Docking proceedures at bases & planets not working.

Forum For Privateer Remake
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Docking proceedures at bases & planets not working.

Post by Zool »

It says in the manual,
PR Manual wrote:Section 5.3.4 Difficulty
"Hard Game play"
.......... Player must enter the actual docking bays before being able to dock............

(Same for Insane and Impossible)

7.2.2 Docking Procedures
Docking is an integral function of playing Privateer Remake. Without knowing how to dock, you can never interact with another base in the universe. There are several steps to be followed in order to dock with a station.

Docking at medium and hard difficulties.
Continue traveling towards your destination. As you close, request docking clearance by pressing [0]. Green and red docking indicators will appear, indicating docking clamps. Green indicators are usable docking clamps. Red indicators indicate that the docking area is either on the far side of a base or ship's superstructure, or damaged; and as such, you cannot dock with that docking clamp. Approach the green docking clamps at low speed. When the green indicator fills your screen, you are close enough to dock. To initiate the automated docking sequence, press [d] and your ship will dock.

Section 13.2
............As you approach Helen, the closer you get, the bigger it gets. Common courtesy when you want to dock to a base or land at a planet, is to hail it and request permission to land. If you are playing on hard difficulty, press [0] while the base is targeted. As you approach, a green or red box will appear around Helen. These are the docking clamps. Carefully approach the green clamp. As you get close, press [d] to activate docking procedures. You may not be close enough to dock, so continue your approach and press [d] until docking initiates. If you are playing at a lesser difficulty, simply pressing [d] while close to Helen will initiate a dock.
I recently asked the forum if the necessity of having to "Request Docking Clearance" and then entering the docking bay to land could be edited to be used in the Medium Difficulty. I have since discovered that one DOES NOT have to "Request Docking Clearance" on ANY of the difficulty levels. You just fly up to the base and press [d] or fly into it.

Has anyone else noticed this? (Or is it just me?)
Does it have anything to do with the difficulty you START the game with? Or is this something that just "isn't there" in the gameplay itself?
It's just a small detail that doesn't affect the game but it's supposed to be there and I think that it's a part of the "realism" and would be nice if it worked.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

I would venture to guess that it simply isn't there. This is after all a total conversion of the Vega strike engine. I have never played VS so i don't docking clearance is in that game or not. But Anyone that has played the WC games knows that docking clearance is necessary in those games.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

At one point, people were complaining for some reason that they would frequently crash when attempting to land. I would have said: well, learn to fly. But the Dev's anwer in that moment was to make easier difficulty levels dock when you crashed into a base (you docked to a base by crashing into it).
I think it has been disabled now (it brought some other bugs and annoyances), but the feature is there still.
In any case, it's only for lower difficulty levels. For higher difficulty levels, you still have to press "d" to dock.
Requesting clearance, however, is never required - only "polite" as the manual says, and technically speaking all it does is bring up the docking indicators if they haven't appeared by themselves already. That is... not required.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Thanks Klaus, That clears it up. Though I must say that I have never seen the docking indicators come up, ever. No matter, as I said before, it's just a small thing.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859