Or the Gettysburg-class. :D
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

I think I want to see the Thunderbolt VII in Privateer Remake Parallel Universe, maybe as the ship you can get if you choose to join the Confeds at the end of the Privateer campaign, if that makes it in.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I did second tayla mission in a Hornet. I completely forgot about William Riordian. I thought that i would be mince meat. I also took on two talons. Was VERY suprised to see that i took no damage. and then i jumped and saw some militia in need of help and so i destroyed all talons and on the last talon lost one of my mensons. No one told me that guns could be damaged in 1.2.

Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:I did second tayla mission in a Hornet. I completely forgot about William Riordian. I thought that i would be mince meat. I also took on two talons. Was VERY suprised to see that i took no damage. and then i jumped and saw some militia in need of help and so i destroyed all talons and on the last talon lost one of my mensons. No one told me that guns could be damaged in 1.2.
The Hornet is very hard to hit, it has the Dralthi quality of being wafer thin. In the beta patch, it won't be so invulnerable due to the higher weapon velocities. But, I've upped the Hornet CVL top speed to 1100kps so that should help.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

WHat post is this?

Is it possible to get flak battries?

Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Solon Halwinder wrote:I think I want to see the Thunderbolt VII in Privateer Remake Parallel Universe, maybe as the ship you can get if you choose to join the Confeds at the end of the Privateer campaign, if that makes it in.
I'll put this ship on the wish list (along with the Hellcat) and we'll have another round of discussions on this after the beta patch morphs into the real v1.10 release.

Sabre & the Kilrathi torpedo ship will be in the patch this weekend as the last round of ships to be added for now.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Can we have some dreadnoughts?

Just putting in my order:D

Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:Can we have some dreadnoughts?

Just putting in my order:D
Yes, of course :)

We'll have to get the new shield balance right though, I'm a bit vague on exactly which capital ships are immune to fighter fire.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Would that mean that a ship that had enough fire power would be needed to destroy them? Kirathi and confed?

Team Fortress 2
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

z30 wrote:I'm a bit vague on exactly which capital ships are immune to fighter fire.
I never played past WC2, but wasn't it anything above transport class at least in that?

Also, not sure how viable this is, but I recall from Freespace 2 that capships above Cruiser class had a "big-ship" tag which rendered them invulnerbale to all but bombs once they reached about 20% hull integrity. Maybe that would be viable?

(Then again, capships in that game didn't have shields and were typically a kilometer or more long.)
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Solon Halwinder wrote:
z30 wrote:
I never played past WC2, but wasn't it anything above transport class at least in that?

Also, not sure how viable this is, but I recall from Freespace 2 that capships above Cruiser class had a "big-ship" tag which rendered them invulnerbale to all but bombs once they reached about 20% hull integrity. Maybe that would be viable?

(Then again, capships in that game didn't have shields and were typically a kilometer or more long.)
We could have special shields only for cap ships, something that would regen 4-5x faster than what our current ones normally do. Maybe for destroyers , dreadnoughts, carriers and anything above that.

Anything near the corvette class (or Drayman transport) class would carry heavy shields but still be vulnerable to heavy fire.
micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:
Would that mean that a ship that had enough fire power would be needed to destroy them? Kirathi and confed?
I expect that a ship with level 7-9 shields would be pretty difficult to take down with a medium fighter. This is a good thing, as Demons are too powerful right now - I'll probably downgrade their missile capability to medium missiles at the most, no torps.

Should a medium merchant ship like the Galaxy have torp capability? The HK & GS variant should definitely have it but I think heavy missiles should be rare on merchanters vessels.

Would people suffer too much if the Tarsus & TarsusMk2 couldn't have proton torpedoes?
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Yeah, they probably would, unless you plan to make torpedoes "two hits kill a heavy cruiser" like they did in WC2.

Also, IIRC, they DID cause shield damage.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

Solon Halwinder wrote:Yeah, they probably would, unless you plan to make torpedoes "two hits kill a heavy cruiser" like they did in WC2.

Also, IIRC, they DID cause shield damage.
7 torps straight to the Drayman's rear just turns it's tail pale pink, so we should be far off from the two-hit killer thing :)

Current torp damage is 101 MJ value but straight to the hull, I could right up some lesser damage (say 30 MJ) to the shields as well.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:WHat post is this?

Is it possible to get flak battries?
Next patch, when we start bringing in corvettes/destroyers/dreadnoughts we'll have to look at the capital ship weaponry and bring what we need in from the WCU units file.

I'd also like to bring in fighter bases - New Detroit needs one since it's a Confed/Hunter center.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Grikath & Sabre snapshots

Post by z30 »

Some snapshots of the actual WCU models. I used objconv.exe to convert the BFXM files to OBJ format - something that Wings3D could digest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

z30 wrote:I expect that a ship with level 7-9 shields would be pretty difficult to take down with a medium fighter. This is a good thing, as Demons are too powerful right now - I'll probably downgrade their missile capability to medium missiles at the most, no torps.

Should a medium merchant ship like the Galaxy have torp capability? The HK & GS variant should definitely have it but I think heavy missiles should be rare on merchanters vessels.
Demons are supposed to be cap-ship killers.

Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

micheal_andreas_stahl wrote:
z30 wrote:I expect that a ship with level 7-9 shields would be pretty difficult to take down with a medium fighter. This is a good thing, as Demons are too powerful right now - I'll probably downgrade their missile capability to medium missiles at the most, no torps.

Demons are supposed to be cap-ship killers.
I looked it up in my favorite Privateer (original) spot, and the Demon *is* supposed to carry them. But it's going to be 7 torps and not 10 based on the new missile size values.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Well if it were taken out you could always edit the cvs files. :D

Team Fortress 2
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Cutlass !!!

Post by z30 »

I am very happy to report that Spirit has given her blessings for the Cutlass to be included in the user mod. I've attached her message which details how the ship came about, it looks like the original intent to position it as a pirate ship makes sense.

4 Mass drivers should pack quite a punch, and the pirate faction really needs strengthening.

It's a beautiful ship and well worth the effort of porting.

Thanks Spirit!

=============
To: z30
Subject: Re: Cutlass
Please do!

The Cutlass is a kitbash of Scimitar and Raptor parts that came about when a naval yard tasked with dismantling the aging fighters found out that it was a lot more profitable to buy scrap metal from pirates and sell them a fleet of unregistered ships without make-and-model ID. The ship is basically the front section of a Scimitar welded to the back of a Raptor, and no two are exactly alike as the work was done under the table. As a result, the shields aren't very well designed to fit around the hull and result flimsy for the power they drain, but the hull itself is extremely well armored.

Standard armament is four mass drivers.

Post by spiritplumber »

Hey guys, don't go remaking WCU by adding too many ships :) I will rerelease WCU with at least a bit of multiplayer support when I can. This said, I'll keep working on things.

A problem is that a lot of the WCU-only things, like crew, are incompatible with the VS codebase so they'll have to be redone.
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

spiritplumber wrote:Hey guys, don't go remaking WCU by adding too many ships :) I will rerelease WCU with at least a bit of multiplayer support when I can. This said, I'll keep working on things.

A problem is that a lot of the WCU-only things, like crew, are incompatible with the VS codebase so they'll have to be redone.
I liked that feature of WCU, being able to recruit people to man the ship.

Small subset of WCU only, I promise :) We just want a decent ship line for each guild (merchant, militia, hunter, maybe pirate or confed) because eventually not all guilds will be open to players.

Once a choice is made others will be closed or will only offer a limited number of ships.

I'm hoping we can implement the militia guild , to be based on Goss' Drayman CVLs, in the next patch.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

Hmm... You could tie that into the bonus storyline.

And it's not something I'm asking, it's just that I'm saying 'don't reinvent the wheel!"

A lot of ships have already put into units.csv for WCU after all, if it makes life easier, feel free to plunder it :)
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by z30 »

spiritplumber wrote:Hmm... You could tie that into the bonus storyline.

And it's not something I'm asking, it's just that I'm saying 'don't reinvent the wheel!"

A lot of ships have already put into units.csv for WCU after all, if it makes life easier, feel free to plunder it :)
Actually to be honest, we've been so busy plundering the riches of WCU that we've forgotten to take a look around WCU ingame and really see what's available. It's the attraction of adding these to the very stable code base of PR that's driving most of us but I have a feeling we're missing the elephants in the forest *G*
z30
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Cutlass pics

Post by z30 »

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index. ... 586.0.html

Pics from the original post above, when the Cutlass was first introduced.

Definitely a militia or hunter ship based on the short description by Lynx, this is not something the Confed will still be using.

I'm thinking Hunter, so players have two medium fighters (ie. Centurion) to choose from. This would match the two medium Militia fighters in PU 1.1b (Kukhri & Scimitar).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.