Updates and downloads for PR 1.2?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Dilloh wrote:
Gavinfoxx wrote:
And in the current version, does the Demon get upgrades at RF?
No, only the original ships (TarsusMK1, Orion, Galaxy, Centurion) get an upgrade. It should be medium work to enhance also other ships. This points me to a question, Zool, does your rebalance also affect those RF-rebalanced ships?
If you mean, for example, the ability of the orion to use up to a level 5 shield in the Priv Campaign and then up to a level 7 shield in RF Campaign, then I would have to say, at this point, probably yes. I haven't figured out how to restrict things in PR then have them change for RF.

ATM (in ZR) if, for example, you buy an orion before starting any of the campaigns, you can use level 8 shields and reactors straight away, (well as soon as you have the money anyway).

Is this what you're getting at??

When I first started poking around in the units.csv My first thought was to checkout the Centurion. (My fave ship since day one. 8) ) and I noticed that the reactor and shield levels were set in the {ship.template} line at level 4. What I could not figure out was where the game locked the reactor and shield at level 3 for the Priv Campaign. Can anyone help here? This would be great to know so I can place some resrtictions in the next ZR

@Zool, I'd consider this as a user request to carefully try to improve the other ships with the beginning of RF - which would in case of your rebalance just mean to enlarge the upgrade capacity.
Which "other" ships specifically?
All I did for ZR1.0 was just to go through the units.csv and edit the entries in the {upgrades} column for shields and reactor restrictions and the {upgrade_volume_space} column for each and every ship listed.
Last edited by Zool on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I haven't figured out how to restrict things in PR then have them change for RF.
Those are in units180.csv... Note that the 4 ships repeat and e.g. Orion comes with level 7 capability. There'd be just the need of a new demon template entry with better values, or in case of your rebalance, with more upgrade space.
ATM (in ZR) if, for example, you buy an orion before starting any of the campaigns, you can use level 8 shields and reactors straight away, (well as soon as you have the money anyway).

Is this what you're getting at??
I cannot talk for Gavinfoxx, but IMO, cancelling the technology boost between priv and rf is surely not in the interest of the gameplay.
What I could not figure out was where the game locked the reactor and shield at level 3 for the Priv Campaign.
Not the reactors or shields are locked, but the template ship as I explained above. With the beginning of RF, the game takes units.csv and "overwrites" double contents (in its RAM) with units180.csv. Apart from the new ships set for RF, the ships which already exist get their new templates with those values.
Which "other" ships specifically?
All I did for ZR1.0 was just to go through the units.csv and edit the entries in the {upgrades} column for shields and reactor restrictions and the {upgrade_volume_space} column for each and every ship listed.
I mean to balance the advantage the stock PR ships have with RF, I'd suggest to also give all other ships, at least the fighters, a little boost in units180.csv. But this doesn't hurry, I'm considering to lock some too powerful ships in later campaigns anyway, talking about the Gunship.
Gavinfoxx
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Gavinfoxx »

So what would you guys say would be good boosts for the various ships? Lets say we are talking about the version that doesnt use mass of the upgrades...

And is the Kuhkri supposed to have two guns on the wingtips? Is the improvement the simple fact that the outer guns are angled inwards a little? What are the gun improvements between the Gladius and the Kuhkri?
huzelbub
Trader
Trader

Post by huzelbub »

Dilloh wrote:I cannot talk for Gavinfoxx, but IMO, cancelling the technology boost between priv and rf is surely not in the interest of the gameplay.
You could solve this again by just raising upgrade space in RF. To stay with the Orion, without ZR you can mount shield and reactor up to level 5 and at the same time every other upgrade you wish without worrying about space. With ZR you would be able to do the same (level 5 AND other upgrades), however if you decide to go for level 7 or 8 there is little to no room for other equipment left, so you will most likely go for the smaller ones depending on your additional needs. When you reach RF with ZR, cargo space could be raised so that shield and reactor level 7 would fit together with additional stuff.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Dilloh wrote:Those are in units180.csv... Note that the 4 ships repeat and e.g. Orion comes with level 7 capability. There'd be just the need of a new demon template entry with better values, or in case of your rebalance, with more upgrade space.
Re: ZR1.1
This is good, :idea: Now I think I can set so it that ALL ships can get a small enhancement when you start RF. I could do a small firsl level rebalance using my ideas and then when RF kicks in allow a second level rebalance for but for all the ships. How's that sound?
Dilloh wrote:I cannot talk for Gavinfoxx, but IMO, cancelling the technology boost between priv and rf is surely not in the interest of the gameplay.
You're absolutely right. When I did ZR1.0 I had no idea about this stuff, but now :idea: :idea: ..................hehehehe........... :twisted:
huzelbub wrote:You could solve this again by just raising upgrade space in RF. To stay with the Orion, without ZR you can mount shield and reactor up to level 5 and at the same time every other upgrade you wish without worrying about space. With ZR you would be able to do the same (level 5 AND other upgrades), however if you decide to go for level 7 or 8 there is little to no room for other equipment left, so you will most likely go for the smaller ones depending on your additional needs. When you reach RF with ZR, cargo space could be raised so that shield and reactor level 7 would fit together with additional stuff.
My thought exactly, thanks to Dilloh I now have a pretty good idea how to do this.

@ Dilloh, I did what you suggested, (sold and re-buy Fireblade), and now have the correct one. It's great, just one thing though, when firing the HK's, energy drains fairly fast. When firing the HK's AND using AB's in combat, energy is gone in the blink of an eye. Although the recharge is reasonable, it still took quite a long time to waste one Dralthi and the other 3 (at that particular time) ended up getting me anyway by slow attrition. I spent a whole afternoon doing missions and picking fights with friendlies of all shapes and sizes. What better way to fully test it out, I say? Wow, the only 2 times I have been blown away more times was exploring Gamma in the Priv campaign, when all those Dralthi ambush you and the last big battle in RF. I couldn't even consider using it as a cap ship killer. When you ran out of torpedos you could not get a sustained enough burst from your guns to do any worthwhile damage because you would need to be on your AB's a lot.

Are many of you guys/girls flying a Fireblade on regular missions or even on campaign?? Is anyone else finding similar difficulties?? Or am I just a crap pilot??.....lol :D
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Gavinfoxx wrote:So what would you guys say would be good boosts for the various ships? Lets say we are talking about the version that doesnt use mass of the upgrades...
You can boost anything you like via RF, but you maybe need to rebuy your ship since all of them have a storage in your savegame holding nearly all specs from units.csv. Popular is shield and reactor level, but I also can think of heavier or more gun mounts, adding a turret, adding more upgrade space or more cargo space (to represent smaller parts). The possibilities are nearly infinite.
Gavinfoxx wrote:And is the Kuhkri supposed to have two guns on the wingtips? Is the improvement the simple fact that the outer guns are angled inwards a little? What are the gun improvements between the Gladius and the Kuhkri?
The Kuhkri has two guns on the wingtips, I recently tested this. I don't know the differences between the two ships exactly. The Kukhri is supposed to hold more guns and better shields/reactors and have a better speed, in exchange for a lower cargo space? I don't know exactly, but it is supposed to be better anyway. I never noticed the inward angle before, but something like that can be a real advantage! But overall, as I said, there is currently no PU faq, despite of it is desperatly necessary IMHO.
huzelbub wrote:You could solve this again by just raising upgrade space in RF. To stay with the Orion, without ZR you can mount shield and reactor up to level 5 and at the same time every other upgrade you wish without worrying about space. With ZR you would be able to do the same (level 5 AND other upgrades), however if you decide to go for level 7 or 8 there is little to no room for other equipment left, so you will most likely go for the smaller ones depending on your additional needs. When you reach RF with ZR, cargo space could be raised so that shield and reactor level 7 would fit together with additional stuff.
Yup, this is quite an advantage with ZR. You don't have to write complicated tech boosts, just make the equipment space higher and gain 90% of the advantages you want.
Zool wrote:I could do a small firsl level rebalance using my ideas and then when RF kicks in allow a second level rebalance for but for all the ships. How's that sound?
Sounds good.
Zool wrote:My thought exactly, thanks to Dilloh I now have a pretty good idea how to do this.
That was huzelbub... :-)
Zool wrote:@ Dilloh, I did what you suggested, (sold and re-buy Fireblade), and now have the correct one. It's great, just one thing though, when firing the HK's, energy drains fairly fast. When firing the HK's AND using AB's in combat, energy is gone in the blink of an eye. Although the recharge is reasonable, it still took quite a long time to waste one Dralthi and the other 3 (at that particular time) ended up getting me anyway by slow attrition. I spent a whole afternoon doing missions and picking fights with friendlies of all shapes and sizes. What better way to fully test it out, I say? Wow, the only 2 times I have been blown away more times was exploring Gamma in the Priv campaign, when all those Dralthi ambush you and the last big battle in RF. I couldn't even consider using it as a cap ship killer. When you ran out of torpedos you could not get a sustained enough burst from your guns to do any worthwhile damage because you would need to be on your AB's a lot.

Are many of you guys/girls flying a Fireblade on regular missions or even on campaign?? Is anyone else finding similar difficulties?? Or am I just a crap pilot??.....lol Very Happy
The Fireblade IS crap... Look at the description, I designed it to be a cowards' ship, just run away with it. I filled the gap of a missing combat role: distract the enemy. I'm currently scripting the Fireblade campaign and have a mission in where 4 Fireblades assault 6 Raptors... Hell, those raptors are toast! I think the Fireblade is best kept in AI hands for the templates have infinitive afterburner energy. But for players purposes, I already rebalanced its guns to give 50% more damage and would like to keep this, just to make sure we don't have another godship out there. Its major advantage is the cloak, which makes it a good ship for patrols, cleansweeps (just sit and watch how your allies take out your foes) and maybe even cargo/smuggling. For a RF rebalance, I suggest raising the upgrade space from 0 to 1, offering the possibility to mount autotrackers. Oh, and the energy is meant to deplete really fast... hit and run.

A propos campaign, I'd really appreciate some feedback on my Troy campaign since I'm currently scripting and scripting the follow-up campaigns...
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Dilloh wrote:
Zool wrote:My thought exactly, thanks to Dilloh I now have a pretty good idea how to do this.
That was huzelbub...
Sorry Huzelbub....And Thanks!! that piece of info will really help me out. :D
Dilloh wrote:
Gavinfoxx wrote:And is the Kuhkri supposed to have two guns on the wingtips? Is the improvement the simple fact that the outer guns are angled inwards a little? What are the gun improvements between the Gladius and the Kuhkri?
The Kuhkri has two guns on the wingtips, I recently tested this. I don't know the differences between the two ships exactly. The Kukhri is supposed to hold more guns and better shields/reactors and have a better speed, in exchange for a lower cargo space? I don't know exactly, but it is supposed to be better anyway. I never noticed the inward angle before, but something like that can be a real advantage! But overall, as I said, there is currently no PU faq, despite of it is desperatly necessary IMHO.
I'm not 100% sure, but at least 90% that I read somewhere that the guns on the Kukhri were supposed to have been moved inwards and missiles placed at the wingtips. I think this is what Gavinfoxx is getting at.
master_part_list.csv wrote:......Featuring better gun placement, higher speed and additional missiles this variant can hold its own even against the most advanced Kilrathi fighters.
Dilloh wrote:The Fireblade IS crap...
Thank god it's not me, I was beginning to have some doubts.......hahaha. One thing I did notice though is that you cannot mount any missiles or torps. This is not a good thing. I hope you're going to remedy this. It is a good little ship. I used it to do part of the bonus campaign, where you do some smuggling for Syrai and it was fantastic for that. Then next mission Syrai says she wants me to take on the Militia and a Paradigm. For the record, I tried, (I couldn't even dent the shields though), and a heroic effort it was too, right up to the point when the Paradigms many turrets ripped me a new exhaust port. Oh, and prior to this I lost a one on one with an Orion. :roll:

My "tweaking" instinct really starts to itch now when I think of the Fireblade......If just gave it...........no, no, no!!........but it just needs a little......NO!!!......but........!!!

Oh and Dilloh, I'll try and start your Troy Campaign this week sometime. I'm nearly finished the walkthrough for the Bonus Campaign for MAS. It's interesting, I have never been a pirate AND hated by ALL the factions before.
Gavinfoxx
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Gavinfoxx »

Zool wrote:I'm not 100% sure, but at least 90% that I read somewhere that the guns on the Kukhri were supposed to have been moved inwards and missiles placed at the wingtips. I think this is what Gavinfoxx is getting at.
That is, in fact, exactly what I'm getting at. Does anyone remember where that was said?

Edit: Found it!

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=6627

Hmmm, I've noticed that the missiles are 6/6/16 on the Kukhri... Is that supposed to be right? that is quite a few missiles!
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Hmmm, I've noticed that the missiles are 6/6/16 on the Kukhri... Is that supposed to be right? that is quite a few missiles!
Nooooo, don't metion it. i've been looking for a missile fighter for some time now....

You can take the paradigm out in a normal demon if you get daring, when i first started the game i was SOOO scared about cap ships, i now take them out when ever i play. the demon is a cap ship killer so it is REALLY suited.
dilloh wrote:The Fireblade IS crap
Ooh, Dilloh, 8) your 'english' is coming along well and your advancing to 'Advanced' English! :lol:
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Zool wrote:One thing I did notice though is that you cannot mount any missiles or torps.
Although I think ships should have their designated combat role, I might consider having a post-RF Fireblade with one torpedo launcher. But overall, Fireblades are not supposed to attack capships at all, just like Talons or Tarsus (what's the plural of Tarsus btw? Tarsuss? Tarsusses? Tarsi?). And as I said, HK1303 damage will go up by about 50% in the next version.
MAS wrote:Ooh, Dilloh, Cool your 'english' is coming along well and your advancing to 'Advanced' English! Laughing
hehe.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Tarsi sounds good to me, (how about Tarsii ?), though you could probably get away with Tarsuses..... :lol: My wife suggests Tarses.

And yes, I think the fireblade needs a launcher.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I like Tarsi!!!

The Fireblade seems to light and lightly armed lvl 1 sheild reactor is a bit under powered.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Concerning shields, I'll stay hard. The ships' speed is high enough to evade most of the attacks. But the launcher is okay for post-rf rebalance.
Gavinfoxx
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Gavinfoxx »

So where do I get the troy campaign?