Error or Bug: Radar Screen doesn't work

Forum For Privateer Remake
cabbit
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Error or Bug: Radar Screen doesn't work

Post by cabbit »

Hello, while this is my first post I've been a fan of the Privateer Remake for... about a year. It's a great tribute to a classic game. But that said:

I've re-installed privateer remake (PR) on my computer (522 mb RAM, Windows 2000) after my system needed to be reformatted and the program runs and is mostly functional except that, for whatever reason, my radar doesn't work.

First thing I tried:

Okay, I decided, maybe there's something goofy with the game, and the IRIS MK2 your Tarsus starts with doesn't work, so I sold that and bought the cheapest Hunter AW model radar and that still didn't work.

Here's what I mean by "doesn't work":

I can target ships but the little dots don't appear on the radar screen. In the "hanging free in space" view no radar appears. In the 'in cockpit view' the 'missle lock' warning still flashes but no dots appear on the radar screen.

Now I read the manual... well I skimmed the manual, and I can't find a key for "toggle radar on/off" and pressing keys at random didn't fix it either. But maybe I've just missed it, and you can tell me what it is.

Here's why this post isn't in the PR mod thread:

Now, I figured, it's probably some sort of bug. It's doesn't seem to be a common bug, but maybe it's something with the mod, so let's re-install PR in a different directory. OK, I did that. So I start the game and:

1) I can't see the mouse (presumable I could fix this by selecting the 'use hardware cursor' option, but I didn't bother becuase:

2) After I launch the only keys that seem to work are:

shift n (whcih brings up the nav computer screen where, god knows why, the mouse DOES work)

a (sends wingmen to attack targets I can't select anyway... which is odd because 'a' should trigger the autopilot, now that I think about it)

The keyboard and numpad arrows are amongst the keys that do nothing, with numlock on and with numlock off.

I can't even quit, without using ctrl alt del.

So this made things WORSE.

At this point, I think I need some help. I think I might try GG, since it has it's own independant install package, but I've played both GG and PR and, in all aspects except the graphics, prefer PR, so I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me on getting PR to run.

Oh... and I will be away from home for the weekend, so if I don't reply right away, please don't think I'm not grateful, I'm just not back yet.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

The most common "bug" is that users don't have the newest graphic card drivers installed. This can result in various endings. In my case, it was like running the game with 16MB ram - rather slow. Maybe you forgot about updating the graphic card drivers. Do that even if other games work fine.
cabbit

Post by cabbit »

Thanks Dilloh,

It worked. And sorry about the delay in replying.