Trade and other reasons to explore

Forum For Privateer Remake
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Trade and other reasons to explore

Post by Melonhead »

I have been doing some thinking about the trade economy in Privateer, and see a basic problem with the trade setup in Gemini: purchase and sell prices are fixed, dependent only on base/planet type.

Looking at the cargo.csv file, it looks like the idea was to have a range of buy/sell prices, but this isn't yet implemented. As a result, why would anyone make the dangerous trip to a mining base several jumps away from a refinery, when the purchase price there for iron, tungsten, etc. is exactly the same as found at nice, safe Troy? It seems that for a distant base to attract buyers, it would have to offer goods at a lower price--and, if the system is dangerous, they might have to really lower their prices, which might lead to a story in the business section of GNN.

I've been browsing both the python scripts and SVN folders trying to figure out where the trade system is implemented, without success. This seems like it might be an interesting mod area to explore--I'd appreciate any pointers!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@Melonhead PM Zeog he has been overhauling the economy of the main VS engine he should have an entry point for you 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Thanks Melonhead, you have given me a idea for the GNN Today thread.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

Are you thinking "business section"? I am, and it raises a question about the whole communications/travel time concept in the game.

In Privateer, how fast are we really travelling, and how fast are communications really travelling? Is there a form of FTL communications, or is news travelling because ships are carrying it to other systems? C.J. Cherryh's "Downbelow Station" series used the latter concept--ships themselves carried and forwarded information from station to station. As soon as they arrived, they transferred the latest news to station computers. In Star Trek, there was "subspace" (faster than light) communications.

Our jump points suggests it's more like the C.J. Cherryh model.

Similarly, does it really take 20 minutes to cross Gemini sector, or are we just selectively compressing time/space for playability, even without autopilot? I like the idea that other systems aren't really minutes away--to me, it makes the universe a little too small. However, my preference does make it a little silly to accept a "rescue pilot" mission 3 systems away, if that's really, perhaps, 3 days.

Either choice affects what sort of information would be available on neighboring systems' commodity prices. But, to use the Cherryh model, knowing the recent price of nearby systems, and the slightly older price of more distant systems, and a huge event from a week ago across Gemini, makes exploration a lot more interesting--assuming, of course, the prices aren't completely preset by cargo.csv.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

For myself, I'd rather favor a concept concerning fast gaming. WCU will make the universe much larger, giving you more chances to cross the universe in at least an hour :lol:

Why not having GNN messages like: Riots on Mjolnir, Weapons desperately needed, Prices x3?
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Hmmm, sounds good, but i am still trying to get over that shock of getting a REALLY bad grade for year 9.

Team Fortress 2
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

And year ten is too horrible to speak of..no one survived...
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Oohhh. I am cringing at the thought of showing Centerlink the report. It may result in my youth allowence to be cut of. i never relized how people (esp. girls) can effect you.

Team Fortress 2