Bug workaround? (destroyed save)

Forum For Privateer Remake
elShoggotho

Bug workaround? (destroyed save)

Post by elShoggotho »

I made a grave mistake. After a slight modification of my save, which had some interesting side-effects (I modified my Paradigm into paradigm.stock, which in turn reverted my Centurion to just-after-main-campaign status, giving me a Boosted Steltek gun in the middle of RF), I switched ships in the middle of a mission. That wiped my mission log just as I was doing the informant mission. I was on a stop in Perry on my way to New Detroit. I saved the lot over my main save, idiot that I am.

Now I'm a newbie regarding save modifications. Can someone explain to me how I change the save in a way to give me that informant mission back?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

I think you referred to a bug that was fixed in the unstable version... however I'm not sure if this was exactly it, or a variant of a similar problem related to your ship getting destroyed when you switch ships.

Anyway, if this was a campaign mission, you can almost always talk to the guy who gave you the mission, and he will restore it for you... but you will lose your progress. Otherwise, you are out of luck :-(

Now, the mission should not be failed (again, save often under different names to avoid this). I think that the bug deleted the mission but did not fail it entirely (and even so, the campaign might be friendly)
elShoggotho

Post by elShoggotho »

Seemingly, I'm out of luck. My Capella contact only tells me to make haste in completing that mission that dropped from the roster while there's no one in New Detroit to receive my data. That may come from the fact that my ship reverted to another status, possibly taking the mission cargo with it.
elShoggotho
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elShoggotho »

I'm still here...
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

If you change ship in the middle of a mission you get an automatic fail.
elShoggotho
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elShoggotho »

That's the whole point. I need to reset that single mission because of a silly bug.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Make a backup of /Privateer/.privateer100/save/NameOfYourSavegame.
Afterwards, open it with WordPad (NOT with notepad).
You'll soon find an entry called "privateer.campaign" and a number after it.
The number indicates your campaign score. For every completed mission, you get 7 points.
You get lesser points for progress or fails.
All you have to do is reset the number to the next smaller number which can be divided by seven.
Example: You have the entry:
privateer.campaign 75 0.0000 etc.
75=7x10+5, so your number is 70. Change the entry to:
privateer.campaign 70 0.0000 etc.
save and retry
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Also, can you post your savegame?

It doesn't sound like based on your description that the game actually considered the mission lost.

What should happen in most cases is that you get your mission back when you talk to the guy again. He wouldn't want to talk to you if you actually failed...
elShoggotho
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elShoggotho »

I'll try that workaround, editing the savegame with neither WordPad nor Notepad, but with a hex editor. If that fails, I'll post the savegame in txt format.
My rf_campaign value is 56, my rf_mission value is 1. I just changed my mission value to 0. Trying the save now...
Didn't work. Changing the privateer_campaign from 185 to 182 made the Steltek fighter steal the Delta Prime base again, but nothing more.

Here's the save file...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Ups sorry, We're talking about the RF camaign...
In this case, you should only reset rf_campaign. Since 56:7 works, I'd recommend 49.
If nothing helps, delete the whole line rf_campaign and rf_campaign_missions. Your progress with Murphy, Lynch, Tayla and Goodin will still be saved, but everything else from RF should be set to zero. Don't forget to backup of course.
elShoggotho
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elShoggotho »

Didn't work as expected. I had to reset the rf_campaign value to zero. I'm still suffering from the side effects, eg. no RF equipment while flying the RF campaign. Not the ship systems, they work just fine, but I can't buy RF only stuff.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Try to land on Jolson again. Maybe the script needs this event to be able to unlock unitsRF.csv. If you don't see the cutscene there, hack yourself a boosted steltek gun and land again, so your gun will be ripped off.

Hacking yourself a gun can be done in the serialized.xml subfolder.
elShoggotho
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elShoggotho »

That's the whole problem: I ripped the Steltek gun from my Paradigm and attached it to my Centurion. With said Centurion, I made the whole Jolson story and ended up with my ships loaded with their old guns, but no way to buy the RF weapons and addons!
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I see. I don't know how this happened. Either you had multiple Steltek guns, or it was because you landed on Jolson with a ship which did not have the gun AND the artifact, or anything else? Whatever happened, it prevented unitsRF.csv from being loaded.

If you don't have a savegame prior to rf, it'll be difficult to have a satisfying restore.

Since all ships and their equipment are stored in the serialized.xml subfolder, I see a chance: If someone would post a savegame with the progress of the drone being destroyed and RF not started (I don't have one). You could hack in your Fleet and your credits. All that would be wrong would be your relations with other factions, the equipment of your ships would still be the same. Also, you'd have to replay RF again from the beginning.

Sorry, I have no other suggestions - I haven't spent too much time on savegame hacking. I'm sure it is possible to hack everything correctly without loosing progress, but I don't know where all those entries are located.
elShoggotho
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elShoggotho »

After one mission in the RF storyline (Steltek gun ripped off and all), everything was back to normal. No more ship switching during missions, period!
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Personally I have a really bad problem when it comes to playing PR seriously... but from experience and reading what's here, it should be more than evident that no editing should be done while doing missions. lol
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.