New to PR, thanks!

Forum For Privateer Remake
Pravus Prime
Explorer
Explorer

New to PR, thanks!

Post by Pravus Prime »

Greetings!

I moved not that long ago, and got a new computer. Believe it or not, my first thought was to install Privateer. I had recently heard about DOSbox's version, and had Gemini Gold (Which I gave up on). So, I downloaded this, and gave it a try. If anything I mention has already been brought up, I apologize, I suppose my only excuse is I'm new and didn't see it. Bear with me, I may ramble a little bit.

You've created one hell of an addictive and fun game.

I suppose we've all got our original Privateer stories, mine was it was a birthday gift, along witha joystick for the home PC when I was a young teen. It took a while, but I eventually got the hang of it, and loved it dearly. Over time, I tried a few times to get Privateer working on later computers, all ending in failure. To be honest, I never played RF, just the original missions, and then started two different save games, one as a merchant with a Galaxy, the other as a hunter with the Centurian. I probably played the game more after completing the storyline than I did before and during; it was truly that much fun for me.

So, I've first got to comment, I really like some of the upgraded features, like Turret AI (Something I always wanted, if I couldn't have a "Crew" multiplayer feature.), Autotracking, the ability to have more than one ship to your name, More ships to buy and fly, and better graphics. All great, all there. I found myself rather addicted, playing into the wee hours of the morning, upgrading and playing away. I'm in RF now, enjoying the plethora of upgrades that comes with it. Fortunately, my merchant ways beforehand got me a fortune, so I was able to afford them right off the bat, making the experience even more fun.

It's not perfect, but it's not too far off. I do have a few complaints. The obvious first, Palan, Oxford, and ES had a few missions that were an outright pain in the butt, requiring more than one attempt on a few of them. I was playing on Easier, and, well, I think it should be quite easy, given that it's supposed to be easier than easy. You've got a lot of difficulty levels, and Easier should be for less frantic playing, and more relaxing playing, IMHO. Make the players ship stronger or does double damage or somesuch in easier. I don't mind having a challenging game, and I like that sometimes, but I also sometimes like to just fly around without being paranoid for a while.

Another issue that I have a slight problem with may not be fixable, given the game engine and all that, but I don't like the jump system. By that, I mean that instead of the old cutscene, we get the stationary location, and graphics effect. Only because you can get blown up waiting. (Which is actually what I got stuck on and why I quit playing Gemini Gold) I don't know if the jump time can be cut down, or if that's really how you guys want it, or what. It's just something that I have a slight issue with. (I've never had to worry about being blown up so far jumping in PR, but it could come up.)

Also, I, well, I don't like the asteroids in PR. I've been destroyed 3 times by a major asteriod collision from the rear. Maybe a setting that turns off Asteroid damage or somesuch? That would be quite nice. I'm not saying I want a challengeless game, but sometimes it can get frustrating. I don't know, maybe I'm not that good of a gamer. (Once again, being destroyed by an Asteroid you didn't see coming from behind in Easier difficulty isn't a whole lot of fun; I'd expect that to come with the territory in the harder difficulties.)

I've always been a fan of the Galaxy; but then again, I do prefer being a merchant. With the Turret AI, and a boatload of upgrades, it's a pretty fun ship to fly, thank you.

Now, speaking of turrets, I suppose that's my other minor issue. In the original Privateer, you could equip them as you saw fit. So, my Galaxy for instance, had a Missle Launcher and Tachyons on the top turret, and Plasmas and a tractor beam on the bottom turret. That way, I had 3 missle launchers, and a tractor beam total. Here, I either haven't figured it out, or it doesn't work to tractor something in from a turret, and there's no option to equip them with anything other than a tractor beam. If that's the trade off for Turret AI, I certainly won't complain, but it's minor and I'd be remiss if I never mentioned it.

Also, given the number of posts here about it, I upgraded the Orion I had (I told you, I made a lot of money) with RF upgrades, and went out; between those upgrades and turret AI, I may start playing the little tank that can.

Given that, like I said, that's my little list of complaints. It's not much really, and by and large, it doesn't detract at all from the fun of playing it. I really do like this game, and I appreciate all the effort made into making it.

QUESTION As I've stated, I've started playing RF, which I've never played before, and I do have a question, I had read that you do get your Steltek gun back; when you do, do you automatically lose an equipped gun, or does it go in the hold, or what? I'd prefer it go back to the Centurian from which it was stolen (And still has an empty weapons slot), rather than losing a gun on say the Galaxy or the Orion.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

You can cut the jump time by accessing the .cvs files. they in the column title something allong the lines of "jump time" or something.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2