Ship Editing

Forum For Privateer Remake
wingnut
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Ship Editing

Post by wingnut »

hey, Im trying to edit a few ships (gonna start modding a bit, just seeing how friendly this engine is, and so far it is easier than some others I've tried) and I cant find how to change the acceleration, mass, or afterburner speed. Im using notepad to open the ship files in privateer\.privateer100\serialized_xml\savegame2

if anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated.
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

Most of the ship values (and just about everything else values) are in units.csv in the units subdirectory. I had a problem getting an afterburner mod to take; I had to create a .custom entry. I like the idea of finding fixers that might give a little tweak to your ship's capability--nothing too unbalancing, but the sort of thing that would make exploring a little extra rewarding. I've been experimenting to see what is a "tweak" and what is "unbalancing." Bumping afterburner from 750 to 850 on a Galaxy makes it a regular blockade runner--too much boost (but handy for testing other stuff).
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Remember to make a backup of units.csv and to use csveditor2 as excel corrupts the file in most cases and the editor gives a much better overview of the file.

There are some frontiers for modding beyond the source, as the game has a physical engine. I mean if you try to upgrade your cargo hold for instance, you will loose turning capability (which can be updated again, but it takes more time for balancing).
wingnut
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by wingnut »

yeah, Im still experimenting with it.

I cant find this csveditor, I cant find a link to it to download on the link you gave (maybe Im not seeing it).
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

you aren't seeing it,the attachment box just click the download link :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

You need to be logged in to see and access downloads. Check the box above: You see FAQ, Search, Memberlist, Usergroups, Profile, You have no new messages, and either Log in or Log out (wingnut).
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had no problems using Excel. You do have to remember to save in .csv format, which it will prompt for. The only real annoyance is that once you save as a .csv, when you go to exit, it still asks, "Do you want to save?" since you've never saved in Excel format. It goes against all my reflexes to say, "No, I don't want to save this thing I've been working on for 20 minutes..."
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

if you don't mind the download Open Office's Calc plays nice with our beloved csv files.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Melonhead wrote:Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had no problems using Excel. You do have to remember to save in .csv format, which it will prompt for. The only real annoyance is that once you save as a .csv, when you go to exit, it still asks, "Do you want to save?" since you've never saved in Excel format. It goes against all my reflexes to say, "No, I don't want to save this thing I've been working on for 20 minutes..."
I've had Excel corrupt the units.csv file 2x - OpenOffice Calc seems much more careful in handling csv files, no problems yet.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I've downloaded it (cvs editer) and love it.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

For editing csv values, excel is okay. Try to add a line and everything will be messed up. I use excel as a "viewer", it shows the columns, csveditor doesn't do that. For editing, I always use the editor.
Zool
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Zool »

Most of my "Tweaking" has been done in Excel and I don't think I've had any problems.

Melonhead wrote:
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had no problems using Excel. You do have to remember to save in .csv format, which it will prompt for. The only real annoyance is that once you save as a .csv, when you go to exit, it still asks, "Do you want to save?" since you've never saved in Excel format. It goes against all my reflexes to say, "No, I don't want to save this thing I've been working on for 20 minutes..."
Yep!!! my sentiments exactly!! :)

Have had one problem with csveditor though. I tried to edit "shipname.blank" in the /privateer.00/serialized_xml folder and csveditor wouldn't load it, just kept giving me a warning/error message about corrupted data.
Time is an Illusion..............Lunchtime doubly so!! -Ford Prefect-
Check out Privateer themed goodies!
http://www.cafepress.com/soulfulngifted/2889859
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

The file is already corrupted then... you most possibly used excel or something else in advance. Maybe the game can read the file, but csv editor no more.
zeo1234
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by zeo1234 »

Yes, programs like Excel are almost nortorious for such problems because of the propriatary way they save the file. Even between different versions of Excel.

Though there are editors known to be pretty safe in this regard it is always recommended that you create a copy of the file before trying to edit it.
GAlex
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by GAlex »

a new and bugfixed win32 version of csveditorv2 is ready for download ad the devtools & userutils forum.

it should handle all your issues (thanks loki1950).

check this out.
"Eppur si muove ..."
(Galileo Galilei just after abjuring to the Inquisition)
Scaeres
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

missile launcher editing problems

Post by Scaeres »

Is there any reason why I cannot seem to make the gothri have more than the single missile ammo bin? Every mod I try with the editor seems to fail and I've even gone as far as to try and shift the weapons config from other ships like the centruion but each time I can only buy one missile per rack. any clues?
Thanks
Scaeres
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Scaeres i believe that you have to change the volume of the mount so it can handle larger volume multi missiles etc. also check the volume of the missiles themselves maybe reducing there volume as well would work.

Scaeres
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

still getting problems

Post by Scaeres »

Thanks for the help.
I've discovered a problem. I use the editor to change the files in both the units.cvs and the units180.cvs to reflect something completely different in the game (used the Orion's values in place of the Tarsus'). I made sure that the files were saved correctly and that they were what I wanted.
When I started the game with the mods in place the ships came up as normal, no changes to the Orion (which should have no weapons at all) or to the Tarsus (which should have 2 guns and a single weapons pod just like the Orion did).
Am I missing a step? Is there a file I haven't thought to look for or is something wrong with the cvs editor? The files save correctly but it doesn't seem to have any effect whatsoever on the game.
Thanks again for all the help if you can't tell I'm a noob at the entire modding thru CVS thing.
Scaeres
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

BTW the Privateer Remake crew had a minor fork there is now a Privateer Universe they added some more ships from the Wing Commander series and several new story lines and have moved the data set to the new version of the vegastrike engine they have there own web site as well http://pu.wcjunction.com/ happy hacking :wink:

ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Also, make sure to modify the tarsus.begin, tarsus.blank, and tarsus, and tarsus.template.

The .blank says the "base values" of the tarsus--i.e. after selling all components, and the .template says the best stats a tarsus can have. If you do not modify the .template and .blank, it may not let you upgrade your ship (or it might cause other problems).

The "tarsus" is used for enemy ships, and the "tarsus.begin" is used for your starting ship.

Also, make sure you start a new game since your saved one will use your saved ship.