too choppy

Forum For Privateer Remake
briflenut
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

too choppy

Post by briflenut »

I installed remake, but it way too choppy, even after setting to the lowest settings, its too choppy. any fixes for that?
im not sure if I have a 3d card
-
drvoke
Merchant
Merchant

Post by drvoke »

You should find that out first.. or no one will be able to help you. Software rendering would certainly make the game very choppy, but the engine is very forgiving if you have some sort of 3D acceleration. Or to put it another way, I'm running a P3-450mhz w/512mb ram and a GeForce2 MX-400 and I consistently get frame rates in the 40-50 range in 1024x768 and upwards of 70fps at 640x480. Multiple asteroid fields slow the game down to 10fps(Damn Rikel!)for me, however.

So VS, and PR especially, run perfectly well on old crap systems. If your system is even remotely modern, you should have no problems.. But yeah, you will most definitely need a 3D accelerator to enjoy the game properly.

If you don't have a 3D accelerator, even buying the cheapest OpenGL compatible card you can find will dramatically increase the performance of the game. You can easily find something that will hold you over in the +-$25 range.

Good luck.
My poems crush bones into powder,
You mumble like a coward,
I'm Mos Def, you need to speak louder!
(Speed Law)
wendigo
Explorer
Explorer

Post by wendigo »

Ditto that. The machine I usually play PR on is an ol' P3-750, 640MB, w/ a GeForce 256 vid card. Plays like silk, for the most part.

For some reason, asteroid fields cause slowdown UNLESS I use the "Display Lists" option-- in which case the frame rate doesn't suffer much at all. Go figure.