easy by most players.
So far, I have found two "safe" ways to eliminate the drone.
(1) stay between 400 & 500 range --> I can shoot the drone & it cannot shoot me.
(2) wander up with a drayman or bigger & slurp it up into the hold. This has the additional advantage of giving me a lot more steltek guns to play with.

Both of these are easy to deal with & will somewhat address the "mission is too easy" at the same time:
(1) give the DRONE boosted stelteks too (It currently has 5x steltek,base)
(2) make it immune to tractor beams. (if that is not easy -- give it a hold volume rating of infinity without changing the model.)

Additionally, if that is not enough:
(3) improve the drone fighting algorithm. If it manoeuvered like a demon, then it would be very hard to catch. Currently, it has absolutely no objection to being blasted from out of its own range; despite that it appears to have inertialess turning & better acceleration than anything I can buy or steal.

These three changes should be more than enough to make the drone appreciably harder. However, if that is not enough, I can suggest a few more ideas.
huzelbub
Trader
Trader

Post by huzelbub »

Dilloh wrote:I really don't know what else to do, I wish I could show it to you, but I swear it works on my machine. Maybe a bad radar might help, note that this is my last suggestion and a wild guess.
Anyway, thanks for your help! I will try a fresh install, start a new game and see what it does. If that does not help either, I think it's a good time for a stiletto! :)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

huzelbub wrote:Anyway, thanks for your help! I will try a fresh install, start a new game and see what it does. If that does not help either, I think it's a good time for a stiletto! Smile
No problem, sorry I couldn't tell you more.
Shissui wrote:give the DRONE boosted stelteks too (It currently has 5x steltek,base)
We already talked about this one... I'd even give the Drone its own Steltek gun type, some really mortal ones, with an energy usage only managable by the drone maybe also an invisible steltek turret.
Shissui wrote:make it immune to tractor beams. (if that is not easy -- give it a hold volume rating of infinity without changing the model.)
Is that possible? I might take a look at the jump points for they are the only objects which are definitively immune.
Shissui wrote:However, if that is not enough, I can suggest a few more ideas.
I'm excited to hear more...