Suggestion: Improvement to the "Use Mouse to Steer"

Forum For Privateer Remake
Bluehair
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Suggestion: Improvement to the "Use Mouse to Steer"

Post by Bluehair »

If anyone has ever played a game called Space Cowboy Online, they used a mouse steer function that is similiar to what I've seen here in PR. It's a little better though because it isn't as sensitive as the steering here is.

Basically, the target reticule is a circle, if the mouse cursor is within the circle, the ship would barely move at all, whereas in PR, if the mouse cursor was not centered, the ship would move significantly to where the cursor is pointed at.

Now if the cursor was skimming along the edge of the reticule's line, the ship in Space Cowboy would skim slightly to that direction, anything past that line has the ship turning more increasingly, depending on how far the cursor is away from the reticule.

In summary, just want to have more control over my ship when trying to fly straight with a mouse. It was almost impossible to shoot at the enemy with Use Mouse to Steer function and if this is implemented, it'd be a lot more easier.

...Then again the counter would also be "Just buy a joystick." ...but I dont play that many games to make such a purchase. >_>
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

I had also asked about this many times. I too loved to use the "invert mouse control" just like the original Privateer. It's extremly hard to just head straight. >.< And takes valuable moments to get the pixel just right to go straight. (especially on my laptop where I have to slide my finger constantly over and over >.<, the j-mouse isn't any better, but I like it more.) Dogfighting for me however is still a piece of cake up to the point of where I need to play chicken.
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

we defenately need a 'deadzone' in the mouse.. a joystick has it already installed IN the joystick, that little area where you can wobble it a little, and get no reaction, then push beyond and things start to move.. the mouse needs it too.. its nearly impossible to set a course and leave it at that.. my mouse is on an incline, so i have to hold it in place.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

If you get used to the mouse on PR you like it and can't switch to anything else.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2