Launch a MOD download website?

Forum For Privateer Remake

Would you like to see a MOD download page?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:36 pm

Yes, it's hard to find all the downloads for myself
14%
Yes, it's hard to find all the downloads for myself
14%
Yes, especially for new users
36%
Yes, especially for new users
36%
I don't care
No votes
I don't care
No votes
No, I can find everything for myself
No votes
No, I can find everything for myself
No votes
No, this would cause additional confusion
No votes
No, this would cause additional confusion
No votes

Total votes: 28

spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

meow :shock:
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Melonhead
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Melonhead »

In the category of "current mods," it would also be helpful if those working on the mods make clear what their status is. Most of the player patches have ended up on a gaming server for a short time, but it's clear there is work going on by the main developers that most of us aren't aware of--maybe because it's not ready, maybe because we didn't check the right thread, maybe because it got deleted from the gaming server before we found it. But, anyone with content who has read this thread needs to post what they have available that they could share, even if it isn't ready for prime time, even if it isn't available as a neat installation package.

Honestly, every time I think, "Hmm...I could maybe get involved by doing X," I've discovered someone has already done X, or at least started it--but getting the code isn't easy.

With content available, it's then a lot easier for anyone to post the "how to" of downloading and using it, and for others to provide feedback. (Not that I'm implying coders don't always completely document their work in a way understandable to mere mortals...I would never imply such a thing. I would state it as axiomatic! :D )
Misguided
Trader
Trader

Post by Misguided »

Draken Stark wrote:
Dilloh wrote:Hello,

the poll is now closed and I want to thank all users for the overwhelming 100%-positive feedback.
<.< ... It's actually 99%

28 + 71 = 99 ...So there's at least 1% still missing. >.< But at least it's not negative either. lol
Blink

Blink

Are you making a subtle joke?

Hope so. :D

-Misguided
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

@Melonhead
I created the joblist to give an overview of what is already done and what not. The more people participate, the tighter this web is. By looking at the list you would be sure what nobody else has ever tried before. Unfortunately, nobody has submitted content yet and I didn't contact the example content authors yet.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I can help in writing walkthroughs to easter eggs and the such.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Finally! Thank you!

I'd favor a list of buyable items for this or that ship. But if you want to do an easteregg guide, do it and I'll submit in.

I'll take care of HTML implementing, so I just need text and images.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Ok, i may need to clarify some things. i should have said i may be able to help. i'm not sure i have not been playing PR for a while as i'm waiting for a Patch from my brother. but i may be able do a walk through for the side line with what's her name.

Team Fortress 2
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

My brother likes PR so much he forgets to download me downloads for me.

Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Just one more idea - we should repack the Tarsus Mk2 & Parallel PU mod threads into an easily downloadable format. Is there any way we can convert the threads into PDF so newcomers don't have to slog through 40+ pages of html ?
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

There is, at least if you take screenshots. But that'd make a several meg download. Easier would be to create a rtf or doc as MS-Word allows weblinks in documents.

But I think a FAQ on the Mod page would make such a pdf not necessary, since you would find most answers (installing, mod howtos) there and the rest could be posted.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Hello all,

I've decided to take a break concerning the establishment of this website. Okay, I must admit that I haven't made anything for the last weeks. Parallel Universe is currently getting larger and larger. There's a lot of work to do. Additionally, the threads will have a new structure and most of the single mod efforts will melt into the upcoming PU version. So I'll first of all wait for the outcome of the new threads. If there's still confusion, I'll repost.

Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback and keep on watching. This site hasn't died yet... it's just sleeping.

P.S.: The FAQs and walkthroughs will be put in, either into a website or into a moderated thread. So, and this one goes to Andy and other contributors, keep on working at your guides.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Dilloh wrote:Hello all,

I've decided to take a break concerning the establishment of this website.
I think that's a good idea. We can work on the site later. Will get us help :)
zeo1234
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by zeo1234 »

Dilloh wrote:There is, at least if you take screenshots. But that'd make a several meg download. Easier would be to create a rtf or doc as MS-Word allows weblinks in documents.

But I think a FAQ on the Mod page would make such a pdf not necessary, since you would find most answers (installing, mod howtos) there and the rest could be posted.
Adobe Acrobat has a print utility which lets you create PDF's from other programs. Basically just choose the Adobe PDF printer just like you would any printer you have installed, choose appropriate print settings, and print.

(Note there are other 3rd party programs available online that do the same thing)

A PDF would be generated and you're set. Acrobat itself can then optimize it for reduced file size. Though if you have the full version you can edit it as well.