I thought this was suitably awesome, also a few ideas I had.

Forum For Privateer Remake
scarredone
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

I thought this was suitably awesome, also a few ideas I had.

Post by scarredone »

http://www.wcnews.com/newestshots/full/ ... istmas.jpg

Also this site had a mass of WC info that some might find useful. http://www.wcnews.com/

What if there was a way so that you could get special equipment based on what factions you had a high percentage with? Maybe if you were friendly with the pirates you could buy a hidden compartment, which would also increase your cargo space and be immune to troublesome scans, or a missile type weapon that when it struck the target prevented your faction with that group going down (effectively EMPing the communications of the ship?), and what about a "cloaking" device, not really invisibility, but harder to detect at long radar range. Someone well off in the merchants guild could buy larger cargo hold increases. Someone in the mercenaries guild that had done enough missions (or whatever) could get better armor, radars, or engines. Those good with the militia had access to better weaponry and shields.

Is it possible to increase the space traffic? I think it is odd to roll up on a blockade point and see very little confed, or in some better developed systems (perry, new detroit, etc.) very little merc or cargo traffic.

And is it possible to add more stars? Isn't space teeming with the things? More cargo flying through space when a ship explodes, to make use of that pricey tractor beam? Is there a pirate version of the merc/merchant guilds and if not could there be?

Just a few things that breezed through my mind throughout the week. I know some or a lot of this may not be even possible, at least with PR. This game is already great, and tops most other games that have come out before or sense.

Also does anyone know of any other privateer-like games that are close to as much fun?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@scarredone http://www.wcnews.com/ is a nice site unfortunately certain individuals there hate us with a major passion :twisted: so lurk for a while :wink: As for more systems and traffic coming the main engine has this capability but the mod crew are not using it ATM

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

what about a "cloaking" device, not really invisibility, but harder to detect at long radar range
Or a Radar jammer
What if there was a way so that you could get special equipment based on what factions you had a high percentage with?
Coming one. It's planned.
Is it possible to increase the space traffic? I think it is odd to roll up on a blockade point and see very little confed, or in some better developed systems (perry, new detroit, etc.) very little merc or cargo traffic.
I agree. I think there should be lots more ships around.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Re: I thought this was suitably awesome, also a few ideas I

Post by Dilloh »

Hello again.
scarredone wrote:Maybe if you were friendly with the pirates you could buy a hidden compartment, which would also increase your cargo space and be immune to troublesome scans
I see a problem with that. The original Privateer had that compartment which could be filled up with everything. PR uses a trick: You get "hidden brilliance" from Tayla. The cargo type itself is immune to scans and doesn't add cargo space. So, the cargo expansion would need to be modified to be safe from scans. That would need to be hardcoded and I assume that is beyond modding.
scarredone wrote:or a missile type weapon that when it struck the target prevented your faction with that group going down (effectively EMPing the communications of the ship?)
The same thing. A kill is a kill. I also don't see the logic why your foe should forgive you, just because you jam his comm.
scarredone wrote:and what about a "cloaking" device, not really invisibility, but harder to detect at long radar range.
It existed and hell, I'll bring it back.
scarredone wrote:Someone well off in the merchants guild could buy larger cargo hold increases. Someone in the mercenaries guild that had done enough missions (or whatever) could get better armor, radars, or engines. Those good with the militia had access to better weaponry and shields.
As Andy said, there are efforts which go into this direction.
scarredone wrote:Is it possible to increase the space traffic? I think it is odd to roll up on a blockade point and see very little confed, or in some better developed systems (perry, new detroit, etc.) very little merc or cargo traffic.
Quite easy. The game uses spawning points, e.g. Most militia flightgroups appear in Pyrenees for the first time. By adding more logic spawning points and increasing the average ship amount, you can create a lot of traffic. Still, the longer you fly around the more the ships will spread through Gemini. We could prevent that by removing most fighters the jump drive (I think of Retros, Kilrathi, NOT merchants), but then every system would need its own spawning point... I don't know if that'd work with realism.
scarredone wrote:And is it possible to add more stars? Isn't space teeming with the things?
Jep. Add the system to wcuniverse.xml and create a newstarsystem.system in /Sectors/Gemini.
scarredone wrote:More cargo flying through space when a ship explodes, to make use of that pricey tractor beam?
Someone else had that idea a few months ago. It should be somewhere in the python files. He vanished while searching for it.
scarredone wrote:Is there a pirate version of the merc/merchant guilds and if not could there be?
There isn't yet and there could be. But it'd only make sense on pirate bases, and there is the mission computer offering enough dirty work.
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

Dilloh wrote: It existed and hell, I'll bring it back.
Sounds like something a german would say..
Dilloh wrote: Someone else had that idea a few months ago. It should be somewhere in the python files. He vanished while searching for it.
Bum bum BUM ::dramatic reverb::

Sorry i'm a bit drunk...
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

@Onyx
Not quite a strange time for Germany-related drunkness... The Fasnet is at its hottest point! If you're not drunk this week in SW Germany, you're not alive...
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Dilloh wrote:It existed and hell, I'll bring it back.
LOL, ROFL, Knowing every one aversion to cloaking ships i will add the exalibar for me and come a hunting every one says a thing about. :twisted:
Dilloh wrote:
scarredone wrote:More cargo flying through space when a ship explodes, to make use of that pricey tractor beam?
Someone else had that idea a few months ago. It should be somewhere in the python files. He vanished while searching for it.
Who was that? :shock:
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I can't remember and I'm too lazy to search for the post.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

I can't remember and I'm too lazy to search for the post.
Arn't we all? I'm sure if we all started to look for what s/he was looking for we couldn't all vanish... <.<;; could we?
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

:D :D :D

Now, sounds like time for poetry!

Where are we coming from? Where do we go to?

And most important, where do all those posters vanish and do they have enough space in their data nirvana for us others?
scarredone
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by scarredone »

Well whoever you used the communications knockout missile on wouldn't forgive you. You would either kill them afterwards or tractor in their ship. That way the REST of the faction wouldn't find out about it.

And I didn't mean adding more systems, I meant the background while in space. More stars as in while flying around it would look like space instead of a hollywood set.
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

According to the Wiki, in the *.system file, the entry "stars" adjusts the number of stars in the background, although a quick check in Pyrenees didn't seem to make any difference. I tried increasing stars and nearstars by factors of 10, 100, and 1000, and reducing star separation.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Look up
/Privateer/textures/backgrounds
the stars can't be changed by using the variable, this should only work if you have no background or if all background colours are transparent.