List of fun exploits (contributions welcome)

Forum For Privateer Remake
random_guy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

List of fun exploits (contributions welcome)

Post by random_guy »

I've decided to compile a list of fun exploits to play around with. I've found these so far trawling the forums. I've only managed to test two of them (the first and second ones), but most of them have been verified by multiple people on these forums.

Most of you will be familiar with most of these, but the list is for newcomers to the forums like myself.

The key to these exploits is that they can all be achieved without editing any files, although admittedly it will take a lot of patience to do so with some of them.

If you know of any other fun exploits, please post in this thread.

SPOILER WARNING

-----------------

Buy a paradigm

-----------------

Right after finishing the main mission, fly to Perry naval base, and if you have a spare 8.1 million credits lying around, you can become the proud owner of a paradigm capship. It has a cargo hold space of 100000, enabling 20 million credit plus cargo missions. Handles and moves like a bloated turtle though.

You can also buy a milspec stiletto.

-----------------

Disembodied turret

-----------------

Fly to a jump-point and start the jump, just before the jump happens, hit ] to go into one of your turrets. If you do it at the right time, your turret will become disembodied from your ship, unable to move.

-----------------

Shipjack

-----------------

This isn't an exploit, but it needs to be known for the next tips. If you fly a ship with a big enough cargo hold (a drayman or paradigm), you can use the tractor beam to shipjack ships.

You can use ctrl-x to launch the ships and press [ to pilot them.

Which leads to the next fun activities...

-----------------

Fly A missile

-----------------

You'd have to get VERY lucky to pull this one off. If you fly a craft with a docking bay, you can tractor in a missile. Then, you can fly it like any other ship. You can even land it on a planet or station. For some reason, the top speed is only 200kph though.

You can also just fire a missile and use [ to fly it like any other craft, but once it blows up you have to reload.

-----------------

Own a steltek fighter and drone

-----------------

If you've been lucky enough to find a drayman for sale, (I've read that they're available after the Oxford missions, but I've never seen one) with enough patience you can shipjack both the steltek drone and the fighter. Just use it on the final mission. Make sure you have two ships in your fleet (ships you can afford to lose). On the way to the final battle, you can tractor it in, if you can avoid getting killed in the meantime. Then you can launch it like any other craft, using the [ key.

If you want to keep it, you have to eject the fighter, use it to dock on the drayman, go to the shipyard and pay to swap that ship with another, by using the shipyard to transfer the ship in. Now do the same with the drone. They will both be added to 'my fleet'.

----------------

Amass a massive fleet

----------------

You'll need to be rich to pull this one off.

After the final mission, buy paradigms from both the commodity exchange and the ship dealer. Fill your paradigm up with ships of your choice through the tractor beam, then launch with the paradigm, eject a ship and dock that ship back on the paradigm. Then sell the paradigm inside the cargo hold at the commodity exchange, and buy it at the ship dealer. You now have two paradigms in your fleet, and one in your hold. Now eject a fighter, switch to it, land and switch it with the paradigm from your fleet. Then buy another paradigm from the ship dealer, repeating the process. Do this as many times as you want.

All the paradigms you buy this way will be copies of the first, so they too will be filled up with ships. You can have fleets of a hundred plus ships, if you eject them all. But you can't keep all the ships, because you can only dock with one paradigm.

With this trick you can destroy bases in minutes. See http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=6559

<NOTE: I'm not sure if I have this right, and I haven't tested it myself, can someone confirm it?>

-------------------

Attack bases

------------------

Yes, that's right, if you have enough manpower you can destroy bases, and even planets.

EDIT: Oh, and just today, while trying out the paradigm, I docked onto a Drayman with it. The drayman must be like the tardis!

In fact, on medium or below difficulty, you can dock into anything, anytime. I found the clawhammer today as well, and docked to check it out, even though the kilrathi have hated me for ages.
Last edited by random_guy on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Re: List of fun exploits (contributions welcome)

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

random_guy wrote:
-----------------

Fly A missile

-----------------

You'd have to get VERY lucky to pull this one off. If you fly a craft with a docking bay, you can tractor in a missile. Then, you can fly it like any other ship. You can even land it on a planet or station. For some reason, the top speed is only 200kph though.
i have done this one. I love it. Some missile just can't hit your foe so i just switch to it like another fighter.

[
b]Amass a massive fleet[/b]

----------------

You'll need to be rich to pull this one off.

After the final mission, buy paradigms from both the commodity exchange and the ship dealer. Fill your paradigm up with ships of your choice through the tractor beam, then launch with the paradigm, eject a ship and dock that ship back on the paradigm. Then sell the paradigm inside the cargo hold at the commodity exchange, and buy it at the ship dealer. You now have two paradigms in your fleet, and one in your hold. Now eject a fighter, switch to it, land and switch it with the paradigm from your fleet. Then buy another paradigm from the ship dealer, repeating the process. Do this as many times as you want.

All the paradigms you buy this way will be copies of the first, so they too will be filled up with ships. You can have fleets of a hundred plus ships, if you eject them all. But you can't keep all the ships, because you can only dock with one paradigm.

With this trick you can destroy bases in minutes. See http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=6559

<NOTE: I'm not sure if I have this right, and I haven't tested it myself, can someone confirm it?>
Yep, i have done this one, it works through takes awhile and your ship gets sluggish.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
random_guy
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: List of fun exploits (contributions welcome)

Post by random_guy »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:

i have done this one. I love it. Some missile just can't hit your foe so i just switch to it like another fighter.

That's awesome, I didn't know you could do that. Editing the list now. But doing it that way when the thing blows up it says you've died and you have to reload your game.
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

Cruise Control.^- - ^

press the Sheltron key and the throttle control will disengage allowing two things: 1) because the fore and aft thrustsers aren't 'fighting' you will consume less fuel and can maintain a course for far longer distances without riding on 'autopilot' 2) firing the 'afterburners' you can achieve speeds wildly exceeding the limiter's setting.

Hammers, availble in bulk. ^ - - ^

When you jettison cargo it travels on essentially the same course and speed you are traveling. This is useful for moving inconvient bases and the like.

Load up on inexpensive junk such as gasses then autopiliot your way to the base in question, dropping cargo in spec mode. The boxes will continue at amplified velocity to your target. When a box connects that unit will go tumbling out of orbit.

Remember to turn away before the spec-factor drops else your tail will get hammered too. Similarly do not launch a torpedo and the activate spec at maximum range ^ . .^ you could quickly meet the mistress by your own hand.

^ - -^ reload.

Often when you reload a game the engine regenerates the 'dynamic' elements not recorded in the save file. This means tha rare items like mount enhacements (1/51 odds) may appear, preferable missions may become availble, and more profitable cargos may magically regenerate.
edit wrote:Oops ^. . ^
I don't know if these are valid in Pricateer, only in 0.4.3
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Dock as scrap (Easy dock mode)
Afterburn directly towards a planet or base. Very shortly before you'd run into it and automatically dock, hit ctrl+d to autodestruct. You'll survive with your destroyed ship. Note that you can't relaunch again, or you'll eventually die.

Kamekh vs. Kamekh
If you have two or more enemy Kamekhs or Paradigms, afterburn between them while they try to shoot you. They'll hit each other and as soon as they damage each other's hull, they'll end up in a battle on their own. Worked very well within the unbalanced PR1.1 bounty missions where you had 9 Kamekhs attacking a base.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Ejected Pilot Ship

Post by Zool »

Ejected Pilot Docks at Planet
As I was going in to land one day, I accidently hit the Eject control and was left drifting in space around a planet. While I was shooting off the hand laser at other ships I drifted into the automatic landing zone and ended up on the docking bay as a very large pilot in a very large seat, much bigger than most ships. You can go about your planetside business and relaunch too.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

snow_Cat wrote:Cruise Control.^- - ^

press the Sheltron key and the throttle control will disengage allowing two things: 1) because the fore and aft thrustsers aren't 'fighting' you will consume less fuel and can maintain a course for far longer distances without riding on 'autopilot' 2) firing the 'afterburners' you can achieve speeds wildly exceeding the limiter's setting.
That does not work with PR 1.2. Do you know how to turn it on?
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Do you know how to turn it on?
^- - ^ no.

From vegastrike.config

Code: Select all

<!-- was SheltonKey, you may use InertialToggle also -->
<bind key="`" modifier="none" command="Flight::Mode::InertialPulsor" />
<bind key="`" modifier="ctrl" command="Flight::Mode::InertialToggle" />

Code: Select all

<bind key="A" modifier="none" command="ASAP" />
<bind key="a" modifier="none" command="ToggleWarpDrive" />
elShoggotho

Post by elShoggotho »

In a Paradigm or Drayman, way into the RF storyline, tractor in some Salthi (NOT Unknown, as many as you can), sell them at a larger base (needs a Ship Dealer), buy them as Ships, sell their guns and buy them for other ships... in theory, it works fine.

Ah yeah, the Salthi is a surprisingly poor ship. I can't recommend it. Autotracking doesn't work with it, at least at my machine. Afterburners for that baby have the same effect as with the Paradigm: none.
snow_Cat
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by snow_Cat »

^ . .^ mi casa es tu casa, pero manos de mi coche.
^. . ^ mi casa es tu casa, pero no toca mi coche.
(Vega Strike)
Cycle to your wingman and land at a base where you might exchange it for a less expensive model.
Alt: recapture and relaunch, because the only the base model, not the configuration of a given ship in cargo is expressed, it will be reequipped at no direct cost to you.
Alt: reequip your wingman with a capship and setfore to do some damage.
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

Acquiring the Steltek Fighter and Drone are not nearly as hard as that. All you have to do is sell them at the Commodity Exchange, and then you can buy them (10 credits each) from the Ship Dealer.

ALSO: Once this is done, you can strip the guns off the Fighter (three Boosted Steltek's), sell it, buy it again, and repeat for as many Boosted Steltek's as you like. The Fighter can also equip multiples of the performance enhancing parts (i.e. the Thrust Enhancer, Speed Enhancer, etc.) Getting fourteen Speed Enhancers is fricking fun.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)