capital ship turrets of DEATH AND DESTRUCTION!

Forum For Privateer Remake
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

capital ship turrets of DEATH AND DESTRUCTION!

Post by Neskiairti »

im playing with turrets right now that use high energy beam weapons.. since as everyone has said, these massive ships, are just too weak, give a few of these weapons.. like a few ping lasers, and one planet coring weapon.. maybe with a refire of something like 60 seconds..

then the little 'ping' lasers, just something that fire at a rate of .2 and a pause of .1 with medium range damage, couple of these style turrets packed around a capital ship.. or drayman.. and you got a more realistic ship.. of course, i dont have one yet.. and i havnt figured out quite how to hack one in to my save game successfully.. (tried to get a drayman in, and it did some really weird stuff.. on the ship view in a base.. it looked like an inch across.. then in space, the weapons were so widely spaced, i could shoot straight past a space station without touching it, on either side >.> i know i did SOMETHING wrong..

so im testing these things out on my centurion.. balancing and all that.. the pingers are about right, but the big one, is underpowered.

i do have a problem though..
i cant seem to design the turret correctly, it doesnt act like the other turrets, and i cant install it on my ship.. i hacked it on to my ship, to try it out, and it worked well.. (too well for a centurion to use.. flee from my enemy and it picks them off at 10000k, didnt realize that i was killing them, thought they were randomly dying due to fighting each other! there goes my afiliations, 40 militia kills is painful)

also, how do i set a weapon so that only a certain faction can use it, or a certain ship class..
when i was first testing it out, ended up that every ship had one of the heavy beam weapons in space X.x that, was painful, watching a hundred or so beams flying back and forth, raking across space.. cutting me to pieces. little ships should NOT have these things.. and its the only way i can test the damage and rate.. X.x so i end up testing them, on myself, watching them cut ME to pieces..
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Okay, first of all, we could need more information.
What kind of turret is this. Medium, Light, Heavy?
If it is a heavy turret, it can not be installed onto a fighter. You'll have to hack it onto your ship and I doubt that it will work without any bugs.

To add you turret to all ships of the game, you need to
- put it into the masterpartlist.csv
- create it as an adequate turret (medium suits most fighters)
If you want to have other ships carrying your turret, you need to change the ships in units.csv to be able to have turrets.

If your weapon is a standard gun and nearly almighty, it shouldn't be buyable. If it is, you'll surely encouter a ship having it. If you place your entry similar to the steltek gun, you'll need a unique shop where to buy it, or you'll need to create a fixer who gives you the gun. Bad luck. When I experimented with the laser (I wanted to annihilate perry in one shot), it was hard to get anywhere - Any talon encounter was mortal.

Place your files which contain the turrets and other users might help you best with you bugfixing.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

for the purpose of testing, i made it a medium turret.. i made both rear and normal.. but neither seem to work..

the bug with everyone having the weapons, was due to testing the weapons indivigually.. trying to determine which streingth is best.. (its kinda hard to calculate the damage without seeing the loadout screen, then testing it) but anyhow..

how do i go about making a special place to buy it?

and i hacked the turret in just fine, but in the buy screen, it has a ton of other information.. what i had done, was coppied one of plasma turrets, replaced the relevant information.. and it wouldnt work..

i wouldnt mind some of the tiny beam weapons on ships.. they are well balanced so far.. and make head on runs much safer for who ever has them.. though trying to hit some one with them, while they are flying in circles doing strafe and dodge runs.. they are almost usless.. (since you need to hold it on the target to do real damage, just a tiny peck, is worthless).. even with auto tracking..

but for testing purposes.. how do i make a 'special' place to buy them? or a way that only privateer faction can buy them? i havnt found refernce to that anywhere..

anyhow, once i get the kinks worked out of the turret, ill throw it on the cap ships.. and try to manuver it on to the rear end of a drayman, to see what kinda force i would be dealing with (me fighting a drayman equiped with it) stick a rear one on the butt, wont have pirates sitting there and pecking at their tailholes. so you would have to fight logically instead of just taking advantage of a dumb ship design.

edit: just noticed annother problem..

turrets have many weird types.. turret_mediumrear_name+turret_mediumrear_name_gun under: subunits
medium_turret__upgrades under: ./factions
turret_medium_name+turret_medium_name_gun under: ./subunits
medium_turret_rear_name under: ./factions
turret_mediumrear_name under: subunits

each has a differnt key and differnt directory.. what should i be making, how many should i be making? X.x
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

I'm afraid I can't help you too much as I currently have no experience with turret placement. z30 once implemented a missile turret, maybe he can help you. Or, as I mentioned, you might want to post the relevant files so that other users can help you out.

You can't restrict equipment to be bought only by special factions. If it is on the market, it is on the market. This comes by the game engine. Ships are spawn, the factions don't really buy it.

You can create an own base or room type which has your device in its shop. This is only one possibility I can think of by now, maybe there are more.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

ahh i see.. hmm.. create my own base of operations >.>
elShoggotho
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by elShoggotho »

You could declare these turrets "Confed Milspec" or something, to make them available from Perry Naval Base and Paradigm ships.
By the way: If Confederate corvettes had planet coring weapons, why bother to build larger ships?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Yes, that's right. You can also create a new category, e.g. "Special Turrets", and place them in untis.csv, let's say only for refineries.