Forum For Privateer Remake
AriannaWyvern
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by AriannaWyvern »

I played this game back when it first came out. And continued to play it for a few years, then I lost the disk and when I downlaoded the old version recently it wouldnt work on my computer. I attempted to download the remake from this site, but unfortunately I couldnt get it. I only have a 56K and it is very unstable. It will take me a total of 17 hours to download this game and I was able to make it about 7 before my internet restarted. There is no way that I will be able to get this game unless it can be broken down into multiple files of about 50 megabytes. This would be extremely helpful and I think what you guys are doing is very cool. I hope that you will help me out and I am sure that there are other people out there like me. Thanks.
Solipsist
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Solipsist »

I'm sure someone can mail you a copy on a CDR. Ask the project maintainers, I'm sure they can help you.
AriannaWyvern
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

How To?

Post by AriannaWyvern »

How can I get a hold of them, is there some place that I can get their email address?
killertofu
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by killertofu »

You need a new ISP. On my 56k it took, at an average speed of 5.5k, 9:50:09. I have been connected fore 3 months. Use getright.com or another download manger. Disable the acceleration it does not work and can cause problems for the web site you are download from. It can even get you band!
rockstar
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rockstar »

Downloading this remake with 56k modem is pain in the ass... anyways.

I guess, the reason the original Privateer version is not running on your rig is 'cause it's a DOS game and you're actually using an operating system that does not provide the needed DOS support for running the game properly.
But there is a simple solution called DOSBox. It's an x86 emulation software that simulates a DOS OS for running old games like Privateer.
Check this link for more information... DOSBox

It's less than 2 Mb so you should have no problem downloading although you're on 56K only.

Concerning this mailing of a copy it would be good to know where you're living... if you're incidently living in Germany I might help you out with a copy. Just send me a PM with your address and I take care of the rest... promised. For other nations you rather ask someone else 'cause I don't want to pay a fantastillion to send a mail around the world ^^
Be lenient with my english skills... still using a dictonary. http://dict.tu-chemnitz.de/
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

I couldn't get Privateer to run under DOSBox... I think I need a joystick.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Halleck wrote:I couldn't get Privateer to run under DOSBox... I
you need to edit DOSbox config. Either you have to use EMS or XMS and switch of the other one off. You got to try which one of the two is right...
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
TrigunX
Explorer
Explorer

Post by TrigunX »

as taken form that other WC site on how to get the wc games to work in dos box :oops:

1. Download DOSBox 0.63

2. When you load the program, you're presented with a Z drive dos interface. If you have Wing Commander games already copied to a hard drive directory, type "mount c: c:\wingcommander" where c:\wingcommander is the directory of your game.

3. Typing in "c:" will now take you to a C prompt where you can type the name of the executable or install file for your game. You may need to go into the installation menu to setup sound and music. DOSBox defaults the sound card's IRQ to 7.

4. Some games will run just from there. USB joystick support is automatic and EMS support is on by default. Some games, such as Privateer and Armada, need EMS to be disabled. DOSBox will install a dosbox.conf file. You can open this up and change "ems=true" to false to turn off EMS.

5. Additionally, some games may need an additional entry to execute. Privateer and Armada run well with "loadfix -65" typed before the game's main executable (for example "loadfix -65 armada"). The -65 is optional and variable, but we've had best luck with that value. Wing Commander 2 will also probably require "loadfix -32 WC2" to avoid some freezing a couple missions into the game.

6. Joystick and sound support may be glitchy depending on your hardware. In this case it can be difficult to get them to play smoothly. You can play with the CPU/frame rate options with Control+F7/F8 and Control+F11/F12. The game defaults to a 3000 cpu cycle speed. Games such as Armada will play best in the 6500 range (hit Control+F12 several times).

it worked for me XD
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

let me guess... wcnews.com? ... :mrgreen:
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.