Weapons to buy?

Forum For Privateer Remake
Zanfib
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Weapons to buy?

Post by Zanfib »

Hi, I've been playing for awhile and I was wondering what the 'best' weapon to buy is?

At the moment I'm in a Galaxy with a load-out of all lasers (guns & turrets) and am considering upgrading.
NoRespect
Explorer
Explorer

Post by NoRespect »

Well, that strongly depends on what you want...

Personally I found the combination of Tachyon Guns (available at Perry) for the Main Guns, and Laser-Turrets quite effective for the Galaxy.

Tachyons dont have the most punch, but they have a high range, high exit velocity and high fire-rate and inflict reasonable damage.
The Turrets got the problem, that they dont take the movement of their target into account but fire straight onto it, and they fire continously, so a light gun with low energy usage and very high exit velocity has the best chance to hit... so Lasers/Mass Drivers/Meson Blasters are useful there.

After you finished the main plot and started the RF-Campaign, you can replace the Tachyon Guns with Fusion Guns, which combine the advantages of medium with those of heavy guns... very powerful.

Oh, and another hint: When you are on Perry get Autotracking not only for your guns but also for your missile launchers... and then use Dumb Fire Missiles, which are extremely potent in combination with Autotracking.

With the galaxy you can't evade enemy fire very well, so the most effective strategy is to destroy the enemies as quick as possible. First, when they are approaching you, fly straight towards them and take the first 1-2 ships out with dumb fires and then finish the rest with your guns and turrets.
TBwaar
Merchant
Merchant

Post by TBwaar »

Before upgrading your guns, i recommend making sure you have any and all other upgrades you want first. The fact is lasers have their own advantages and are among the best weapons in the game. You will have to spend a lot of money to get guns that are only slightly better. If you want a general idea of which weapons are useful, take the damage and divide by the refire rate to get damage per second. Some guns look good when you consider their damage per shot, but the refire rate is slow and thus they actually put out less damage over time. Another thing to consider is your damage to power ratio. This is more important in ships with four gun mounts as you can quickly deplete your energy reserves. If energy is a factor, getting the most damage for your energy can be more important than damage per second because your guns won't fire at maximum rate if there isn't enough energy.
ijuin
Hunter
Hunter

Post by ijuin »

Another consideration is gun range and bolt speed (which are proportional to each other--the faster the bolts travel, the farther the gun can shoot). Neutron and Plasma guns have a range of only about 3,000 m, while Lasers have a range of about 4,800 m. Bolt speed is important because a Demon or Stiletto can actually OUTRUN your gun bolts on afterburner if you are tailing it and it hits the afterburner if you are using a slow gun like Neutron or Plasma. (faster than a speeding bullet! ^_^ )
He who lives by the sword . . . gets shot by he who lives by the gun.
Kreklewetz

Post by Kreklewetz »

In my galaxy, I used Tachyon Guns all around; main guns and top/bottom turrets. I found this effective as I could have all six firing at one target simultaneously, or multiple targets if I choose to let the turrets shoot as they pleased, and only be using the energy of shooting two. In a Centurion I always ran out of energy quickly because the four guns all use ship energy, this was something I didn’t have to worry about in the Galaxy. The only downside (other than a Galaxy being about as hard to hit as a large building with a bull’s-eye) was that the turrets aren’t the most accurate things in the world, but they do make for good suppressive fire and discourages would-be chasers if you decide to run away. Anyway, I never thought of lasers for turrets, the quick fire may make up for lousy turret aim, however, it’s free energy so perhaps you may as well use something slightly more demanding.