Time for another "Good Idea, Bad Idea"...

Forum For Privateer Remake

Good Idea? Bad Idea? (This partains to those who wish to keep updates possible yet have PR without Every extra)

This is the best we can do until we have something like plug-ins.
21%
This is the best we can do until we have something like plug-ins.
21%
It's ok, not great but definitely could be better.
14%
It's ok, not great but definitely could be better.
14%
Not happening.
No votes
Not happening.
No votes
Not too sure about this...
14%
Not too sure about this...
14%

Total votes: 14

Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Time for another "Good Idea, Bad Idea"...

Post by Draken Stark »

Dilloh wrote:Yeah, but there are restrictions for individual versions. We can only use one units.csv, one masterpartlist, etc. The more mods exist, the lower the possiblity for cross-over compatibility is (due to regularly appearing new versions), so we all need to have a consens, at least until some really smart guy invents what we need - a installer which allows to alter the files with saved lines created by the modder (==> a plugin), something similar to the Bridge Commander Foundation as seen on www.bcfiles.com - If we had something like that, everybody could make a mod without any necessarity for updates in case of a new version of PU, canonHUDs, or other new stuff.

Then instead of a single patch that determines what everyone plays with and keeps. How about a catalog method that lists items and things you may want to add... Kind of the best we can do for now work-around.

Here's what I'm trying to talk about:
I wrote:I've created a new quad laser weapon with graphics. I don't have a 3d modeler that I know how to use confidently yet, so I'm just going to repost the laser file renamed for ease of use in this example.

(Use Notepad/any text editor to add the following in these files:)

Add a new line at the bottom of this file...
"\Privateer\master_part_list.csv"
...and add the following:
quad_lasers,upgrades/Weapons/Mounted_Guns_Medium,10000,0.01,1,@upgrades/quad_lasers.png@ Quad Lasers which fire bolts with normal damage at a much faster rate than just the regular laser
Near the bottom of...
"\Privateer\weapon_list.xml"
...add a few new lines right above where it says "</Weapons>" and add the following:
<Bolt name="quad_lasers" mountsize="light">
<Energy rate="13" stability="3.5" refire=".075">
</Energy>
<Damage rate="3.4" longrange="1">
</Damage>
<Distance speed="5000" radialspeed="1" radius="1.8" length="10" pulsespeed="15" range="5424" >
</Distance>
<Appearance file="weapons/laserred.png" soundwav="Laser.wav" r="1" g=".3" b=".3" a="1" >
</Appearance>
</Bolt>
Finally, the last file to add something to is...
"\Privateer\units\units.csv"
Create a new line at the bottom and add:
EDIT: (Note: I had entered some return characters to make the forum easier on the eyes. Just paste in each line at a time from the forum quote, into the same line in the file. Make sure all the code goes into a single line in the file and it should be fine.
Also Note that it may be useful to turn off "word wrap" in whatever text editor you're using.)
quad_lasers__upgrades,./factions/upgrades/quad_lasers,quad_lasers,
FIXME,FIXME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,0,0,,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,,,,,,,0,1,,0,0,FALSE,
1,,0,,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,FALSE,0,FALSE,0,0,0,0,,0,0,0,0,0,,0,0,0,0;
0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0,0;0;0;0;0;0;0;
0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,,,,,,,
{Quad_Lasers;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;1;1},,,,,,0,0,0,0,0,,,0
Then look at the attached files and follow the directions on the comments.
... And there you have it! Quad Lasers have been added to the game for you.
Think of this as a cookbook layout sort of... just listing what you need to add and where and then you have your own little "patch job" making what PR you do have, yours. I understand this maybe quite a bit trouble for some to go through, but it's as good as we can do for now if you want to personalise your own version of PR.

EDIT: If you have problems with cutting out some of the code into your own PR, scroll down to see another post which has the two .csv files in .txt format.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Draken Stark on Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

since i am not a part of your wee mod i will not vote and distort your result but Draken your idea is good because people become familiar with the game internals and therefor potential help down the line 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

It was just an example...

Post by Draken Stark »

All that post was for was to show an idea of posting future updates to PU or mods in general. For instance... if there was a ship or weapon you liked that was part of a mod, but hated the other parts to the mod, you could simply strip out the things you liked and leave out all the things you didn't. Just saying that a layout of what's in a patch/mod, like the above example, could be very helpful.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I'm not too sure... of course it forces people to learn more about the games' internals, but as long as I don't know how much knowledge people have about that, I can't really state that it's a solution - maybe with a clear guide which editor to use for what file, etc.

Maybe I could create something primitive using batch files.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Got a problem using wordpad and notepad to add Draken Stark's Quad Laser.

I followed the instructions very carefully but the gun was not available in the "shop". First I used wordpad to add the appropriate lines to the appropriate files.....didn't work. Did the same with notepad and no go again. Something I noted, when I viewed the units.csv, master_part_list.csv and weapon_list.xml with both wordpad and notepad, the additions were there. However when I viewed the two csv files with the csv editor the quad laser entries did NOT show up. I think the problem was in the way wordpad and notepad saved the files after I made the additions. Both saved them in "TEXT FORMATS", not as CSV files even though I had the .CSV extension with the filename, and this possibly rendered the new data unreadable by PU. The only way I could see to make this work is to add the data cell by cell in the csv editor, a very tedious process as it has no copy/paste abilities, otherwise I'm stuck with Excel and the risk of corrupting the file.

Is there something better than the csv_editor I can download & use??
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Not as I know. But Draken Stark, if you'd submit your new gun csv entries as single-lined csv files there'd be a better chance to implement them using the csveditor with its copy-and-paste function for whole lines.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

@zool
ok, I'm not sure you should be using wordpad as it uses formatting in the text you type >.< i.e. adds extra tid-bits that you can't see to the code. I'd suggest that you stick with a plain text editor like notepad and I think it should be fine in the future...

however
@Dilloh
not a problem at all, if you want to cut it out yourself from the cvs files, here's what I got.

(Note: The quad laser works just fine on my PR so it'll just be a matter of cutting and pasting that should work. Once we get a method down of getting people to download the text and files and have them work, we should be able to simplify and make this look a hell of a lot easier.)

EDIT: AHHH!!! csv files are not allowed to be uploaded to the forums! ok... well I'll upload them as a .txt
after you get the files downloaded just change them back to .csv
(If you can't see file extentions on your computer just ask how to get them to show. I'm sure either I or someone else will help you out.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GMacLir
Explorer
Explorer

Post by GMacLir »

MS' XML Notepad 2007 works fine with xml files. I use OpenOffice.org 1.1.5's 'Spreadsheet' to work with csv files it works fine as well. I use OOo 2.x on my other setup, but that machine isnt 'new' enough to run VS or any of its variants; so, I'm not sure if it's spreadshet app will still play well with the csv files.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

For me it's notepad 2 for everything :) with maybe a bit of Excel on the side. Notepad 2 is great for web development so I've stuck to that, if you try to "google" it, beware of imposters that cost money. Notepad 2 is freeware and works great :D
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

@zool
I think the problem was in the way wordpad and notepad saved the files after I made the additions. Both saved them in "TEXT FORMATS", not as CSV files even though I had the .CSV extension with the filename, and this possibly rendered the new data unreadable by PU.
That's completly true. In order to save the file and have it work you have to change/set the three letter extension in one of two ways:

1. While in the "save as" screen (you should get rid of ".txt" if that shows) just type out .csv at the end to make it save as a CSV file. Simple. :)

2. After you already have it saved just go to the folder and change the extension from .txt to .csv just by renaming it. (Again to do this in Windows if you cant see extensions - you would have to go into Folder Options in the Tools menu in your file browsing window - Go into the View tab - and then Uncheck the box for "Hide extensions for known file types" - after that then just click OK.)

Hope this helps! :wink:
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.