Gun Cooler or Reactors not working after starting Civil War

Forum For Privateer Remake
jerry2a
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Gun Cooler or Reactors not working after starting Civil War

Post by jerry2a »

Hello - not sure if anybody can help, but I'm running PR with the PU-1.1b6 and CanonHUDS 1.32 mods, and after starting the "civil war" missions it seems that either my gun cooler or my reactor is no longer working properly...I'm using a Centurian fully loaded (2 fusion and 2 tachyon cannons). Before that mission I could pretty much fire at will holding down the trigger - now I run out of energy after about 2 seconds and have to wait. I had similar problems after completing the RF missions where my normal and afterburner speeds dropped (fixed that by selling my engines/afterburners and buying them again). I've tried selling my gun cooler and buying again, but no luck. Interesting note - my reactor Level 4 used to show up as "medium" but now appears as "heavy". I sold it, flew to another base that only had medium ones avail and bought a new one, and now it appears as "medium" again, but I still can't fire very much. That may have nothing to do with anything - just adding as much info as I can. Anybody else experience this? I actually installed the latest PU1.1b6-DSE update but I still have the same problem.

Thanks!!

UPDATE TO THIS POST: I sold my ship and all my accessories then bought them back - that fixed everything. I think the problem may actually be related in some weird way to the early Tayla missions where she installs the secret compartment on your ship...that's the only thing I can think of that's different about my ship now.
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

Mild spoiler--

That's strange--another post mentioned that the "secret compartment" isn't really real--that the game actually uses "hidden brilliance" for the missions where you're supposed to get through, instead of "contraband/brilliance" which--surprise, surprise--the militia find immediately.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I'm not sure if z30 reblananced the reactors or guncoolers, but he certainly did not do it with the AWACS starting. Myself, I didn't have my hands at any of those. Resell and rebuy is always a good option. Basic repairs might also help.

If you find some time, try to backup your savegame with the serialized.xml folders, reinstall PR without any form of PU and try it again. Although your equipment might still have the same specs, you could take a look at what happens if you resell/rebuy and furtheron if this is related to PU or to PR.

The secret compartment, as Onyx said, is no secret compartment at all... note the hidden brilliance still uses cargo space (in the original, you gained 20 free cargo space units for the rest of the game). Additional cargo space, if it was real, would influence your maneuverability slightly, but surely not your energy usage or gun response.
jerry2a
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jerry2a »

Thanks for the replies. Interestingly in the original Privateer you did get extra cargo space from the Tayla mission - think it was 25 units and it showed up either in your manifest or somewhere else...You could smuggle up to 25 units of brilliance or ultimate and nothing would be detected if you got scanned. If you sold your ship you lost it. If I remember correctly it worked all through PR and RF.

Anyway, I had installed your Dilloh mod on top of a 1.2 install that had the civil war mods AND one of your canonHUD mods -- I probably should have just done a fresh install. No biggie - I sold that ship, bought a new one, and problems went away. I DID have an issue trying to beat one of the missions where you had to blow up a Draymon in TrpKah - every time I destroyed it I would die. I think that was also related to not having installed your latest mod cleanly and I was able to fix that by going back to a saved copy of my installation. Hope that makes sense....

One last thing - I think your mods are great - and if I had a little more time I'd absolutely volunteer to help with development of Privateer Remake. I've been playing computer games on and off for about 20 years going back to the C64 and I still think that Privateer is one of the top 5 games ever. Glad to see it lives on today.

- Jerry
jerry2a
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jerry2a »

P.S. I'm an idiot - I didn't read your last sentence carefully enough - you said the same thing I said about how the extra cargo space worked in the original....
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

Dilloh wrote:The secret compartment, as Onyx said, is no secret compartment at all...
I didn't say that, you're giving credit to the wrong person. Hehe.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

:oops:
Sorry guys. I'm 26 by now, and approaching the Alzheimer's desease really fast.

Jerry, there's always a way to contribute! There's no need to spend hours and days in front of your monitor. If you specialize on one topic, you'll always be able to help at some point. Alternatively, I think Andy needs some help in creating the walkthrough. You could also contact Draken Stark or cmptch who both work on the website for PR, maybe they've got something to do.

Just a proposition. I'm always trying to recruit, but don't feel compelled...
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Dilloh, I think it was z30, or sparrowhawk or wht's his name? Some thing with "Hawk" in it.

Yes, i could do with some help. Just send me a PM if you are interested.
jerry2a
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jerry2a »

Thanks, Dilloh. Actually I've been thinking about creating a new campaign. I've been writing a script but the campaign modules look a little confusing. Is there a guide somewhere or do I just have to hack around? Also, how much Python programming is required for something like that? I've done quite a bit of Perl programming but I haven't gotten my hands on Python yet.

As for your memory condition, just wait another 10-15 years when the body starts to follow...I've reached the point where I can pull muscles just surfing the web :D
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

There are two things I must admit:
- I've started campaign scripting two days ago
- I know virtually anyting about Python

Still, I've managed to set up a 1-mission-campaign. I think I'll make progress and within that, I'll create a tutorial.

Until then, you'll most likely learn by trial-and-error: Look up campaigns.py and compare the script with what happens in the game. Many entries have #comments, this helps alot.

I'm currently trying to create an importer like they did with the bonus campaign, but I only had success within campaigns.py.

You might also want to look up the VS wiki (buttons above).

Whatever you do... welcome to the team!
:wink:
jerry2a
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jerry2a »

Thanks again. I was looking at the standard and bonus campaign files - the standard one actually seems a little easier to follow, but I know there are some cool things in the bonus campaign I'd like to borrow (such as having two 'fixers' in the same location). I'll play around with them as well. I've also been messing around with importing other ships (mostly taken from the defunct WCU project). I had some luck getting one of them working but most of the others cause the game to crash...I assume it's something with the units.csv file (I found a WCU to PRU units conversion file in the Civil War thread...don't know how reliable it is). I'm hoping it's not something related to the ship models themselves. Anyway, if I make any progress with the campaign files I'll let you know, but I probably won't get to it for a week or two.

Jerry
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

No prob man. Take all the time you need, there's no time pression. I'm thankful for everyone willing to look at campaign files.

I'd be happy to explain it to me if you get a deeper understanding for campaign files - let's see who's faster 8)