Launch a MOD download website?

Forum For Privateer Remake

Would you like to see a MOD download page?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:36 pm

Yes, it's hard to find all the downloads for myself
14%
Yes, it's hard to find all the downloads for myself
14%
Yes, especially for new users
36%
Yes, especially for new users
36%
I don't care
No votes
I don't care
No votes
No, I can find everything for myself
No votes
No, I can find everything for myself
No votes
No, this would cause additional confusion
No votes
No, this would cause additional confusion
No votes

Total votes: 28

Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Launch a MOD download website?

Post by Dilloh »

Hello all,

I consider launching a website which is about downloading MODs, bugfixes, and so on. The PU thread is really confusing for new users, and lately there are new guys starting to mod not only new ships, but campaigns, artwork and so one. I would like to see a webpage as some sort of link collection to quickly find new downloads, still the discussions and betas should stay in this forum. Modders would be contacted or could submit links if a content is popular. I would take care of creating such a site, still other "members" would be more than welcome, because my webdesign skills are currently limited to basic HTML.

The page can also contain install instructions, explanaitons, FAQs, and of course links to personal webpages or other good stuff. I also plan a "joblist/wishlist" where people can focus on a job if they have the skills, but no idea what to do with their skills.

The mod gain is NOT creating a side game or disturbing the WCU developements, but adding more variety to the existing version, making the game even more enjoyable.

I would like to call it "Pimp my Remake", whereas P.I.M.P. stands for Privateer Remake Inofficial Modding Page.

So, what would you think about such a page?
zeo1234
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by zeo1234 »

Excellent idea Dilloh, especially for new users.

Not to mention just keeping the whole thing organized :lol:
HeyYou
Trader
Trader

Post by HeyYou »

A central location for mods would be great. Although, I must admit to some confusion over implementation. So far, it seems to me that there are several main files, and changing one of them, represents a "mod". However, if you see several ideas you like, whichever one you get last, would overwrite anything you have acquired before. Is this indeed the way it works?

If so, a program to compare two files, and only overwrite the items that have changed, would be a godsend..... If not, can someone explain this to me?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

HeyYou, you're talking about some sort of Win32 installer. This is exactly the kind of program we need to open up the gates for massive modding. If we can recruit someone with the adequate skills (VisualBasic should be enough), we would have the tool to combine mods. So - sadly - by now you're right.

I've slept over the whole idea so far, and here are some possible works for the joblist. All members feel free to post more.

- Win32-installer available to add, change and delete lines in units.csv, master_part_list.csv, weapon_list.xml, campaigns.py and maybe even more, without overwriting them. Maybe as future developement a "drag-and-drop"-tool allowing to add ships, values, fixers, missions, cargo types, etc. with just a few mouseclicks.
- Ships, Ships, Ships
- New bases, factions, star systems, equipment, cargo units
- Rebalancing values for speed, armor, weapons, reactors, etc.
- Rebalancing values for campaign missions (e.g. like dhague@cfo did)
- Creating new / better resoluted artwork for bases, fixers (who wants a kilrathi or firekkan officer?), even new rooms, animating static fixers (In the GG forum, I saw new textures for the Commodity Exchange and Oxford, I could contact those guys).
- Changing textures of existing ships (e.g. I saw a cool Centurion with pirate textures, or one without the shark mouth, implementing those to certain factions is easy)
- Change spawnings to give factions new ships (Retros deal with Kilrathi, so why shouldn't they have Kamekhs? Everyone in Gemini says they're a threat, but as long as they fly mainly Talons, they're cannon fodder)
- Changing the moments of Inertia - Giving e.g. PU ships an introducing moment, by possibly adding a side campaign, as an optional update for PU
- Creating whole new campaigns, remember the discussions about the Fralthi incident

Let's make this poll thread also a discussion place. If anyone would like to contribute by now, no problem! Just post, and contribute with ideas or uploads!

Btw, I also like a bit of chaos, but the PU thread has grown up to nearly 30 pages... Newbies don't want to read that much, be sure!
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Just a short preview for a possible banner or starting page - I want to make this thing not only to be good organized, but also good-looking :D

Picture deleted
Last edited by Dilloh on Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HeyYou
Trader
Trader

Post by HeyYou »

Not to pick nits, but that should be "Unofficial"..... Unless you are trying to make a statement.... LOL

Pimp My Remake? Hhhhmmmm..... Not that I have a better suggestion.

Like the ideas so far, If I had any programming skill, I would happily donate it, sadly, this is not the case.....
Coinneach60
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

GREAT IDEA

Post by Coinneach60 »

Speaking as a New Person, I think this is a great idea, as Dilloh, and others can tell you, I was very confused about which downloads to get. :D
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

HeyYou wrote:Like the ideas so far, If I had any programming skill, I would happily donate it, sadly, this is not the case.....
Ditto.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I think that would be cool. If i could i would. I see a small oppertunity to learn 3d modeling so i will try that but...
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Okay, thanks for the "inofficial" things. As I mentioned before, I'm from Germany so English isn't quite my mother language. Nevertheless, I'd really like to call it "pimp my remake" because it's funny and everyone knows what he should think about the page. It also says that modding is not restricted to funny improvements, but also allows things like eastereggs. E.g. I'm thinking about an advertisement in a backwater system.

Some words about contribution:
- When I became a member here this august, I knew nothing about the structures of VegaStrike. By now, I've looked up the csv and xml files that many times that I was able to bugfix PU to be more playable. Everybody can do this, talk about trial-and-error.
- For myself, I also have no idea about 3d modelling. Still I'm also willing to take a look at it. Creating variant ships can be a first step. If you have the idea of giving the Orion variants a cooler hull, it's just color editing.
- As you might now I created the PU huds - it was quite easy, the only skill required were fantasy and patience. It's the same thing with bugfixing. Have an idea, try it. The only things I ever learnt were basic HTML, VERY basic Java and basic Visual Basic at school (about 10 years ago). I'm no crack with thick glasses on his nose, in fact my job has nothing to do with computers.
- Other ways to contribute: I need help finding a stable server, free, the fewer ads the better, best thing would be a top level domain with FTP access and web space or at least a redirection. The location doesn't matter, because the page would be a link collection. I prefer servers in Germany for it will be my job to upload and I use dial-up.
- I'm looking for a reliable counter, download counter, maybe a guestbook or a small forum.
- I need someone to create a PU FAQ, containing e.g. the ships specs (max reactor, shields, weapons, speed, ...)
- HTML and Java veterans welcome.
- Create artworks, e.g. room interiors. It's just painting.

Anybody with ideas, post here. Btw: The poll only runs 14 days!
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

If you guys wanna have it hosted, let me know...

also, see what I did for the auto-updater for the WC1 multiplayer? Suggest you do the same thing (just copy the batch files).
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Hi spirit, thx for the offer. I'll run some page tests on my personal webspace but being hosted "near" PR and WCU would be nice, not to say me and the contributing authors would feel honoured.

I'll take a look at the WC1 MP tool, maybe we can make use of that. I'm quite familiar with batches.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Hey good idea... at first I was thinking it should have been a sticky (The mod thread I mean) but having a new section to the site may be a good thing to do. I mean look at how many posts that one thread has! Holy *&%$ that's a lot of posts. I think it may have earned it's own part of the site or something special. So all the more reason to give the mods it's own place, not just where to download but possibly forum too...
/v\4¥ 7|-|3 1337 |33 vv17|-| j00!
If you can't read it, it's obviously not.
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: Launch a MOD download website?

Post by Draken Stark »

Dilloh wrote:Hello all,

I consider launching a website which is about downloading MODs, bugfixes, and so on. The PU thread is really confusing for new users, and lately there are new guys starting to mod not only new ships, but campaigns, artwork and so one. I would like to see a webpage as some sort of link collection to quickly find new downloads, still the discussions and betas should stay in this forum. Modders would be contacted or could submit links if a content is popular. I would take care of creating such a site, still other "members" would be more than welcome, because my webdesign skills are currently limited to basic HTML.

The page can also contain install instructions, explanaitons, FAQs, and of course links to personal webpages or other good stuff. I also plan a "joblist/wishlist" where people can focus on a job if they have the skills, but no idea what to do with their skills.

The mod gain is NOT creating a side game or disturbing the WCU developements, but adding more variety to the existing version, making the game even more enjoyable.

I would like to call it "Pimp my Remake", whereas P.I.M.P. stands for Privateer Remake Inofficial Modding Page.

So, what would you think about such a page?
Hey well I'm in a web design class at AVTEC. We're currently learning perl, but we've already gone over javascript and HTML. I should be able to help if you need any. At least I'll try anyway.

lmao, BTW it'd be P.U.M.P. lol Cause inofficial isn't a real word, it'd be unofficial, just fyi. I thought it was funny though... Nice banner!
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@Dilloh
i think is also a good idea for the main mod and the multiplay mod of vegastrike and not only for the PR...
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

spiritplumber wrote:If you guys wanna have it hosted, let me know...

also, see what I did for the auto-updater for the WC1 multiplayer? Suggest you do the same thing (just copy the batch files).
Spirit, feel free to use my server if you want. I've just been upgraded from 50 gigs to 100 gigs. We're using 5 so far :)
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Wow!

Thanks!

Actually what I've been doing is piggybacking off sourceforge -- this is generally slower, but it allows for autoupdates easily so we're not in patch hell any more (which was, admittedly, my fault in the first place).

If you're actually running a box rather than colocating, would you consider hosting one or two systems for the multiplayer stuff? I know it's not really your thing, but it would make for a useful testing ground -- right now the push is to make sure that everything works in MP, and run single player the way the Quake games are run, as in a loopback server.

Besides, I think that 2-player coop missions would rock insanely. I call dibs on playing Mariko Tanaka of course :)
My Moral Code:
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Okay, back to PIMP, PUMP or whatever :)

I think we could also add the VegaStrike MOD links to this baby, since PU is the only really big thing by now, and I do not expect many many more large things coming up in the near future.

By now, I'm running a continously changing test page, at the moment rather small, but to give an overview of the design, it should be enough.

www.dilloh.keepfree.de

Btw, for adding multi language support I could use somebody familiar with any language except of german, as well as to correct my english.

@Draken Stark, thanks for the offer! By now I can't think of anything special, but at least I might have some ideas which can only be realized with Java. I'll let you hear about those.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

If you have a server, would you care sharing the load for one or two starsystems for multiplayer? If we have enough, we can do the whole gemini sector. How's that for priv online?
My Moral Code:
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

spiritplumber wrote:Wow!

Thanks!

Actually what I've been doing is piggybacking off sourceforge -- this is generally slower, but it allows for autoupdates easily so we're not in patch hell any more (which was, admittedly, my fault in the first place).

If you're actually running a box rather than colocating, would you consider hosting one or two systems for the multiplayer stuff?
I rent server space from 1and1.com, who are, I believe, the biggest presence provider in North America. I don't have a box. And certainly I don't rent a dedicated server; I only pay like 10 bucks a month :)
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Dilloh wrote:Okay, back to PIMP, PUMP or whatever :)

@Draken Stark, thanks for the offer! By now I can't think of anything special, but at least I might have some ideas which can only be realized with Java. I'll let you hear about those.
Well yea. We kind of just glanced over the basics of javascript but I still know how to use it.
Some random HTML document: wrote:<html>
<head>
<script language="javascript">
<!--
alert("this will pop up an alert message once the page loads");

function writeButton() {
document.all.blah.childNodes[0].data = "This text is loaded also when the page is finished loading.";
}

// -->
</script>
</head>
<body onLoad="writeButton();">
<span id="blah">this text will be replaced once the page loads</span>
<input type='button' value='Kenny' onClick='killKenny()'/>
<script language="javascript">
<!--
function killKenny() {
document.write("<font color='660000'>OMG! You killed Kenny!</font>");
document.bgColor="#990000";
}
// -->
</script>
</body>
</html>
and there you go... an html page with a single alert message from javascript with a few extras...
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Hi all,

I'm glad that by now 100% of the votes are positive. I've created some more design content whereas I'd like to hear some comments using this topic. I've created a wishlist for MODs so far and I'll soon begin to contact authors to fill the page with content. Anybody who has something to add or wants to contribute please post or pm.

Reminder: The page is currently available at www.dilloh.keepfree.de

Note that a few links are still broken and some others don't contain content at all.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Hello,

the poll is now closed and I want to thank all users for the overwhelming 100%-positive feedback. I hope I can complete the site this month so we can start of. There are several ways how users even without any special skills can contribute. If you have an own idea or want to contribute to one of the following, just post.

- Scout job: I need volunteer to browse the whole PR forum for current mods, contacting their authors and asking them if they want to share their mods at the site, e.g. by giving them the link to this thread to support them with all info they need.
- Gemini Gold scout: I further need some guys to browse the gemini gold forum, especially concering their current efforts in the artwork section. I've seen some beautiful hi-res base backgrounds which could be easily implemented into PR. The gg-scout might also want to contact developers, maybe they want to share content.
- Webdesign: I need a stable guestbook or better forum, and I'd appreciate the VS forum with its many function. If anybody can find something similar, please help. Also, If you are familiar with HTML, Java, CSS, etc. you could gain your own webspace access. It is of advance if more admins are involved.
- Non-mod site content: E.g. Guide to ships, upgrades, modding tuts, useful software, etc.
- A top level domain, low ad rate, web space with ftp access, css compatible, or a redirection.
- Small website extensions, especially a download counter, auto submit tables (e.g. for news so that I don't have to write into the code every time there is something new; or for download and user lists).
- Content!!!
- Propaganda! Take the URL of the site into your signature.

Thanks so far,

Dilloh

P.S.: When I talk about "jobs", I don't mean anything which you have to do. This site shall be a hobby, there won't be any pressure behind it. But it would be nice if somebody says "I'll take care of XYZ".
Draken Stark
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Draken Stark »

Dilloh wrote:Hello,

the poll is now closed and I want to thank all users for the overwhelming 100%-positive feedback.
<.< ... It's actually 99%

28 + 71 = 99 ...So there's at least 1% still missing. >.< But at least it's not negative either. lol

I'm not really sure what exactly I could help with really >.< The most I've played with server-side was Perl. Learning PHP right now <.< but we just started on that. So really... if you need any basic html I should be able to help just fine... Javascript is good too if you ever find a need for that. Just it'd help if you knew exactly what you wanted >.< PM me on the details if you wish, I'll try and get back with you once I'd have some working code for you afterwords.
OnyxPaladin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by OnyxPaladin »

Dilloh wrote:But it would be nice if somebody says "I'll take care of XYZ".
::shoots XYZ in the head:: he's taken care of, happy now?