Gamebreaking: autotracking guns

Forum For Privateer Remake
kza
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Gamebreaking: autotracking guns

Post by kza »

Here is how typical combat goes for me.

I see the ship, i push L, i make sure it is on the screen. i hold down my trigger and no matter what kind of ship (minus drayman and capital ships), it blows up in the first pass and i dont even need to aim.

These things are extremely cheap to buy, take the fun out, and make the game way too easy.

I suggest either make them auto track only when your aimer is REALLY close to the ship, (that way it increases accuracy but not by a lot), or make the autotrackers cost WAY WAY more than they do now, or just scrap them completely.

a FF missle does 30 damage. a plasma gun does 28 damage. When i have 4 plasmas that autotrack, its like every shot i have 4 ff missles that autotarget. The difference is that their ECM systems dont block my bullets.

For cryin out loud, talons die in 1 shot! other ships take two or at the most, 3.
Privateer Ferrius
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Privateer Ferrius »

See, Talons have tissue paper for armor ... and neutron and ion guns especially will destroy them easy - ion and neutron both punch through sheilds, but not much through armor.

I agree though, there are balance issues with the guns, but autotracking just aggrivates an already exisiting problem - there sheilds in the game aren't properly balanced - a Talon can take out capship sheilds in one pass, the Talon just isn't likely to last the turret barrage to do a second run :mrgreen:

[edit] Maybe fighters would go down with a few hits ... but capships should NOT.
Cmdr. Micheal Ferrius (Ret.)
Retired Confederate Pilot

For Hire!
Post jobs to the BBS!

Tengoku de omachi shite imasu
NoRespect
Explorer
Explorer

Post by NoRespect »

I really don't see the point... If you find the game too easy with autotrackers, don't use them. You don't have to buy them after all, and even if you already did, you can disable them, pressing the "k" key.

It is much harder to hit small, maneuverable ships in the remake than it was in the original, and many people will find it impossible without autotracking, particularly if you pilot a more cumbersome ship, like the galaxy.
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Did you do any of the campaigns? Or clean sweep missions? I too do enjoy playing the game without autotracking. And it is definitly, not as some people say, doable. Yet, I don't feel autotrackers make you an undefeatable bastard. If you meet five pirates and a number of dralthi or gorthi at one jumppoint, your amor and shields can drop very fast, no matter how many bursts you need to take out one talon.
Little bonus hint: Don't use sustained fire. Most of it will go into nowhere and the enemys shileds will regenrate much faster. Especially if you ride the fourgunned centurion, use single burst with all four guns. This is much more effective...
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
Privateer Ferrius
Venturer
Venturer

Post by Privateer Ferrius »

Unless you're a capship with turrets - since turrets have their own power sources, fire at will 8)
Cmdr. Micheal Ferrius (Ret.)
Retired Confederate Pilot

For Hire!
Post jobs to the BBS!

Tengoku de omachi shite imasu