The cheats from original privateer [spoiler]

Forum For Privateer Remake

do you think the cheats should be put into the next privateer remake (if their not already in)?

yes
19%
yes
19%
no
27%
no
27%
their already added
4%
their already added
4%

Total votes: 26

jesse60905
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

The cheats from original privateer [spoiler]

Post by jesse60905 »

In the original privateer by hitting (alt+o) it would bring up a menu with the options: Invulnerability, Unlimited Missiles, Sound off, and 1 more i don't remember. And there was a program called "predit.exe" that if run in dos would change the guns (yes you could even get steltek) and missiles. Even your ship type. Are these options in the privateer remake v1.2?

Reply with an answer because i dont want to download the program without having those (im a cheater btw).

Thanks,
Jesse
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

They are not in PR. And, BTW, they were no cheats but a training modus. You couldn't proceed in the campaign with those options toggled on.
AFAIK there is no plan to implement them. IIRC this question occured befor, but I'mto lazy to search for it right now. Anyways, I guess even if there were plans for this, they would have the lowest priority possible...
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

There are no plans that I know, and it doesn't make sense to implement them IMHO.

First, there are lots of (and more involved) ways of cheating in PR. But second, they were meant, as spiff said, meant to allow new players to get to know the game and its dynamics. That's not necessary in PR - players are usually fans of the original which already know it very well. Furthermore, I don't understand the "invulnerability as a learning aid" modus - I mean... what's wrong with load, and load, and load, and load again? Making you invincible or have unlimited ammo is actually antipedagogic, IMHO.

Anyway... you can cheat that way in PR (invincibility / infinite ammo), though it's a bit more involved than "pressing alt+o".
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
jesse60905
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jesse60905 »

ok i dont know what antipedagogic means but ill look it up in wikipedia. And how do you cheat in pr?
jesse60905
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jesse60905 »

ok what does antipedagogic mean
jesse60905
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jesse60905 »

anyone have suhggestions?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

antipedagogic = either does not teach a thing, or frustrates teaching attempts.
Wing Commander Universe
jesse60905
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by jesse60905 »

and the cheat question?
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

and the cheat question?
You can cheat via the .cvs files. you can toughen the sheilds and armor there, but if you turn the shields up you need to turn the reactor up as well but who cares. i haven't figued out the money thing yet. They (the PR guys) say that you can do it by opening some file, but can't find it.

Hpe that can help.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The money thing you do by opening your savegame with a text editor. One of the first numbers ( close to a rooftop symbol - ^ ) is the money number.

The savegames are, in Windows, in <program folder>/.privateer120/save
The name of the "hidden" folder (.privateer120) changes with the version, some other ones that have been are .priv100, .vegastrike, and... well, that's all I remember. But it's the only one starting with a dot, I think.
Wing Commander Universe
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

Found it and used it. i now have built my galaxy gunship with the proceeds.
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Starship_Gunner
Explorer
Explorer

*.cvs "tweaking"

Post by Starship_Gunner »

I loved the original privateer(and yes alt+O is a newbie training mod) and delved into editing savefiles using archaic DOS- a hit-or-miss - bak- up -as -often process just to gain advantage in various aspects of the game.
As this is a WCP/RF remake is a VS fanmod i would assume it lends itself to as much "tweaking" by its users and developers alike. Its an opportunity to be creative and learn more about the game engine.

<Colony Wars, ever hear of it?> :)
<Played it in my Playstation, cool game> 8)
<miss it though> :cry:
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: *.cvs "tweaking"

Post by z30 »

Starship_Gunner wrote:I loved the original privateer(and yes alt+O is a newbie training mod) and delved into editing savefiles using archaic DOS- a hit-or-miss - bak- up -as -often process just to gain advantage in various aspects of the game.
As this is a WCP/RF remake is a VS fanmod i would assume it lends itself to as much "tweaking" by its users and developers alike. Its an opportunity to be creative and learn more about the game engine.

<Colony Wars, ever hear of it?> :)
<Played it in my Playstation, cool game> 8)
<miss it though> :cry:
PR is easier to modify, editing the files using a csv editor or a spreadsheet beats editing a DOS binary file using a binary editor anyday :)