Mac: Joystick-Problem

Forum For Privateer Remake
Birdy
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Mac: Joystick-Problem

Post by Birdy »

Hi all

after playing Wing Commaner Privateer 2 times many, many years ago, I'm really excited to see, that it lives on... and ... that it it is even playable on a Macintosh, because since some years I've abandoned the systems which use a big virus as operating system :twisted:

At this point many thanks to all who made that possible :-D

Now to my problem:
I have an extremly nice Joystick (Gravis Xterminator® Dual Control) 8)
which is natively supperted by Mac OS X :-)
but.... it does not work with PR... :cry:
I managed to edit the settings by hand (because it did not work with the setup-programm), but it even does not work...
can someone pls help me, fighting with a Tarsus using the Keypad sucks :roll:
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I've noticed you're not getting a reply. I also can't help you. Most users around here don't use MacOS, but you might want to point your question directly to a developer. I'd suggest you pm ace123 for he has proven very reliable and polite in helping users.

I could tell you now that you get the newest joystick drivers and reinstall them, but I assume you already tried that...
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

and it may be that joystick usage with OSX is broken but there has been another post about this in the VS user's area check this thread http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=2765 and if it has no relevance post again 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Re: Mac: Joystick-Problem

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Birdy wrote:can someone pls help me, fighting with a Tarsus using the Keypad sucks :roll:
Could you use the mouse. That's what i use.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Thanks for this link, seems to be the right place for my problem 8-)

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum... didn't realize how big the vegastrike-projekt is :roll:

@micheal: I didn't try the mouse... I think it would work....
but I would like to use my nice joystick ;-)
cuz I like tought dogfights :twisted:
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Yes, sorry for the delay. I saw your post long ago, but I, as the others, can't really help you because I know nothing of MacOS.
I can tell you that I do remember some similar posts, so you could try searching the the search link on the top of the page below the "Vega Strike Forums" header to see if you find sometihng related (or perhaps an inspirational solution).
In fact, if you find the solution, I wouldn't mind posting it in some visible place, like a FAQ or something similar, for future help-seekers.

VS Uses SDL for every joystick input, and so AFAIK it should work similarly on every platform. When it doesn't... it's such a platform-specific thing that noone without a Mac can help I'm afraid, and I only know a single other dev with one: dandandaman. Perhaps you'd like to direct him a PM - PM's trigger a mail that might catch his attention, I haven't seen him around the forums lately (otherwise I'm sure he would have helped you).
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
dandandaman
Artisan
Artisan

Post by dandandaman »

I have a mac, but I don't have a joystick. And actually, although future releases will use SDL, I'm not sure what the privateer builds used... most vegastrike mac builds have used glut in fact, so unless it's recent I dunno (the problem could be quite hard to solve, or may have been fixed). Just a question, are you using an intel mac? If so there are some updated binaries you canj download that may help with that problem...

Dan
"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers."
-- Pablo Picasso