New to forums and game - got questions

Forum For Privateer Remake
Malfious
Explorer
Explorer

New to forums and game - got questions

Post by Malfious »

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and forums in general so I hope you are all patient and caring (looks around nervously)

I joined the forum for two reasons
1. To say what a great job everyone has done with the whole VegaStrike thing and the various mods available for it. My dads currently playing VegaStrike and I'm playing Privateer because when I was little I used to watch my dad play it and now I've got the opportunity thanks to this community to play it myself.

2. I've encontered some bugs and difficulties and was wondering if some forum users could help out (isn't that what the forums for)?

a) I've pretty much breezed through the game with ease but I've recently got stuck in the Palan system for the blockade mission (the first one, dreading the latter ones). I've got a fully souped up Centurion with tachyon cannons but I can never win (and no cats seem to show up and help either which is annoying). I've tried hiring wingmen but they are sooo expensive for just buying extra time towards my inevitable death. I tend to use dumbfire missiles but if anyone can help then please lend advice for this mission.
b) how do you use the forward mounted tractor beams that you attatch to your guns? not the normal tractor beams the other ones. i know how to flick through weapons but tractors never show up :(
c) did enemies always follow you to the ends of the Earth? even through jumps? i can't remember them doing so as often when I watched the old game and how come sometimes theres loads of ships waiting for you at a jump sometimes? theres so little you can do.
d) the afterburner has infinite energy no matter what reactor you have
e) the onboard scrolling mission computer is a great idea, but in the Centurion it seems to lack the detail and ease of use as it did in the Tarsus.
f) having new ships is good but where do you get them?
g) i can't buy a cargo expansion for my Centurion even though I'm sure you should be able to.
h) I've heard of a brand new campaign (in addition to Righteous Fire) nice going there but how do you start it and where do you recommend to play it eg after main campaign, righteous fire, doesn't matter? etc

Anyway great VegaStrike and everything and my points, while some seem negative, does not mean in any way i'm not enjoying your hard work. Any chance of doing Privateer 2 but as a continuance rather than a new game?
"I'm just a lost tourist."
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
Location: somewhere in the middle of nowhere, under a tree, facing the sun...

Re: New to forums and game - got questions

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hi, welcome on the board.
Malfious wrote:Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and forums in general so I hope you are all patient and caring (looks around nervously)

I joined the forum for two reasons
1. To say what a great job everyone has done with the whole VegaStrike thing and the various mods available for it. My dads currently playing VegaStrike and I'm playing Privateer because when I was little I used to watch my dad play it and now I've got the opportunity thanks to this community to play it myself.

2. I've encontered some bugs and difficulties and was wondering if some forum users could help out (isn't that what the forums for)?

a) I've pretty much breezed through the game with ease but I've recently got stuck in the Palan system for the blockade mission (the first one, dreading the latter ones). I've got a fully souped up Centurion with tachyon cannons but I can never win (and no cats seem to show up and help either which is annoying). I've tried hiring wingmen but they are sooo expensive for just buying extra time towards my inevitable death. I tend to use dumbfire missiles but if anyone can help then please lend advice for this mission.
Ok, this answer is about boards and the game. Every board or forum has its search function. it's somewhere at the top of the page. There have been thausends of threads about the palan and oxford missions and I'm sure you'll find them with search and they'll help you. ;)
b) how do you use the forward mounted tractor beams that you attatch to your guns? not the normal tractor beams the other ones. i know how to flick through weapons but tractors never show up :(
IIRC, those tractorbeams appear in the gun menu as every other gun (press g). As about using the searchfunction of the board first, there is also a manuel.pdf in the downloaded files ;)

c) did enemies always follow you to the ends of the Earth? even through jumps? i can't remember them doing so as often when I watched the old game and how come sometimes theres loads of ships waiting for you at a jump sometimes? theres so little you can do.
Yes, the afterburners become directly charged from the reactor. In the original game there was lilited afterburner fuel. Most people prefer it this way. If you don't, play Privateer Gemini Gold, a purist version of the remake. It sticks closer to the original...
e) the onboard scrolling mission computer is a great idea, but in the Centurion it seems to lack the detail and ease of use as it did in the Tarsus.
:?: Which version do you play?
search functions... milions of thread on the board... just have to look for them ;)
g) i can't buy a cargo expansion for my Centurion even though I'm sure you should be able to.
IIRC, you couldn't in the original game as well...
h) I've heard of a brand new campaign (in addition to Righteous Fire) nice going there but how do you start it and where do you recommend to play it eg after main campaign, righteous fire, doesn't matter? etc
About finding the start of the bonus campaign I might say you wanna use the search function... LOL but as well I might tell you to fly to an base in Tingerhoff...
You can start the bonus campaign whenever you want IIRC (maybe not during the original campaign... dunno for sure)
Anyway great VegaStrike and everything and my points, while some seem negative, does not mean in any way i'm not enjoying your hard work. Any chance of doing Privateer 2 but as a continuance rather than a new game?

Didn't you already ask this question on the WCU board? It's the same people you know... :wink:
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

---------------------------------------------------
What's mind? No matter... What's matter? Never Mind!

Insanity is just a state of mind!

That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.
spiritplumber
Developer
Developer

Post by spiritplumber »

WCU will continue Grayson Burrows' story. :) Best we have right now...
My Moral Code:
- The only sin is to treat people as if they were things.
- Rules were made for people, not the other way around.
- Don't deceive. Real life is complicated enough.
- If all else fails, smash stuff.
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Re: New to forums and game - got questions

Post by Solon Halwinder »

Malfious wrote:a) I've pretty much breezed through the game with ease but I've recently got stuck in the Palan system for the blockade mission (the first one, dreading the latter ones). I've got a fully souped up Centurion with tachyon cannons but I can never win (and no cats seem to show up and help either which is annoying). I've tried hiring wingmen but they are sooo expensive for just buying extra time towards my inevitable death. I tend to use dumbfire missiles but if anyone can help then please lend advice for this mission.
Demons are definitely overpowered right now; I believe that there are plans to downgrade them in v1.3.
I think your trouble is that all you purchased was the Tractor Capability and didn't mount a Tractor Beam there. I thought it did the same thing you seem to think, but all it does is allow you to fit a tractor beam OR a gun on that mount; you can't have both. You could of course mount one in place of one of your missile hardpoints, or use a turret for that purpose.
I think that's a problem with how the Vegastrike engine handles spawning enemies. And personally, (could be wrong) I don't remember enemies following you between systems in the original.
Again, that's probably something to do with the VS engine.
Not sure what your issue is; both of them have one VDU. Can you elaborate?
Most planets/stations have ship dealers. If the one you're on doesn't, you'll have to go to another one. As for buying (in case you don't know), you can click "Ships" from the Ship Upgrades screen to get to Vegastrike's standard purchase screen, or you can click on one of the ships in the Dealer Room to do the Privateer trade-in (but as I recall that's still broken; last I knew it didn't give you credit for upgrades, just the ship. Or maybe it was the other way around.)
The Centurion could never fit a cargo expansion. There's a Small Cargo Expansion added once you get to Righteous Fire, but it's not worth it; it takes up four units of space in your Upgrades (the Centurion has 16 total) and it only adds 25 units of cargo space. My suggestion would be to get a Galaxy; one of the nice things about the VS engine is that it allows you to have multiple ships.
Personally, I did it before either Privateer or RF, because on one of the branches, a Kilrathi Cloaking Device was the reward (though it's been removed for the moment, no idea if it's coming back.) To start it, talk to Destinee, whom you can find in the bar at the refinery in the Tingerhoff system.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
Malfious
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Malfious »

Maybe your right about the Centurion Cargo Expansion, although when I looked at the original manual it said it could be upgraded from 50 to 75 and this was before RF, unless its a misprint or something....

Anyway I finished the Palan missions and now I'm on the last mission (I think) but I doubt it will be as hard as the Palan nightmare.

Any upcoming missions is RF or the new campaign that I should watch out for with stupidly hard circumstances? If I know now I'll become less emotionally crushed when I keep dying
"I'm just a lost tourist."
Solon Halwinder
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Solon Halwinder »

I don't really remember; I did the RF campaign back before the cloak was removed, and I was using it all the time except for blowing up mission targets.
"Ever tried to count hyperactive schoolchildren while someone shouts random numbers in your ear? It's like that."
--Geetra, frustrated mage (Magic: The Gathering)
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Malfious wrote:
Any upcoming missions is RF or the new campaign that I should watch out for with stupidly hard circumstances? If I know now I'll become less emotionally crushed when I keep dying
No, not in RF. If you fly an Centurion with Level4 Shields/ shield and weapon regeneration, 4 Fuison (sp?) Guns... there is hardly anything that can stop you....
You are a newbie and need help? Check out the Wing Commander Universe and Privateer Remake Library Project

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

sp: Fusion
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Spaceman Spiff
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

didn't know how to write it, guessed something... and then a typo... LOL